Will there be new ASPC L-Mount lenses?

It has not been explicitly excluded, I think (and even then ...) . How about some scale-ups of m43 PanaLeica lenses, including IBIS? Sounds temping for me. Nocitcron 58/1.4 anyone? Or a nice 200-400 telephoto?

Didn't Sigma announce their roadmap back at Photokina, featuring their 16mm, 30mm and 56mm f/1.4's? Those are all APS-C.

@mediafotografie posted a snap a while back with it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I believe there is a real market for APSC specific lenses. If Leica is smart, they will recognize there are those who can either not afford or choose not to spend the money for a full frame system. It may be they are following the marketing of other camera manufacturers where you start a consumer in the APSC market and them move them into the full frame market. The reason I do not see this happening is the cost of full frame Leica lenses. If Sigma were to come out with a 10 mm f2 APSC designed lens that is of the same quality of their Art Series, I would definitely consider it. My preference would be for a Leica manufactured prime but if that is not available, Sigma would work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayBird said:

I believe there is a real market for APSC specific lenses. If Leica is smart, they will recognize there are those who can either not afford or choose not to spend the money for a full frame system. It may be they are following the marketing of other camera manufacturers where you start a consumer in the APSC market and them move them into the full frame market. The reason I do not see this happening is the cost of full frame Leica lenses. If Sigma were to come out with a 10 mm f2 APSC designed lens that is of the same quality of their Art Series, I would definitely consider it. My preference would be for a Leica manufactured prime but if that is not available, Sigma would work.

Or those who either do not wish or cannot (for health reasons) lug around 5kg of full frame kit. 😉

• Like 4

3 hours ago, shawrob said:

Anyone have any experience with the current sigma aspc lenses? 

No I have been reluctant to do it due to apparent compatibility issues with the Nikon systems. It seems whenever Nikon issues a new camera or firmware upgrade, the 3rd party manufacturers need to follow suit with the lenses. Hence the need for lens docks. Hopefully with the L mount alliance, we will not see those issues. I have seen some very good results from the Sigma lenses. There was a rumor going round a while back that Canon was considering buying Sigma. But nothing came of that.

3 hours ago, JayBird said:

No I have been reluctant to do it due to apparent compatibility issues with the Nikon systems. It seems whenever Nikon issues a new camera or firmware upgrade, the 3rd party manufacturers need to follow suit with the lenses. Hence the need for lens docks. Hopefully with the L mount alliance, we will not see those issues. I have seen some very good results from the Sigma lenses. There was a rumor going round a while back that Canon was considering buying Sigma. But nothing came of that.

the 56mm 1.4 looks quite compact, would definitely be worth a look with native L mount.

• 3 weeks later...

CL/TL really need fast ultra wide angle ASAP. 

No adapted M lenses can provide such wide angle of view at reasonable size, cost, speed and angle of view. 

Summilux or Summicron 14mm (21mm) and 16mm (24mm) please. 

Fast Summilux 18mm and 23mm can be a nice touch too 

Just now, jaapv said:

What photographic sense does a fast ultrawideangle on APS-C make? DOF will be from your toe-tips to the horizon at any aperture.

Astrophotography is one such application, that comes to mind.

One might also choose a fast wide for handheld architectural photography at night.

The trouble with what @nicci78 is proposing is Leica isn't going to [ever] choose weight and speed over image quality, so any fast wide autofocus lens is going to end up too large and heavy for what the APS-C L mount system is for.

More on that point, I think the upcoming Sigma 16mm f/1.4 port will fill that gap.

Until then, I'm happy with the wee 18mm prime, even though at f/2.8 it's not really considered fast.

The only real gap I see in the APS-C L mount world is a lack of stabilised lenses; but, let's be honest, no one here is missing shots because of that.

Well, for the first I think that even full frame is on the small side, let alone APS-C, for the second, the results will always be better using a tripod. Such a lens will always be a niche product. My guess is that the price would be  err... interesting, even if built by Sigma. My favourite  medium fast wideangle on the CL is the Summilux 24 M, and that one costs twice the price of the body. Hardly worth buying unless one already owns one for the M series.

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

What photographic sense does a fast ultrawideangle on APS-C make? DOF will be from your toe-tips to the horizon at any aperture.

I don't know your shoe size ;-), but a 16mm f/1.4 with subject distance at 2m would have a depth of field 0.92m (and a hyperfocal distance of 9m).

• Like 1