Leica Q or Leica CL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody!

I've a big doubt.

Leica Q or Leica CL??

I do predominantly street photography and travel reportage.

Full frame sensor or apsc sensor with the possibility to change lenses?

I come from canon system (6d with a lot of lenses).

I'm tired to carry on my photographic bag (6/7 kilos of stuff).

Thanks.

Marco Bucci 

https://www.marcobuccifotografia.com/

23/5000

• Like 1

Marco, welcome to the forum!  Either or both cameras would meet your stated requirements. Only if you feel strongly a need for focal lengths longer than 35mm or possibly 50mm would the CL become the better choice.

Have you seen my article published on Macfilos website http://macfilos.com/photo/2018/11/13/leica-q-28mm-focal-length-as-all-rounder? That feature will give you my insight to using the Q, a truly delightful and easy camera to use.

• Like 1

To begin with: APS-C and full frame: the difference in quality is minimal in Leica-land,  not a consideration for a buying decision for 95% of photographers.

For travel I would come down firmly on the side of the CL: a few zooms and maybe one small fast M mount lens will cover nearly all of your needs, whilst making for a versatile and compact set. The Q is an excellent camera as well, but more like a carry-everywhere street camera.

• Like 1

I agree with jaapv but my needs are different.  I too came from the Canon 6D world with lots of glass but the Q was an epiphany moment for me.

The Q is with me everywhere.  My 6D was replaced my the Canon R which I shoot as if it were my Q.  If I carry the R, I only carry the three lenses most likely to cover the event.

For travel next summer I may just carry the Q.  And travel lightly.  But my eye tends toward landscapes and occasional close-up detailed shots -- both done so well by the Q.  And street shooters love the Q.

But if you add portraits and rapid events, the CL might just be the ticket!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Imho it depends  on the point, if you will be happy only with a 28 mm lens or not. If only the 28 mm and some cropping in case of need is OK  for you, than take the Q, If not and you would like to have more choice regarding focal length in future i.e. a tele lens - take the CL. I had to make a similiar decision, when I decided to buy an additional camera to my Leica SL - which is excellent but heavy together with the lenses. My decision was in favour of the CL because I use this system, when I do not want  to carry the SL with me and the SL is not necessary. And for that purpose I need a wider range of focal length.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Q said:

The Summilux on the Q is superb. No other lens in the APS-C land can match it's rendering imho.

Now that is debatable as the CL can take a wide range of lenses, including, for instance, the Super-Elmar 18, which is as impressive, if not more so, than the Q lens. If you want speed at unmatched IQ, there is the Summilux 21, Voigtlander makes some impressive wides, and so on.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Now that is debatable as the CL can take a wide range of lenses, including, for instance, the Super-Elmar 18, which is as impressive, if not more so, than the Q lens. If you want speed at unmatched IQ, there is the Summilux 21, Voigtlander makes some impressive wides, and so on.

At the end of the day,  for image quality between identically superb lenses, does it not come down to the Q's capability for full frame vs. APSC rendering? 

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

Much of the magic of the Q is at f1.7 to f2 so the 18 SEM is not even remotely comparable. The 21 Summilux has a FOV closer to a 32mm lens. Again, not comparable.  And if you're willing to lose autofocus and MFD, I'm not sure why you'd shoot with a CL, as you'd get faster RF focusing and a better lens with a M and 28 Summilux combo.

At 28mm, the Q is king. The CL cannot compete.

Edited by Mr.Q
  • Like 7

I think both camera's have their place. I own and love the Q, mainly because the one lens option forces you to get the best out of the Q and laziness gets punished right away.

If you force your self to the single lens option the Q dictates, ultimately you will improve your on your photography.That being said....I am contemplating a second body. At first I thought CL!

But......the M10 is also on my mind. Ultimately I want a 2 body set-up. The Q which covers the 28 and 35 mm wide angle side of the spectrum. The CL or M10 in combination with a 50mm  FOV lens plus a short tele FOV 75-90mm should do the trick on the longer end. Choices........pffffff. The Q is described as Leica's Heroin Trick........I confess, I am hooked.

Whatever camera you decide on......you can't go wrong. The TL lenses seem highly regarded , specially the primes. The Q's summilux? No words needed.😉

Summary: If you can live with a one lens camera, go for the Q. If you want more flexibility in lens choice go for the CL. If you can afford it.....go for both.😀

My 2 cents...

Edited by MLochmansPhoto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I, too, am contemplating a 2nd camera, but not (alas) a rangefinder: I no longer trust my eyes. It will be the SL(2); Panasonic S1r; or CL--so it's a waiting game, as 2 of these cameras aren't out yet. But that camera is primarily for very long telephoto, so the the 1/2 sensor CL is especially attractive.

But I have done extensive traveling with only the Q and not for a second missed another focal length. As MLochmans says, the Q punishes laziness. It's sort of like cycling with a fixed gear bike: you are forced to get a lot more disciplined in the principles of the hobby. And the Q is just the coolest digital camera made. period.

It's funny that you called the Q Leica's heroin. The Leica salesman who sold me the Q warned me that it was "a gateway drug". Indeed!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I, too, am contemplating a 2nd camera, but not (alas) a rangefinder: I no longer trust my eyes.

It's funny that you called the Q Leica's heroin. The Leica salesman who sold me the Q warned me that it was "a gateway drug". Indeed!

If I decide to get the M10 I would also get the Visoflex 020 to cover the same problem. Also the M10 would be the only option for me because of the improved eye relief and 0,73 mag of the OVF.

Heroin trick......I should have known better, because I watched Overgaards video on the Q before buying. He opens that video with a big warning on that subject......but NO, I had to buy that bl**d* camera anyhow!😡😉

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2018 at 11:25 AM, wda said:

)Marco, welcome to the forum!  Either or both cameras would meet your stated requirements. Only if you feel strongly a need for focal lengths longer than 35mm or possibly 50mm would the CL become the better choice. 

Have you seen my article published on Macfilos website http://macfilos.com/photo/2018/11/13/leica-q-28mm-focal-length-as-all-rounder? That feature will give you my insight to using the Q, a truly delightful and easy camera to use.

good explanation !

that's exactly my point, PLUS: I don't want the deliberation on the question "which lens to put on?" (and carry the lenses)...

Edited by LexS

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Yesterday I treated myself with a brand new Leica CL. As discussed earlier in this thread I was contemplating to sell all my Olympus gear to buy a second body with lenses to accompany my beloved Q. Well....The Olympus gear did real good on a local auction/market site. So...that made the transition to a new CL with two M-Lenses relatively painless.😀

So .....as of this morning my CL is updated with the latest firmware, with my standaard user profile saved. The menu layout and general setting are so easy to figure out on the CL, I never had to look up something in the manual. The main menu screen shows 5 items as favorite and that's it. Manual focus only....... obviously with aperture set on lens. Shutter speed assigned to the LHS thumbwheel and ISO settings assigned to the RHS thumbwheel. That's it. Batteries are exchangeable between the Q and CL ,which was an important reason to go for the CL. 

Other reasons:

Outstanding IQ as shown in the dedicated CL image thread.

Compact and small footprint.

The option to buy AF lenses if my age gets in the way with manual focusing.

With the CL I bought a S/H Summicron M 35mm/f2.0 ASPH black 6-bit and a S/H APO-Summicron M 75mm/f2.0 ASPH black 6-bit.

Both in absolute MINT/As New condition with all the paperwork and boxes. 

Combined with the Q I now have everything covered from 28mm and 35mm (crop mode) on the Q and 52,5mm and 112,5 mm (FOV) on the CL. Which.....Is everything I need as my work setup. All of this fits nicely in my Tenba BYOB insert with room to spare for another lens in the future if needed. 

Unnecessary to say I am a very happy person right now. Going to take the CL out on its maiden voyage this day and will post my first results as soon as possible in the dedicated CL image thread.

Edited by MLochmansPhoto
  • Like 5

On 12/3/2018 at 3:00 AM, LexS said:

good explanation !

that's exactly my point, PLUS: I don't want the deliberation on the question "which lens to put on?" (and carry the lenses)...

the the Q and CL are not the same ... and speaking of focal length .. you always can use the Q cropping mode that leica set 35mm and 50mm and you still can control it as raw in post ... but for CL its different feel and camera than the Q .. so dont confuse your self .. look at my youtube I made videos about these confusions www.ramseyspencer.com