Leica m8 or 240 or m6

Mark ashfield

As Jaap says, difficult decision.

I have an original M8, and got it repaired about a year ago - the cost of the repair (shutter not cocking) was high - more than the market value of the camera.

Would I upgrade it? It does what I want it to do. Maybe upgrade to an M10, but that is a big step up in terms of cost. The M8 is fine for my photography.

I have a couple of film cameras; no Leica ones, but some rangefinders that I can use if I want - currently don't do film.

Would I purchase an M8? Why not? It's got its' problems, but less cost than an M10, and if money is an issue, an M8 is one that is good bang for the buck.

I would first decide whether you want to start out with a film camera or with a digital camera.

(a) film camera: if you consider using B&W film and doing the film developing at home, nothing beats the experience of a Leica film camera. You would need to scan the negatives to be able to post your images to the web. Many do it this way.

(b) digital camera: For expedience it is better to use a digital camera. No need for a scanner here. 

Once you know it is a or b, picking a camera becomes easy. 

For film cameras, there are many options if you prefer a Leica camera. I have an M6, and I love using it.  If you go with a digital Leica, I would go for the M240 if you don't mind the bulkiness. It is a tank. People who started many years ago with an M8 may still be in love with their M8. 

Edited by Raid Amin

1 hour ago, Mark ashfield said:

Hi new to Leica Cameras which one is best for newbie, m6 m240 or m8 . Could do with some advice. Regards mark 

As "new to Leica" user, the M that would have the "best learning curve with not so bad result" would be M (typ 240) family.

Don't forget which lens will be used, that decision may be 90% of "best" (for what , or what for as "best" means nothing here).

A couple of weighing factors - what do you wish to do with the camera, and how experienced with photography are you?  Depreciation is also a factor, although all three should have mostly leveled out by now.

If you are a seasoned user, and the delay and cost of film processing do not discourage you, a nice-to-mint condition M6 priced fairly will get you going, and can serve a lifetime.

If you are into experimentation, and not concerned about limits on maximum usable ISO, the M8 is a fun platform.  Color is like Kodachrome, B&W is like Tri-X, and you can shoot IR with an IR-Pass filter.  Be sure to check the back screen function, and for any "coffee stain" discoloration.  A mint M8 should not set you back more than $2000US, and again should serve well.  Keep in mind you will want to purchase UV/IR-Cut filters for your lenses for best color rendition.

The M240 is a capability beast, with excellent color & B&W capabilities, and an expanded high ISO range good for another 2 or 3 stops over the M8.  You also get the option of capturing 1080 video, although the built-in microphone is Mono, and the adapter for Stereo occupies the hot shoe.  You'll spend around double what an M8 or M6 will run you.

Does that help?  Any more insights on what you want to shoot?  Any more specific questions?

Welcome to the forum and the community of "M".

Eric

13 hours ago, Trivette said:

Try to find a good M8.2. (The shutter may be more reliable than that of the M8.) The M6 is wonderful for film, if you want to do film.

I am not aware of any shutter reliability difference between the M8 and M8.2 The only thing that changed was the loudness and with that the fastest speed was halved.

If anything, there were more broken shutters reported on this forum from the M8.2 than from the M8.

• Thanks 1

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Mark ashfield:

Hi new to Leica Cameras which one is best for newbie, m6 m240 or m8 . Could do with some advice. Regards mark 

No doubt: M (Type 240). Most versatile, superb rangefinder,  high sensor resolution, very good battery, a camera still up to date and imo very very nice looking especially the silver one.