My M8 got repaired by Leica

Raid Amin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M8 had some hot spots or pixels that crated a thin line on one side of each image. It cost me $500 to get the repair package at Leica NJ. These are my first results with the repaired M8 and the Version 1 35mm Summicron. I used LR5 to transfer the DNG files to jpg, and no pp has been yet used with any of these images. I need to straighten out the horizon in some of the images.

smugnug link: https://raid.smugmug.com/M835Cron2018/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have a one year warranty on the work done to the M8. I like using older lenses for beach images with white sand and light green water. The not-so-high contrast lenses work nicely there.

Edited by Raid Amin
  • Like 1

It was a decision on whether to spend $500 on a camera that has a market value of $1000 and that most view as an outdated digital camera. I decided to have my M8 repaired and to continue use it side by side with my M9.

• Like 3

Outside Joe Patti's Seafood Store

I saw this blackboard with dozens of (serious) wishes by locals.

• Like 3

Lovely results Raid Amin. I presume Leica did rather more than deal with the dead pixels which has left you with a very useful camera for your future pleasure. May I suggest that you consider investing a little time exploring how LR5 can  work to your advantage. Look at Julienne Kost videos. I found spending a few moments learning from her highly beneficial in climbing up my learning curve with Lightroom. Your sunset picture and seascapes with figure have lovely tones

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wda said:

Lovely results Raid Amin. I presume Leica did rather more than deal with the dead pixels which has left you with a very useful camera for your future pleasure. May I suggest that you consider investing a little time exploring how LR5 can  work to your advantage. Look at Julienne Kost videos. I found spending a few moments learning from her highly beneficial in climbing up my learning curve with Lightroom. Your sunset picture and seascapes with figure have lovely tones

Thank you, David. I have to admit that I may be too impatient to watch a video. Lynn B. from rangefinderforum more than once sent me screen shots of his LR settings to get near perfect images that way, and I have still not even followed these screen shots. I am very busy with my research projects at work, and I squeeze in quick moments here and there to take some photos.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

...However, please don't use the technical forums to display images. We have the photoforums and image threads for that purpose.

This sounds like a voice from times long, long ago.

There are threads full of photos everywhere in the „technical forums“ now

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

There is nothing wrong with the M8, and you took the right decision to have it repaired. However, please don't use the technical forums to display images. We have the photoforums and image threads for that purpose.

Is there an image thread for M8 photographs?

3 hours ago, UliWer said:

This sounds like a voice from times long, long ago.

There are threads full of photos everywhere in the „technical forums“ now

And there shouldn't be, except in the dedicated (and pinned} threads. And of course photos pertinent to the discussion are allowed. Moderators will move them when they get around to it.

Maybe I should have at least discussed the posted images as evidence of a successful repair of the M8 in which Leica remapped the sensor by manually correcting pixels and columns on the sensor. We have dedicated image based forum for Leica M8. I have posted there before.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Raid Amin said:

Thank you, David. I have to admit that I may be too impatient to watch a video. Lynn B. from rangefinderforum more than once sent me screen shots of his LR settings to get near perfect images that way, and I have still not even followed these screen shots. I am very busy with my research projects at work, and I squeeze in quick moments here and there to take some photos.

Oh well, I can change

Edited by Raid Amin
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Raid Amin said:

Oh well, I can change

Oh, I am, pleased. I call it, "Going to night school". It is my way of improving my processing skills. Just a step at a time.

If you have two screens available, use the lower quality one for playing the video and your main monitor for applying the techniques to your own images. Stop and start as you gain confidence and master the new tools. Happy progression.