CL vs SL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, ropo54 said:

I had actually tried out the Hasselblad X1D and the images were just incredible. But, there is a "clackety-clack" x 3 when the photo is snapped, so that the subjects needed to be static and the camera took a bit too long for my use to be ready for the next snap. Made it tougher to take photos of my grandkids moving around, but for landscape photos it would be phenomenal. The S was much better in regard to 'readiness', but the X1D will be a real winner if they can get that all worked out, particularly at its price point.

I don't know anything about the Hassy 50.

Also, Leica lenses are faster, but the Hasselblad may be developing faster lenses.

Maybe we're talking about the same thing? Is this what you were thinking of, Rob?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1260272-REG/hasselblad_h_3013901_x1d_50c_medium_format_mirrorless.html

• Like 1

Yes, we were both referring to the same camera! I was thinking that you were referring to the below camera, which I am not familiar with.

Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

The SL (with the 24-90mm) is indeed large and heavy (even more so with a tripod plate), but I carry it on my walks and hikes because it delivers the goods everytime when I want what it can do. I'll take the Q as a lighter all-rounder, for travel and for family snapshots. I've also started using the D-Lux (type 109) on family hikes when I want to go light but appreciate the flexibility of a zoom. 

I rented the CL, but decided against buying it. I also have the Ricoh GR and for APS it's great. The IQ of the Q and SL are easily a step above. That said, it depends on what kind of rendering you like and how you balance all the criteria. I've often hiked with just the GR and I've never been unhappy with any of its images. 

My eyesight is also not great, but I find the SL and Q very easy to focus. I generally use manual focus with peaking. 

Keep in mind that the SL is likely to be the next model for Leica to update, and that Panasonic is coming out with its two L-mount cameras. Many seem to think the "SL2" will be lighter, but who knows. 

• Like 1

I'm in the happy and fortunate position of having the SL, CL, TL2 and M240. I think you have to recognise that all of them have their strengths and weaknesses, and the one that is for you depends on what you want to use it for and your style of photography. Your hand size, strength, eyesight and other physiological characteristics also come into play. And remember that the camera and lens combination with the best IQ may be so slow to use that you never get any shots worth having (and, yes, I know that a quick snap which is out of focus, poorly exposed and of low resolution may not be worth having either). 

Since getting the CL and SL I thought that my M240 would be squeezed out, and that I should sell it. It suddenly found a niche, though, as an entirely manual camera, when I wanted to take a series of photos from a moving vehicle of moving subjects. Any auto parameter was immediately suspect in those circumstances, while the M240 allowed me to fix everything (and then adjust if necessary).

I find the SL too large and heavy as a carry-around camera - I wouldn't think of taking it travelling or around the street. As an utterly reliable workhorse with fast AF zooms, clear EVF, image stabilisation and wonderful IQ in the 24-90 and 90-280, I use it for events and formal portrait sessions. 

The CL is my everyday camera for travel, street and social, almost all with the 18-56; I am surprised at the comment about the 18-56 IQ - it has been superb as far as I am concerned. I guess at pixel level the M lenses may be better, but in practice, the zoom (i.e. no cropping) and accurate AF mean I get better shots from the CL and native lenses than I do with the M or with M lenses. The downside to me is the lack of wide aperture on the zooms, so I will use M lenses for this purpose sometimes - but not often. I also have the 60mm TL, which is a versatile lens for people and for macro.

As I posted elsewhere, I recently re-bought a TL2 as a back-up to take with me on holiday to India. The TL2 has its limitations compared to the CL: slower and less reliable AF in particular. But like Rob I love the format, style and touch interface. There are also times when having a small camera with a rear monitor and no VF is more usable in crowds, at close range, and with people who are nervous about cameras. The ability to see your face as you take the picture makes some people relax more.

I don't take landscapes, and little of the built environment, so I can't comment on what would be most suitable for those genres.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with your comment about  the 18-56. It can hold its own with any other Leica lens. I think people might be fooled by the words " kit lens" In my experience the only lens that lags behind -and only very slightly at that- is the 18 mm, but that lens was designed for maximum compactness with still very good image quality.

I miss the 18-56, sadly I had to sell it to afford the huge but amazing Summilux SL 50 (yes on a CL). of cause the 50 SL Lux is incredible for IQ but the 18-56 was also very good and a very good 'do it all' lens, or 'walkabout' lens.

It was my most used lens at one point because it's versatile with excellent IQ. Now my most used lens on the CL is the 11-23. 

I have never tried the 18mm pancake because with the 11-23 I have it covered.

I do not miss the SL, honestly, it was very bulky (IQ was amazing) way to big with a set of lenses for this old man.

My all time favourite combination was the M-Monochrome with my Noctilux E58, makes me cry remembering that combi, sadly had to be sold to fund health issues.

Either way, my point is this. Whatever system, lens, body you decide to go for, enjoy it's qualities and it's quirks, take pictures, smile, enjoy.

• Like 2