jefe

Leica Q and the FOTOS app

Hi,

I have been successful in connecting my Leica Q to the new Leica FOTOS app downloaded onto my iPhone. After using the app and the q together this first time, I turned off the wifi on the camera and the camera disconnected from the app. As it should. My question is this: when I want to use the Q along with the FOTOS app again, do I have to go through the same process of pairing the iPhone and the camera in the FOTOS app by scanning the QR code again etc, or once I have turned on the wifi on the Q will the iPhone and the Q automatically re-pair again in the app for instant re-use? Thanks, Jeff

Thanks, Graeme, for your kind response. But if we are using the camera and app out in the field, away from home wifi, I wonder what will be the case? Cheers, Jeff

once I have turned on the wifi on the Q will the iPhone and the Q automatically re-pair again in the app for instant re-use?

If Fotos behaves with the Q is the same as it does with the M10, you should not require home WiFi at all. You should be able to test that at home, or step outside the house and try it.

Thank you, Pico. Appreciated. To be clear, when I synced Q with FOTOS app I was not using home wifi but rather camera wifi. So, the question remains, if I am out in the field not near any wifi except the camera's, will I have to re-pair the Q and the app with the QR code process, or having being paired previously will the camera and the app recognize each other automatically and re-pair automatically? Thanks!

graeme_hutton answered your question, but I'm surprised you didn't simply turn wifi back on on your camera to see if it would work.

Fotos not only does not require home WiFi, it can not use it.   The App always connects to the camera created WiFi network.

Camera to iPhone (Android may be different): Turn on camera.  Go to the WLAN menu. The WLAN mode must be "Create WLAN".  Set the Connection to Remote Control.    Ignore the QR code.   On your phone start the Fotos App.  You'll see your camera listed because you've connected in the past.  The connection state will be "disconnected".  Click on the camera name.  You will get a pop up asking if you want to connect.  Answer yes.  It takes 10 seconds or so for the camera and app to connect.

5 hours ago, jefe said:

Thank you, Pico. Appreciated. To be clear, when I synced Q with FOTOS app I was not using home wifi but rather camera wifi.

Picture it like this: the camera broadcasts that it set up its own WiFi, and Fotos looks for just that, nothing else if it has been previously initialized by the bar code, so it will work on the moon if necessary.

Edited by pico

9 hours ago, jefe said:

... So, the question remains, if I am out in the field not near any wifi except the camera's, will I have to re-pair the Q and the app with the QR code process, or having being paired previously will the camera and the app recognize each other automatically and re-pair automatically? Thanks!

The Q has its own WiFi and does not require any other external WiFi to connect to your mobile devices. Once you have established the first handshake between your mobile devices and the camera through the QR code, subsequent connections do not need the code anymore (although it still appears on the Q screen), the camera and your mobile devices will recognize each other automatically. The re-pairing is not automatic though, you have to initiate the connection each time you run the app on your mobile device.

Thank you, Pico. Appreciated. To be clear, when I synced Q with FOTOS app I was not using home wifi but rather camera wifi. So, the question remains, if I am out in the field not near any wifi except the camera's, will I have to re-pair the Q and the app with the QR code process, or having being paired previously will the camera and the app recognize each other automatically and re-pair automatically? Thanks!

Connected my new Q to Fotos on the iPhone (Q wifi used): after 3 DNG the battery was almost gone, and the app disconnected unexpected.

Way to heavy battery use. Useless.

Easier to use a portable SSD disk with SD card reader and a  battery in it. But I have always a spare SD card, and wait until at home to read the cards in.

The FOTOS app is performing well overall for me. I was initially disappointed some, but now after using it a dozen times, it works. I’m not seeing excessive battery drain although if I downloaded a lot of images I expect that I would. The wifi has been solid and camera control works. Altogether, its much better than the Q app. 

I am frustrated with all of Leica’s apps — FOTOS no longer connects to my Q no matter what I do.

The old Leica Q app connects but when I try to download my photos I get a prompt that says I must grant access to the app in my Privacy Settings, however in those settings the app is not listed as requesting access.

Anyone else experience and resolve these matters? I used to be successful with both apps.

I’d try removing the Q battery for 30 secs. Don’t know if that’ll actually help, but I’d do it anyway. I might consider deleting and re-installing the FOTOS App. 

My experience is generally good with the FOTOS App and much better than the Q app. 

What phone are you using? I have an iPhone 7 and it works well. Do you have the latest OS? 

Good luck. 

Why not take the Lightning-SD-Card adapter to transfer photos to your phone? Its much much faster and does not drain your camera's battery.