Has anyone tried this adjustable diopter for the M?

11 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Whatever the qualities of the thing, I must say that I have seen less obtrusive add-ons.

I agree totally... especially when the rubber cup is added. Just going to go to my optician and see what Leica diopter should work for me.... sucks getting older.

Edited by Freightdawg747

3 hours ago, pico said:

It is simply not expensive enough to attract Leica users.

Thats so true. I recently had the same experience. while shooting someone who owns leica too saw me with this on my camera and he asked me and he looked very interested in it. i explained him all and he got even more interested. but then i told him its very cheap and easily available ... it looked to me as if he was expecting it to be in hundreds of dollars and after knowing the price he didn't seem that interested in it. its strange how some only use or value things if they are expensive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freightdawg747 said:

Browsing and came upon this. Anyone tried it out.. opinions??

http://www.mgrproduction.net/product-page/adjustable-viewfinder-magnifier-type-j-and-y

I have been using this for nearly 5 years now. or may be more. I first had it on my M9. Now let me explain what set up i have done on my M240 if you want i can send you a photo of it too.

I have attached Leica 1.4 magnifier and on top of that i have attached this Bresson adjustable magnifier. This gives you a zoom to your view finder and you can nail the focus to most of your photos. Both attached to it gives you a good zoom into your subject and you can really see the focus and even a slight up or down is noticed. Very helpful set up for wider aperture lenses like 1.2F or 1.4F or .95F.

Yes your frame lines are bit hidden. But that never bothered me because i know my frame most of the time. if shooting on streets i try to lock the frame with couple of tests and then shoot at that distance. currently using Voigtlander 10mm, Voigtlander 32mm 1.2F and Leica 90mm 2F. And this setup is on my both M240 cameras 

It makes the eye piece about two inches long. i like it so like this i am not breathing into my camera screen. i have attached photos of the set up here. Hope it helps.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Hamad appreciate it. I just seem to be getting  quite a few out of focus photos that to me looked dead on when adjusting focus.  I found one for $48 for the price I might give it a try. Maybe sometime I'll catch up with you in Bahrain. I fly in and out of there for DHL.  

Iirc correctly they marketed this as a zoom viewfinder several years ago.  

https://leicarumors.com/2016/02/01/three-different-leica-magnifiers-compared-mgr-production-bresson-vs-leica-vs-ms-optical.aspx/

It does zoom, but the diopter changes as it zooms rendering the viewfinder out of focus at all but one magnification.   It appears they are now correctly labeling it as a diopter adjustment.

Currently I use the Leica 1.25x and 1.4x magnifiers with great success, focusing accuracy is enhanced.  There is loss of wide viewfinder lines.    

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 5:57 AM, Freightdawg747 said:

Thanks Hamad appreciate it. I just seem to be getting  quite a few out of focus photos that to me looked dead on when adjusting focus.  I found one for $48 for the price I might give it a try. Maybe sometime I'll catch up with you in Bahrain. I fly in and out of there for DHL.  

Ahh great yes that be good. Please message me when you next in town. My number is+973 364xxxx

looking forward to meet you.

Edited by jaapv
phone number

On 11/23/2018 at 3:48 AM, Hamad said:

Ahh great yes that be good. Please message me when you next in town. My number is+973 364xxxx

looking forward to meet you.

I wouldn't put a phone number in a post. You could PM the member with your number. This will keep it private. 

John 

I recently sent a lens to DAG for a CLA & back focusing.  Don told me the lens is fine focus-wise.  When I got it back I did some controlled tests on a tripod.  Darn, still back focusing.  Then I tried another lens - and another and another...

It was the RF, not the lenses.  D'oh!

Don then fixed that wonderfully - all better now

As for diopters... I've tried almost all, none stuck.  Luckily I'm a bit nearsighted - best results are with my glasses off.  In critical situations (e.g. wide open and close) I shoot several frames moving my body in & out slightly and pick the best later - making sure I've got at least 2 keepers via chimp zooming on the screen. 

Digital 'film' is very cheap :)!

On 11/26/2018 at 2:34 AM, jto555 said:

I wouldn't put a phone number in a post. You could PM the member with your number. This will keep it private. 

John 

i agree with you John but its my work phone its all over the net, website and almost every one has access to my number. thank you for your advice very kind of you.