Sign in to follow this  
albertknappmd

CUBA and the LEICA S

On our way to Havana next week for mostly street and people photography.

Has anyone taken an S in the past?

Better to trust the 30-90 mm or go with primes?

I have two bodies...

Albert

I  was there a few years ago with the S, 30-90 was ny most used lens in daylight/street. I would add the 120 for street portraits, people are mostly willing to be photographed.

At that time I had the Monochrom for morning and evening. 

Edited by erlingmm

I was there 2017. I didn't take an S but a Hasselblad X1D. I had a brilliant time and missed nothing with just primes. However , had a zoom been available I would have taken it.

If you are prepared to carry both bodies than maybe the zoom on one and a fast prime on the other (45 or 70?). There's a lot of walking though and I would prefer to go lighter.

Gordon

I took a Leica MP (film) and a 35mm Summicron Asph. It was pretty light weight and quite liberating just having one focal length to think about. If something was happening across a square, I would walk there and feel more involved, or I would just enjoy it without feeling a need to photograph it. It's a lovely place with lovely people.

Pete

10 hours ago, albertknappmd said:

David-

CLA: no alcohol, no smoking, plenty of exercise, a lot of sleep and a healthy outlook on life!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Albert 😁

Dr. K,

Four out of five ain't bad.

Says the man nursing a lovely 12 year single malt in an antique crystal glass, pondering his blessings -  the love child of fate, blind luck and industriousness.

Cheers, mate.

David 

Edited by Deliberate1

On 11/22/2018 at 10:08 PM, Deliberate1 said:

Dr. K,

Four out of five ain't bad.

Says the man nursing a lovely 12 year single malt in an antique crystal glass, pondering his blessings -  the love child of fate, blind luck and industriousness.

Cheers, mate.

David 

The key is a SINGLE MALT..... You should visit Scotland not only for teh photography but the many distilleries... It is heaven on earth..

Albert

1 hour ago, albertknappmd said:

The key is a SINGLE MALT..... You should visit Scotland not only for teh photography but the many distilleries... It is heaven on earth..

Albert

Or to Cuba, as you did (or are doing) to sample the magnificent mojito made with indigenous rum that you have to go to, since it cannot come to us, at least in the US.

Looking forward to your images, Albert.

Cheers.

David

I was there in August with the M10 and Sony A7R , the Elmarit 28 stayed most of the time, occassionally the  Elmarit 90, on the Leica and 16-35 mm on the Sony.

I've been so curious about visiting Cuba, particularly as it is a hop, skip and a jump away from me in south Florida.  Looking forward to hearing about your adventure and seeing photos.  I will make it there soon enough.

Rob

5 hours ago, albertknappmd said:

Amazing trip.

Will post some examples in near future.

Albert

Rob-

It is an amazing place and old Havana is a mecca for photographers. The people are so nice and love to be photographed.

We had been referred to Luis Alarcon who is a prominent Cuban photographer. He took us to places we would have never found and has an excellent artistic sense and a great eye. He was a great teacher... Here is his email:    http://photographingcuba.com/tours-and-photography/one-day-photo-tour-havana

Albert 😏

7 hours ago, albertknappmd said:

Rob-

It is an amazing place and old Havana is a mecca for photographers. The people are so nice and love to be photographed.

We had been referred to Luis Alarcon who is a prominent Cuban photographer. He took us to places we would have never found and has an excellent artistic sense and a great eye. He was a great teacher... Here is his email:    http://photographingcuba.com/tours-and-photography/one-day-photo-tour-havana

Albert 😏

Albert, glad you had such a great trip. Cuba is so exotic, yet so close to US shores. I am aware that US citizens can travel to Cuba (legitimately under US law) but only if the purpose of the trip falls within certain categories - humanitarian, religious, familial,etc. For those of us interested in traveling there, and I suspect there are many, would you mind sharing the logistics you went through to secure permission - assuming you left from a US port.

Looking forward to your images.

David

I went on a religious license straight from New York. It was hassle-free and I really recommend it.

I was told that there is also a "point to point" category for people interested in say photography and that there are some guides who know the details... You could always contact Luis Alarcon and maybe he can help you.

Albert