Leica D-Lux 7: Compact Size Meets High Performance

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica has announced the Leica D-Lux 7 a few minutes ago.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The official press release:

Zitat

Leica D-Lux 7: compact size meets high performance.

Wetzlar, 20 November 2018. Leica Camera AG presents a new model in the Leica D-Lux line. The high-performance compact camera features a fast Leica DC Vario-Summilux 10.9–34 mm f/1.7–2.8 ASPH. zoom lens (equivalent to 24–75 mm in 35 mm format) that, in combination with the camera’s new, higher-resolution four-thirds sensor, delivers outstanding picture quality in all shooting situations. A performance profile extended by numerous new functions and features such as a touchscreen display, Bluetooth connectivity and USB-C charging capability makes the new Leica D-Lux 7 an ideal everyday companion and an extremely versatile camera that offers a maximum of photographic freedom for capturing unique moments in impressive picture quality.

The familiar comprehensive features package of the Leica D-Lux line, with automatic exposure mode, manual setting options and a range of video functions, is ideally complemented by an integrated, 2.8-megapixel high-resolution electronic viewfinder, a WiFi module and Bluetooth connectivity. On the back of the Leica D-Lux 7, a 1.24-megapixel 3“ LCD touchscreen display not only makes the assessment of pictures much easier, but also allows fingertip control of the camera. For example, in addition to menu control, the focusing point can be set with a simple tap on the screen and pictures can be taken without having to touch any of its other controls.

The Leica DC Vario-Summilux 10.9–34 mm f/1.7–2.8 ASPH. zoom lens of the Leica D-Lux 7 (equivalent to 24–75 mm in 35 mm format) is perfectly matched to the camera’s new sensor. The fast initial aperture and the range of focal length make the camera particularly versatile in every situation – from portraits and landscapes to architecture, macro close-ups and street photography. With its 17-megapixel resolution and a maximum ISO sensitivity of 25600, the four-thirds sensor of the Leica D-Lux 7 is also ideal for capturing memorable moments in low ambient light in highest-quality pictures with natural colours and fine rendition of details.

Improvements to the camera’s hardware also include various additions to its range of functions. For example, the focus point of an exposures can be changed after shooting, or several exposures with different focus points can be superimposed on each other and merged with the aid of Focus Stacking, for instance to create a greater depth of focus in macro exposures. The camera’s capabilities have also been expanded to include video recording in 4K resolution – at a frame rate of up to 30 frames per second and 100 Mbit and in MP4 and AVCHD-format.

The Leica D-Lux 7 is the first camera of the D-Lux line that can be used together with the free Leica FOTOS App. This enables remote control of the camera from a smartphone and fast and easy wireless transfer of pictures from the Leica D-Lux 7 to iOS or Android devices for assessment. Photographers can then make use of numerous options for sharing their pictures directly in social media or after processing them with an image editing or postprocessing app.

As perfect complements to the classic looks of the Leica D-Lux 7, its users can choose from a collection of equally stylish and practical accessories such as exquisite cases, high-quality carrying straps and a practical handgrip.

Edited by LUF Admin
Added images
  • Like 1

Leica D-Lux 7 arrives in a stunning silver finish. Price £995 (Macfilos)

The long-awaited Leica D-Lux 7 is announced today and will be available from this week in what I think is a stunning silver-and-black finish. The last D-Lux came only in black (apart from special editions), and the decision to launch the D-Lux 7 in silver is a masterstroke. There is no news on a black version, although it could appear in the future. 

The silver anodised top plate transforms the rather drab Panasonic LX-100 Mk II (the basis of the D-Lux) into a very desirable piece of photographic equipment. It looks like a true mini Leica rather than a reworked Panasonic as did all previous D-Lux versions. There is also excellent news on price: £995, including VAT, is lower than I expected and is only £146 more expensive than the equivalent Panasonic. When desirability, the new silver finish and better resale values are taken into account, the Leica is a better long-term bet than the LX 100 II. Overall ownership cost is likely to be lower.

The overall design of the D-Lux shows that Leica has made a real effort to distance its model from the basic LX-100 Mk.II. Look closely, and the cameras are virtually identical, barring the loss of the Panasonic’s shallow hand grip, but the silver finish makes the camera.

As with the previous model, the D-Lux (in retrospect, this is now the D-Lux 6.5, halfway between the D-Lux 6 and the D-Lux 7) sports a cropped 4/3 sensor. Instead of the 2x of the standard micro four-thirds sensor, the D-Lux has a 2.2 crop. However, it is still significantly bigger than the 2.7x crop one-inch sensor.

The crop accounts for the new camera’s oddball 17 MP sensor. I believe this is probably the same 20MP sensor seen in other Panasonic m3/4 models; it’s just that less of it is used in picture taking. 

Despite the gestation period, the D-Lux 7 is not a huge set forward from the old model in technical terms. It retains the same (excellent) f/1.7-2.8 Summilux lens with a 35mm-equivalent zoom range of 24-75mm. The viewfinder is now a high-resolution 2.8MP device but keeps LCD technology rather than the more modern OLED display. The 3in, 1.24MP touch display is static, as with previous models, and this will be a disappointment to some buyers who had been expecting a cantilevered design.

In general, Panasonic (and thus Leica) has avoided change for change’s sake and has acknowledged that the previous model was pretty damned good. Above all, the D-Lux is a camera that appeals to the more experienced photographer, allowing full manual operation and a clear and traditional control set which covers all the necessary settings without having to consult to menus. The top plate carries dials for shutter speed and exposure compensation and a clearly marked on-off switch. An A(uto) shutter speed setting can be used in conjunction with variable manual apertures for aperture priority. Conversely, the A setting on the lens is used for shutter priority mode. Choosing both A settings puts the camera into fully automatic mode. 

As with previous models, the lens offers a slider switch to change the aspect ratio (3:2, 16:9, 1:1 and 4:3) which D-Lux users appreciate. As far as I know, this is a unique feature of the D-Lux models.

Leica has done a truly excellent job with the D-Lux 7, and it deserves to be successful. As a handy, compact travel camera with superb optics and image quality, it has few equals.

I was a ex-Dlux typ109 user but i still like the compact size and I really wanted the touch screen in that time. So the new dlux 7 is full fill, after i heard that panasonic lx100 II releases i knew that leica dlux would be released later.

I can't wait for try it at shop in my country. :) 

PS. In my country there is the Dlux typ 109 safari edition and i hope this model will be sold that edition as well. 

The big question is whether it’s a big enough jump in sensor performance for DL-109 owners to trade up or not. The gap between the DL-7 and the TL2/CL is not a small one, relative to the price of the DL, if you have to add lenses to the cost of the TL2/CL body.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TONY COWAN said:

I think that at almost £1000 it is a pity that this camera is "Made in China" Surely it could still have been "Made in Japan"?

Why? If the QC is the same why does it matter? Or is there something else you’re trying to say?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 2:04 PM, Le Chef said:

Why? If the QC is the same why does it matter? Or is there something else you’re trying to say?

Don’t forget the purchase of Chinese products supports a regime with an appalling record on human rights. Just one of numerous examples.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/27/671108999/award-winning-chinese-photojournalist-missing-while-visiting-the-country-wife-sa

If a choice exists, I would rather make purchases that support manufacturing jobs in America, Canada & Europe. Where many people’s livelihoods have been badly affected by the continual offshoring of industry.

https://www.npr.org/series/650482198/chinas-global-influence

There are so many brands today that rely too heavily on heritage built by the hard work and effort of local people in their home countries, but no longer manufacture at home. This is a personal view, but I can’t help thinking it comes off as disrespectful to the people who helped build them.

What does it even mean to buy a brand new BMW car manufactured at a factory in China today? Companies selling at a premium on the image of German engineering, but don't actually build products or manufacture the parts there. There’s a point where it becomes absurd.

Advertisers have become too good at selling us on stories and brand image. To the point we need to go back and examine the truth of the products we’re buying.

Sorry for rant. Seeing the letters “Made in China” when purchasing Leica SL batteries for $250 a pop makes one question the rationality of their actions. Surely for the price of items like these they could be made elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I  bought the D-Lux 7 a week ago and feeling good for it's awesome performance. It is a compact and versatile camera for daily usage. Although it is made in China, the body is well-built and

the optical quality is excellent. I assure it is a fine-tuned/ upgrade version of Pana's LX100II, indeed.

My only bone to pick about the D-Lux 7 is the inability to utilize the built in Bluetooth capability mentioned in the press release above. All Leica will say is that they will update Fotos "soon." I think this is appalling already.

Edited by drgek

In the heart of winter cold, enjoying a banana milkshake outside... feeling every drop of it inside... Can I do the depth of field? 

Yes, 2 shots (touch screen!) Lightroom Classic.  PS6.

1/125 @ f2.8 ISO 640, 64mm, 3232X4844 before resized down to 300kb, handheld. One 100W LED daylight bare bulb. 

Back in the 60's 70's, we had to shoot, develop the negative, then print in the darkroom.  RAW brings us back to those good old days instead of iPhone click, share jpg to FaceBook.

Love this new baby.  Waiting for them to make the Q with these software and a 35-85 2.0 lens, in Germany.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!