Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5 Images

Rollin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought a Sonnar from a German distributor. I was just too curious both regarding the lens drawing and the whole focus shift thing. My lens is perfectly fine at f2.2-2.8. At f1.5, it focusses slightly before the subject, which can be compensated for my s light move forward (2cm). At minimal focus distance, I trained myself to slightly move the focus ring towards farther away (0.92 vs 0.9 ... :)). If the subject is a bit further away than, say 1.5m, I just ignore compensation at f15, as the depth of field seems to cover for the focus shift. All that can be easily seen and verified in the EVF, of course.

On 1/11/2020 at 4:18 PM, Alberti said:

Stephen, well, looking at this performance, then I prefer the lens calibrated at f:1.5 !

When calibrated as such, is the lens in focus at say 2 and 5 meteres and f:1.5 too? 

Yes it does. Problem is if you shift to higher Aperture than you have to adjust the focus. 

I noticed that there are two sets of serial numbers. Starting at 15 .. and at 51 .., does anyone have any thoughts on their differences?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Kutfe

Leica M-E (240) * Zeiss C Sonnar M 1.5/50 * F/1.5 * ISO 200 * NiK SEP2

Edited by S/W
  • Like 5

Edited by S/W
  • Like 6

Edited by S/W
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/7/2020 at 4:05 AM, stephengv said:

Trying out the sonnar 50 1.5: 

Mine arrive calibrated at 1.5, so I have to adjust for back focus when shooting anything above 1.5. 

Why would you shoot it at anything but ƒ/1,5.....B)

• Haha 1

Sonnar on an M10D. For me this is exemplary of the look it gives.

Edited by Photon42
  • Like 13

On 1/13/2020 at 5:47 AM, Kutfe said:

I noticed that there are two sets of serial numbers. Starting at 15 .. and at 51 .., does anyone have any thoughts on their differences?

Hello all! I'm a new member here and this is my first post.

I just received my brand new C Sonnar 50 from my local AD a few days ago and my serial starts with 517; I see a lot of used ones in the 156 and 159 serials so maybe they are just older? 

In regards to calibration, I don't have any idea what mine is at and I think it will be difficult for me to ever know for sure because I only have a film M. I guess I would have to take aperture and distance notes per frame to know for sure... and even then, I don't know how much I would notice focus shift on film. My only other lens is a 2/35 Biogon which is insanely sharp at all apertures and has no focus shift. Hope to be able to share a couple of photos here when I finish a roll!

Haig

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sonnar 1.5 /50 on M10D.

• Like 7

I’m not sure either. I bought the lens expecting masses of character, but my impression so far is that it’s pretty well-behaved. It’s very sharp and distinct in the plane of focus, so much so that sometimes the subject is so sharply separated that the image looks like a Photoshop montage, with a person clipped artificially into a blurred background. 
The good parts are the build quality and lovely design details like the focus knurl. And also the color rendering - which is beautiful. 
Otherwise I feel the lens is very modern and in some ways just neutral. 
I ordered a Voigtländer 40 f1,4 to compare. Should have it over next couple days to see which I keep. 

I think you will typically get more character out of the Voigtlander lineup than the ZM lineup.

I am still in the middle of my first roll of film (portra 400) with my C Sonnar so I haven’t been able to see the results yet.

My experience comes from what I see posted online between VM and ZM, and my own Biogon 2/35 which I would classify as clinically perfect, even too much at times. I’m excited to get this roll done and developed but in the dead of winter that can mean weeks to shoot a complete roll so here’s to patience!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, plasticman said:

I’m not sure either. I bought the lens expecting masses of character, but my impression so far is that it’s pretty well-behaved. It’s very sharp and distinct in the plane of focus, so much so that sometimes the subject is so sharply separated that the image looks like a Photoshop montage, with a person clipped artificially into a blurred background. 
The good parts are the build quality and lovely design details like the focus knurl. And also the color rendering - which is beautiful. 
Otherwise I feel the lens is very modern and in some ways just neutral. 
I ordered a Voigtländer 40 f1,4 to compare. Should have it over next couple days to see which I keep. 

Well-behavior is character, too 😂 I guess that separation is what others positively call three-dimensional effort. It is probably useful to experiment with different backgrounds a bit to further dig for "character". I like so far, and as with lots of other things, the focus shift aspect, while there, is manageable. Maybe not the ideal first lens for someone who just bought a rangefinder. The good thing nowadays is you can easily check your lens with a ruler and a target for the rangefinder and directly compare in the EVF (M240,M10). Then you know what to do when. On an EVF all that does not matter, of course. On longer distances all is fine anyway.