Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5 Images

Rollin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/20/2018 at 9:58 AM, Ecar said:

Here's a few - all with the M9. Great rendering once you get the hang of its well-documented focus shift.

Is this Mozia in Sicily?

1 hour ago, epand56 said:

Outstandig series, beautiful pictures.

Many thanks, appreciated.

Here's another from this years trip. Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

And one on the M8

• Like 4

Am ‎14‎.‎01‎.‎2019 um 07:22 schrieb lct:

Then you'll have to make do with focus shift on the ZM 50/1.5. Either it is calibrated at f/1.5 like mine and you'll have to adjust focusing manually from f/2 to f/5.6 more or less. Or it is calibrated at f/2.8 and you'll have to do the same at f/1.5, f/2 and probably above f/2.8 to some extent but i have no experience with this. By comparison, my M 50/2 v4 and v5 have a bit of focus shift around f4, f/5.6 but it feels less pronounced than on the ZM. I mean on rangefinders since focus shift is not a problem on mirrorless cameras or M bodies in EVF mode when focusing a working aperture. Aside from focus shift, the ZM is infinitely sharper at f/1.5 ;). Compared to the M 50/1.4 asph it is rather soft there which is exacly what i like for portraits. At f/2, both ZM and M 50/2 are sharp enough at the centre, the ZM being a bit softer there but also sharper at edges and corners. At f/2.8, both are sharp at the center but the ZM feels a bit sharper at corners. At other apertures, both lenses are sharp everywhere aside from focus shift mentioned above. None are free from field curvature (like all my 50's but the M 50/2 apo) and none car be considered clinically sharp in that they have less acutance than modern asph lenses like M 50/1.4 asph. But none give a feeling of softness either at the exception of the ZM at f/1.5 and to a lesser extent f/2. Otherwise the ZM has more vignetting and less CA, also less flare than the M 50/2. Both have a rather soft bokeh and feel compact on the M240.

In used the M(Type240) before I switched to M10-P.

I never noticed any focus shift with this lens. I get the same results when I focus with range finder or with the EVF. 

Inpossible when the would be any focus shift.  Am I wrong?

Saturday afternoon bar scene with the CL

Edited by bags27
  • Like 2

Hi Geoff,

It depends which aperture it's been optimised to.  As standard they used to be optimised in the factory to f/2.8, presumably because Zeiss assumed that the majority of people would shoot it at f/2.8, but you could send them back to the factory to be optimised for f/1.5.

Mine was already optimised to f/1.5 when I bought it and focus shift is noticeable at f/2.8 and f/4 but less so at f/5.6 and onwards because the depth of field by that stage masks it reasonably well.  Since it's a fast lens I tend to shoot it wide open so I rarely see the focus shift.

Pete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, farnz said:

Hi Geoff,

It depends which aperture it's been optimised to.  As standard they used to be optimised in the factory to f/2.8, presumably because Zeiss assumed that the majority of people would shoot it at f/2.8, but you could send them back to the factory to be optimised for f/1.5.

Mine was already optimised to f/1.5 when I bought it and focus shift is noticeable at f/2.8 and f/4 but less so at f/5.6 and onwards because the depth of field by that stage masks it reasonably well.  Since it's a fast lens I tend to shoot it wide open so I rarely see the focus shift.

Pete.

Hi Pete

so if I Bought one new it would be ok for wide open, if that’s the case I think I will have a look at one as I would be using it either wide open for low light or stopped down for street. 

Hi Geoff,

If you bought one new you'd need to specify to the retailer that you want one that's optimised to f/1.5.  The retailer might need to send it back to Zeiss's Mothership to be adjusted or he might have one on hand.  Otherwise there's a chance that the new lens would be optimised to f/2.8 and you'd be likely to experience some focus shift when shooting wide open.

Pete.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:00 PM, Geoff Marshall said:

Just wondering how bad the focus shift is with this lens, are we talking millimetres or inches out at wide apertures. If I purchased one it would be used on my film M’s and M8/M9 so wouldn’t be wanting to guess accurate focus and maybe wasting film. 

With mine it is about 1cm and a half, noticeable only really when shooting portraits wide-open and up close, where the longstanding trick is to focus on the front of the ear rather than the eye. If more than a couple of meters away from the subject I usually do not worry as the increased DOF covers the focus shift.

I use mine mainly at night on film, where it is more flare resistant than a Summilux, and also has a nice vintage look that works well with film images.

• Like 4

f 2 on M240

• Like 4

f 1.5 on M240, correcting the exposure by -0.7 when shooting wide open works well for me. Mine looks like it's optimized for film but I'm getting used to pull the focus a little bit towards the camera.

• Like 7

1936 Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 LTM

Shot on M246

• Like 10

bonsai in front of the Leica-corner at my local dealer

neither the tree nor the Leicas in the back bothered about using some Zeiss-glass, shot at f 1.5 with help of evf

• Like 7

Poppies popping.

On M9 at F/1.5 -1EV auto exposure & WB, focus is at about 1.1 meters. Converted in PS from DNG (adjusted WB to 6000K, used my standard sharpening).

• Like 6

Leica M10-P and CSonar1.5/50. Apreture pretty closed.

• Like 8