Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5 Images

Rollin

I completely agree with what LCT has written.  I don't have comparison photos either but for me the main difference is in the out-of focus areas (think of it as 'bokeh' if you wish).  

The Sonnar has, to my taste, a more pleasant look in the OOF areas with little image-doubling, soft objects and few hard edges, which is typical of the Sonnar lens design, and Ernostats to a lesser degree (simpler design with fewer elements).  The Summicron has typical double-gauss OOF performance, which is slightly less pleasing to my eye although there's not a lot in it; more instances of harsher edges and transitions that distract the eye.  YMMV of course.

Pete.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I also liked it on APS-C (Sony A6500)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Another one with APS-C - The lens should be great with the Leica CL too!

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/13/2019 at 9:29 AM, stephengv said:

How does this compare with the 50mm Summicron? 

As others have said it is the Sonnar rendering that makes this lens special - both the smoothness of the out-of-focus areas, and how the sharp areas transition to out of focus. Others have described my images taken with this lens as honest and wholesome, and the lens seems to magnify the sense of atmosphere if there is some where you are shooting. Definitely not clinical like the cron. I especially like that these qualities are not just at f/1.5, but stopped down too where I do most of my shooting. And stopped down in everyday use the focus shift is not an issue. Take a read of the article in the second post of this thread if you have not already.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mdemeyer said:

I should have people’s permission to post their likenesses on a public forum, and don’t.  

Please understand that I'm not trying to start an argument (or a discussion about it) but for information the forum is subject to German law, which doesn't prohibit posting of peoples' pictures without their permission (unless they're defamatory of course) and complies with the EU's General Data Protection Regulations.  I understand that different laws apply in different countries.🙂

Pete.

25 minutes ago, farnz said:

Please understand that I'm not trying to start an argument (or a discussion about it) but for information the forum is subject to German law, which doesn't prohibit posting of peoples' pictures without their permission (unless they're defamatory of course) and complies with the EU's General Data Protection Regulations.  I understand that different laws apply in different countries.🙂

Pete.

Courtesy, not legality, for me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, farnz said:

Please understand that I'm not trying to start an argument (or a discussion about it) but for information the forum is subject to German law, which doesn't prohibit posting of peoples' pictures without their permission (unless they're defamatory of course) and complies with the EU's General Data Protection Regulations.  I understand that different laws apply in different countries.

Indeed since the law applicable to the forum is not necessarily the same as that applicable to photogs when they abstain from asking permission to take and/or display photos of their models. Let alone that their relatives may not be happy to be treated this way but this is another story :eek:.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MM, 50 C sonnar

• Like 10

• 4 months later...

C-Sonnar on M240 at  f1.5

• Like 4

One more at F1.5 in M240

• Like 5

with the CL . Summer days

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

Brighton Station.

Zeiss 50/1.5 ZM C-Sonnar with M9P

• Like 15