Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5 Images

Rollin

M-E 220, C Sonnar 50mm @ f5.6 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Traigh Rosamol, Isle of Harris.

M10-R bp

ZM 50mm c-sonnar f1.5

• Like 17

M10 + Zeiss C Sonnar T* 50mm f1,5 ZM

Edited by 01maciel
Click to view properly
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

M10 + Zeiss C Sonnar T* 50mm f1.5 ZM

• Like 6

Speed Chess, London

M9, 50mm C-Sonnar at f/1.5 or f/1.7

• Like 12

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 19.2.2023 um 19:35 schrieb Olaf_ZG:

Today someone offered to buy my sonnar. As I have a lux50asph, the lens might be redundant… 

I put it on the SL and now I have doubts. To sell or not?

Love the look in this image, but might get it also with my lux.

Let me say, I had both lenses you mentioned and used them for many years. You will not get the same look, the Sonnar produces a coplretly different image, not only color, but the overall look is more pleasing. Mind you, first the Summilux 50 ASPH is impressive, but after a while you might realize, that it is just "too sharp" (sorry for the lack of words).

to summarize (simplified): The Sonnar has Soul, the Summilux 50 ASPH is always perfect....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, shinobi2012 said:

Let me say, I had both lenses you mentioned and used them for many years. You will not get the same look, the Sonnar produces a coplretly different image, not only color, but the overall look is more pleasing. Mind you, first the Summilux 50 ASPH is impressive, but after a while you might realize, that it is just "too sharp" (sorry for the lack of words).

to summarize (simplified): The Sonnar has Soul, the Summilux 50 ASPH is always perfect....

Many thanks.  There may be explanations elsewhere in this site but I haven't seen them, so nice to hear from a longstanding owner of both lenses as I was wondering the same thing. 

• Like 1

I don't own a Summilux 50 asph so I can't compare the two lenses. IMHO the Sonnar is a small lens with a wonderful unique old-fashioned rendering. Zeiss should finally present a new fast 50mm lens (f/1.0). That would be it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ray Vonn said:

Many thanks.  There may be explanations elsewhere in this site but I haven't seen them, so nice to hear from a longstanding owner of both lenses as I was wondering the same thing. 

A lens with a true Sonnar optical formula has aspherical aberrations, which are a positive as that is how we get the beautiful rendering. You can not get this with a "perfect" lens. I appreciate that it holds true even when stopped down. Also, I appreciate Zeiss is giving us it with modern coatings in this lens. See the article linked in the second post of this thread:

Edited by Rollin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

M9, C-Sonnar @ f/2

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The thread prompted me to take my C-Sonnar from its usual home on my M7 and put it to use on my M11 this morning.  No chance of venturing out so it was a case of finding an indoor subject.  M11 / C-Sonnar @ f1.5.

• Like 6

Am 10.3.2023 um 21:10 schrieb Rollin:

A lens with a true Sonnar optical formula has aspherical aberrations, which are a positive as that is how we get the beautiful rendering. You can not get this with a "perfect" lens. I appreciate that it holds true even when stopped down. Also, I appreciate Zeiss is giving us it with modern coatings in this lens. See the article linked in the second post of this thread:

Yes, exactly.

It is like the Canon 50 L 1.2. This lens reminds me a lot to the Sonnar 1.5. A lens with a lot of Soul and beauty...We tend to gravitate first to "more perfect" , more megapixel, sharper, more resolution etc...but after a while, when we go back to the aestethics  of photography, we realize that we don't need "better/sharper" etc...

Thats why I sold all my digital Leica Ms, also all my ASPH lenses and kept the 50/1.5 Sonnar, the 40 C Summicron with my M3  and the Canon 50 1.2 (for my EOS 30). But that's just my personal journey....

• Like 1

Am 11.3.2023 um 10:49 schrieb robbie3:

M9, C-Sonnar @ f/2

Really nice , the Sonnar and the CCD of the M9...magic combination - wonderful. As I mentioned above, similar magic like the Canon 50 L 1.2 with the 5DMII (digital).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shinobi2012 said:

Really nice , the Sonnar and the CCD of the M9...magic combination - wonderful. As I mentioned above, similar magic like the Canon 50 L 1.2 with the 5DMII (digital).

Thanks shinobi2012, I also have good memories of the Canon 50 f1.2L with 5DII. 

Both the Canon 5DII/50 f1.2L and the M9/50mm C-Sonnar seem to have a magical way of rendering reds.

vor 12 Minuten schrieb robbie3:

Thanks shinobi2012, I also have good memories of the Canon 50 f1.2L with 5DII. 

Both the Canon 5DII/50 f1.2L and the M9/50mm C-Sonnar seem to have a magical way of rendering reds.

I am glad that you feel and see the same. Yes, the reds, but also the overall appearance somehow has a feeling right out of the box. I know one can match and tweak colors. I used almost ever Leica M digital camera, The M9 and the mentioned Canon 5DM2 are my favorite digital Kameras in terms of colors ( I print a lot). I might get a M9 again and pair it with my Sonnar 🤩

• Like 1

Ref #213, I left the C-Sonnar on my M11 when going for a walk this morning around the NT's Kingston Lacy estate.  The NT likes to provide points of interest for children. Two at f1.5:-

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 2