Thinking about a used M246

kuau

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love shooting B&W and I have noticed there are a number of M246 used bodies available.

is this Leica still relevant or have most moved on to the M10 and converting to B&W in post.

Everything I have read online would suggest that unless shooting high ISO which I don’t btw, that it’s beter to go the M10 route.

i would be shooting the M246 at base ISO 95% of the time. I have downloaded a few DNG’s taken at ISO 360 and really love how they look.

i have read all the threads comparing the M246 to the M10 and there is no definitive finding. In general I never purchase new Leica bodies just because I have learned that if I wait a little while I can find a clean low mileage body for 20-30% off full price.

I shoot with the M10 and the first version Monochrom.  Both can produce superb results, while the latter provides a special b/w digital workflow and experience.  The color based Ms, on the other hand, provide greater PP flexibility with the use of color channels.  The M10 of course is the more robust and refined camera with better VF.  I enjoy both.

One can find a clean MM, with new sensor and warranty, for $3000-3500.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

The Monochrom (both types) produces an image that no B&W conversion can replicate. Having said that, the B&W results from the M10 are quite good as well, and as Jeff says it is easy to manipulate the tonality. For a Monochrom you need you use colour filters, and thus visualize the result before taking the photo.

• Like 3

In two previous replies there is no mention of M246.  Some users wax lyrical about Monochrom Mk1, how CCD sensor is special and god knows what, M9M is based on M9 platform and electronically and in few other aspects M240/246 is more advanced and was/is more reliable throughout operational history.

Real question is do you really want dedicated Monochrome camera, if you do i would advise to go for M246.  I got good B&W conversion from SL601 which has similar sensor to M10 but my go to B&W camera is M246. In my opinion buying M9M is potentially buying into problems, one being sensor, other temperamental writing to SD cards, also annoying shutter cocking.  Unless you can get cast iron guarantees that latest "non-corroding" sensor has been fitted as a replacement I would avoid, free sensor replacement is not offered any more and any repair trip to Germany is never cheap.  One good thing to be said about M9/M9M in comparison to M240/246 is "relatively" good handling of long exposures.  

• Like 3

I'm attracted by the idea of a Monochrom (either version) but the truth is I don't particularly WANT to carry color filters anymore and the color Ms convert pretty well, with the ability to mix color after the fact. Not that I don't admire someone who wants to go old school and screw in that red filter to darken the sky. Note that you can set the M10 in monochrome mode with RAW +JPG and the image that pops up on the screen will be black and white. I created a user profile for monochrome photography and I can switch to it quickly. You could always actually USE filters in monochrome mode. Sure you'd be ruining the color versions, but it would have the requisite effect. Would the quality be worse? Possibly compared to the M246 but it would still look awfully good and you could still take color shots without the filter.

It's just a cool camera (both Monochrom's) and I don't blame anyone for buying one (as I say, I'm tempted) but I just can't make myself believe it's worth it ... so far.

40 minutes ago, mmradman said:

In two previous replies there is no mention of M246.  Some users wax lyrical about Monochrom Mk1, how CCD sensor is special and god knows what, M9M is based on M9 platform and electronically and in few other aspects M240/246 is more advanced and was/is more reliable throughout operational history.

Real question is do you really want dedicated Monochrome camera, if you do i would advise to go for M246.  I got good B&W conversion from SL601 which has similar sensor to M10 but my go to B&W camera is M246. In my opinion buying M9M is potentially buying into problems, one being sensor, other temperamental writing to SD cards, also annoying shutter cocking.  Unless you can get cast iron guarantees that latest "non-corroding" sensor has been fitted as a replacement I would avoid, free sensor replacement is not offered any more and any repair trip to Germany is never cheap.  One good thing to be said about M9/M9M in comparison to M240/246 is "relatively" good handling of long exposures.  

Reputable dealers like Leica Miami will not sell any first version Monochrom without Wetzlar replacement to latest sensor and with warranty.  Mine received new sensor, full CLA and warranty, with under 5000 actuations and in mint condition, for a great price.  I also carry full replacement insurance on all my gear that covers everything outside warranty.  So, no worries as far as breakdowns. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Reputable dealers like Leica Miami will not sell any first version Monochrom without Wetzlar replacement to latest sensor and with warranty.  Mine received new sensor, full CLA and warranty, with under 5000 actuations and in mint condition, for a great price.  I also carry full replacement insurance on all my gear that covers everything outside warranty.  So, no worries as far as breakdowns. 

Jeff

Well yes, i would go with that.  As i said in my post above cast iron guarantee would be required to indulge me into buying something so expensive and prone to design failure.

12 hours ago, kuau said:

I love shooting B&W and I have noticed there are a number of M246 used bodies available.

is this Leica still relevant or have most moved on to the M10 and converting to B&W in post.

Everything I have read online would suggest that unless shooting high ISO which I don’t btw, that it’s beter to go the M10 route.

i would be shooting the M246 at base ISO 95% of the time. I have downloaded a few DNG’s taken at ISO 360 and really love how they look.

i have read all the threads comparing the M246 to the M10 and there is no definitive finding. In general I never purchase new Leica bodies just because I have learned that if I wait a little while I can find a clean low mileage body for 20-30% off full price.

Kuau,

If you can buy it (the Monochrom M246) now, don't wait more.

Or to see things other ways:

- if you hesitate between M246 and M10, you are leaning your choice to the Monochrom side already

- if you wait for M10 second hand you may wait much more longer than M246 that is available s.h. now

- M246 may no longer been made, so it will become scarcer with time on s.h. offer

- I convert M10's some files to b&w but those b&w general rendering is not really comparable to Monochrom native files (I use CCD MM1 for many years)

• 1 month later...

I've finally obtained the M246 and it's a fantastic machine.  Coming from M10 and recently having added M60, I find that sharing the fat batteries with the M60 is awesome, and a two-body photo walk with the two works wonders.  I like to mount a titanium APO 50mm on the M60 and a black LHSA APO 50mm on the M246, and set the ISO to 400 on both, ensuring almost identical preconditions for shots, and then learning to discern when a particular scene was best in B&W or color.  I also adjust the composition to get more contrast in B&W or more subtle colors for the color one.  It is really a testament to Leica to produce a B&W only series and a screenless series that started with M60, the whole setup is the result of a thoughtful approach to photography.  I believe that for humans, the end result is dramatically affected by the starting conditions, as in physics, and picking up a Monochrom starts a magic trajectory that will end up producing the situations, the serendipities, the moments worth remembering in B&W.

• Like 1