Traveling to South Africa with my SL

bikepic

24 minutes ago, caissa said:

If it is too short, you can also use a mirror lens e.g. Leica R 500 or Zeiss Mirotar. This is also not too heavy for safari. They are only f/8 but this should be fast enough for daylight photos.

The reality is the most shots present themselves at either dawn, or dusk, very rarely in true daylight. At least this has been experience.

Regards

I cannot see what you mean by insufficient resolution. 

A 280mm with 2x converter is also not optimally resolving. All errors are enlarged, so the mirror lens without converter is potentially even better.

It is a nice lens and can also be used for close up photos (well, it is not classical macro, because the distance is several meters, but still with nice results.) There is some light falloff at the corners if you want to find a weakness, but this is maybe because I use the M adapter for adaptation to the SL. But 500mm is not easy to hold steady without IS.

The 500mm are quite cheap, e.g. you could chose yashica instead of contax to make it even cheaper. So the risk is small. If you buy one, go to a zoo to test if you can handle it - and if resolution is sufficient.

Edited by caissa

I can compare. The lens is simply  far inferior to any of the better long R lenses + 1.4x or 2.0x Apo-Extender. And I didn't even mention the nasty bokeh, using such a lens one must be very careful to avoid busy backgrounds.

I also have the Telyt-R 500 mm f8 lens and I agree with jaapv, the mirror lens is inferior to all refractors with the word Leica printed on it.  One other drawback is that, if you are using a shoulder stock, which I really like to do, the mirror lens does not have a tripod mount; you would have to use the camera tripod mount, yielding a very unbalanced set-up.

The long zooms are great lenses, but quite expensive   A quick look at ebay (first 50 offerings only) today showed the following:

- 350mm f4.8 Telyt-R $600.00 OBO (mislabeled as "APO-Telyt-R - it is not an APO lens); another one listed for $999.00 OBO

- 280mm f4.0 APO-Telyt-R $3899.00

- 1.4 X APO-Extender-R $495.00, $545.00

- 2.0 X APO-Extender-R ROM $579.00, $475.00

The non-APO 2.0 X extender lists for under $100.00, but is not worth it.

The "Telescope" lenses are also quite cheap, but in a different class.

You really get what you pay for!

Guy

Theoretically the mirror lenses are maybe weaker than refractors in contrast and bokeh, but still it is possible to get fine results in practice. In the thread ‘vintage lenses for SL’ dkCambridgeshire has tried the Yashica lens with mutar II extender. And I find the results not too bad. (It was not too long ago on August 14th.)

Great discussion.  Very helpful.  I purchased a Nikon D850 and will use this for my trip.  I will be able to rent the larger telephoto lenses while there.  So I wont have purchase them, and better yet, I wont have to travel with them.   I really appreciate all of the info.  I am so glad I posted about this, as the SL with the 90-280 would have been very challenging.  I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday.

Just to say I do hope you have a great trip.  I've just come back from the Waterberg area having used a 90-280 almost all the time.  I  did take a CL and used it once.  I had to leave my 280 f4 and 2x at home because of their weight! As others have said, most of the time the 90-280 performed admirably. The extra reach with the Cl did not make a lot of difference.  My pal with me had a Nikon 400mm 2.8 with 2x converter on a D6 and got the bird shots better than I could - but om several occasions with mammals he was frustrated having "too much lens, as he put it.  I used a monopod and had no trouble in a vehicle - but there were spaces in it so I didn't have the problem of hitting folks over the head that I would have done had it been full!!!!  Enjoy....

Graeme

• Thanks 1