Traveling to South Africa with my SL

bikepic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am traveling to South Africa with my SL.   I am taking my 24-90mm, and I just purchased the 90-280mm.  I am taking both of those lenses with me.  I am trying to decide if I should take the Q as well, or an M lens.  Any thoughts?  i will be in Johannesburg, Kruger National Park (Sabi Sands) for safari, and Cape Town.   

This is my first trip to Africa.  I would be grateful for any tips from anyone that has traveled there.

thank you

At least 400, preferably 800 stabilized. 

I prefer the Panasonic GX-8 with DG Vario-Elmar 100-400 for safari work.

And, TBH, a compact set for the rest of the travel. CL, 18-56, 55-135 and Summilux-M 24

Be careful in Jo' burg - there are unsafe areas.

This was my 27th trip into Africa ;)

• Like 2

The 24 to 200 mm range will be fine for cityscapes and landscapes. The 90-280 mm will be fine for larger animals in Sabie Sand if you go on organized game drives during which they will take you close to the animals. On your own it is not that easy because you don't know where the animals are, and if you are not in practice to spot animals, we more often than not miss them. If you like to photograph birds however, the 280 will be a bit on the short side - a 400 to 500 mm is generally the minimum. Enjoy your trip - Sabie Sand is a great experience.

Kind regards from South Africa, Martin

Sabie Sand is indeed pretty civilized ;)  However, 280 will only get you general shots, you will be doing a lot of cropping. My favourite length for most safari work is about 400 mm. I cannot understand why Leica does not provide a 1.4x extender for that superb 90-280. Or maybe the CL is meant as such.

• Like 1

The CL would be a good option. You would have a 400 mm FOV and a modicum of IS. You would still need a beanbag, as the balance would not be optimal, but I would certainly be happy with that combo. 

1 hour ago, grahamhoey said:

Agree with all above. 400mm is minimum for safari work. Also I find a monopod invaluable unless you are really good at hand holding a long and heavy lens. 

A monopod is great for hiking. In a Safari vehicle you tend to hit your fellow passengers on the ankles. A beanbag is far more practical. Some Safari vehicles have camera mounts. I find them useless. As soon as anybody moves, you get vibrations and wobbles.

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Sabie Sand is indeed pretty civilized ;)  However, 280 will only get you general shots, you will be doing a lot of cropping. My favourite length for most safari work is about 400 mm. I cannot understand why Leica does not provide a 1.4x extender for that superb 90-280. Or maybe the CL is meant as such.

The CL just falls short of a capable AF tracking better than the aged SL.

Leica is generously waiting for Panasonic & Sigma to come up with a APSC L mount camera with superb AF to take on the great 90-280mm .....period.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scroy said:

General question would a CL/TL2 for the 90-280 => 135-420 work for Safaris?  I was thinking about one next year and was looking at taking the SL+TL2 + lenses mentioned. 

You get the narrow FOV, but not the optical magnification. The higher pixel count of the APS-c cropped image will allow a larger print size than the same image shot and cropped from the FF sensor of the SL.

7 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

Leica is generously waiting for Panasonic & Sigma to come up with a APSC L mount camera with superb AF to take on the great 90-280mm .....period.

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning. Leica plans to benefit from increased lens sales due to the L alliance. They probably make more money on lenses and won't need to spend millions on R&D for the next level of sensor and body. 

Thank you for all of your suggestions.  I will still take the SL.  I think will be great in Cape Town, and Johannesburg, however, numerous people have advised me how unsafe Joburg is, so I will need proceed with caution there.  Regarding safari, today I went and played with the Canon EOS R, with the 100-400mm lens.  While it definitley isnt an SL, it did not disappoint me.  I will go back and test it again the next couple days before making a decision.   Thanks again to everyone.

The problem with taking two incompatible systems is that they cannot be a backup for one another. If you take a CL and an SL they can take each other's lenses in case one of the bodies breaks down / crashes to the floor / gets stolen.

The only way to get 400+ mm focal length on the SL TODAY is to use the Apo-Telyt-R 280mm F4.0 and the 2X Apo-Extender-R (and the R-Adapter-L).  But the combo, while optically unsurpassed, is manual focus and not image stabilized.  There is also the Telyt-R 350 mm f4.8; It is cheaper and somewhat longer, but not as good optically as the Apo-Telyt 280.  nevertheless, I used it with good results before I got the Apo-Telyt.  I used that equipment with my R9 on multiple safaris.

Guy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by gvaliquette
Added photo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, gvaliquette said:

The only way to get 400+ mm focal length on the SL TODAY is to use the Apo-Telyt-R 280mm F4.0 and the 2X Apo-Extender-R (and the R-Adapter-L).  But the combo, while optically unsurpassed, is manual focus and not image stabilized.  There is also the Telyt-R 350 mm f4.8; It is cheaper and somewhat longer, but not as good optically as the Apo-Telyt 280.  nevertheless, I used it with good results before I got the Apo-Telyt.  I used that equipment with my R9 on multiple safaris.

Guy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I was photographing birds today with my 70-180 f2.8 and 2 x with the R-L adapter. MF and lack of IS made almost no difference.

I kept the ISO at 1600, f4, 1/2500s on average. Almost every shot was at 135 (times 2) or greater. Most were at 180 (times 2). I think using the 90-280 will leave smaller than desired pictures of the main subjects. 

I agree with jaapv, the 105-280 with 2x should be your #1 combo for safari. Practice your MF prior to the trip. Practice estimating distances so you can predial the focus while raising the camera.  I always preset a little short on the distance, so I can immediately start by pulling the focus ring down with my index finger. I use only my index finger to push up (focus closer) or pull down (focus further) the focus ring for quick and accurate focusing. Use a good middle f stop and use the higher ISO to keep the shutter speed at 1/2000s or faster. You won't have any shake issues unless you jerk the shutter. Also shoot in bursts of 3 or 4 at medium speed. Digital files cost nothing to create. Use the machine gun style of shooting your pictures. You can always delete later. You can't capture missed shots because you were shooting singles.

I've been to private reserves just off the Kruger National Park many times and would agree with others in that 280mm is not really enough. I usually take a D810 (D800 for back-up) and both a 600mm F4.0 and 300mm F2.8.

If you're going to one of the private reserves they do go off-road and so with cropping you may get some worthwhile shots. If however you're just in the actual park they have to stay on the roads and so you may struggle. 

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

If you want to take a look at my website "photographybytomlane.com" you'll find images of wildlife and some of the actual camps surrounding the Kruger.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by lanetomlane

The IS of the SL 90-280 is very useful - and I would not want to miss it.

If it is too short, you can also use a mirror lens e.g. Leica R 500 or Zeiss Mirotar. This is also not too heavy for safari. They are only f/8 but this should be fast enough for daylight photos.

Edited by caissa