Image compression by the forum software revisited

tritentrue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

Autumn Colours 18-56

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I see that this image is normal posting size.

By any chance did you figure out what the issue is with some members' photos being compressed?  Mine are still being shrunk, and it takes much of the pleasure away from participating in this community.

• Thanks 1

FWIW I am saving my images from Lightroom CC (not LR Classic CC), with the 'Custom' size option, set at 1280 pixels on the longest edge. This yields a file usually just under the size limit of 992K (for premium members) without requiring comression (which is not a save option anyway in LR CC).

This is an ongoing issue for me since October 11.  My image files, saved in accordance with website limits, with no more than 1280p on the long edge, usually top out between 700-990kb.  As is evidenced by the "My attachments" tab on my profile, the website compresses the images around 70% on average, with some having been shrunk to less than 150kb.   It has been discussed via private message and acknowledged by LUF Admin as a website issue affecting some members.  However, as yet, for my images, no solution has been effected.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, tritentrue said:

This is an ongoing issue for me since October 11.  My image files, saved in accordance with website limits, with no more than 1280p on the long edge, usually top out between 700-990kb.  As is evidenced by the "My attachments" tab on my profile, the website compresses the images around 70% on average, with some having been shrunk to less than 150kb.   It has been discussed via private message and acknowledged by LUF Admin as a website issue affecting some members.  However, as yet, for my images, no solution has been effected.

I see what you mean. Yes, mine have been substantially compressed as well. I'll report it elsewhere. TBH, I have never looked at this before, so I have no idea whether it started with the new website or not.

The other problem that seemed to be random was being told that some image files were too large (they were not) when I tried to attach them. Reloading the webpage and then recreating the post and reattaching the file sorted it most times.

Yes, the last bug is quite annoying. I have a feeling that it mostly occurs when posting in a second post.

As for the compression, I can confirm that, but I have yet to see any image deterioration from this cause. Still, Andreas has said he'd look into it.

3 hours ago, tritentrue said:

It has been manipulated as well. But was actually expanded by 100 bytes. It was hard to compress sufficiently to upload because of the high frequency (I had to drop to quality 8 to get it under 1 kB), so I guess the site algorithm was not able to compress it further and went the other way.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, jaapv said:

It has been compressed as well. But only by a small amount. It was hard to compress sufficiently to upload because of the high frequency (I had to drop to quality 8 to get it under 1 kB), so I guess the site algorithm was not able to compress it much further.

I reduce quality on about half of the shots I submit in order to get them below 1000kb.

But since Oct 11, not a single shot of mine has posted at more than 450kb, most less than 300kb, and many under 200kb.

Plenty of details get wiped out just getting the images under 1000kb.  But the additional degradation done by the compression totally ruins the work I put into shooting and processing.  It's just not worth it to post here until or unless the issue is resolved. It is unfair.

51 minutes ago, jaapv said:

See my edit. On rechecking the image was expanded.

That does nothing for the ones of mine that have been compressed.

Nice of you to make it look like I started the thread, though, and then bury it here, where it will undoubtedly die quickly.

2 hours ago, tritentrue said:

That does nothing for the ones of mine that have been compressed.

Nice of you to make it look like I started the thread, though, and then bury it here, where it will undoubtedly die quickly.

Unfortunately it doesn't belong in an image thread. The software assigs the author automatically.

• Thanks 1

If you come across the situation of trying to post a second image in a second post, right after a first one and the software tells you that you can only upload to 500/1000kb, refresh the browser window. Then you will be able to post further images, each up to the limit of your forum membership.

Just for the record, the autumn image above is 909kb

I note that this shot is in RGB colour space. Others of Rob's shots are still in ProPhotoRGB. (A Yellow bittern shot, for example)

As far as I know, this latter format is not particularly web-friendly.

This is a wild guess, but maybe the forum software is doing something to the ProPhotoRGB shots to make them "web-friendly", hence the compression.

2 minutes ago, andybarton said:

This is a wild guess, but maybe the forum software is doing something to the ProPhotoRGB shots to make them "web-friendly", hence the compression.

About a week ago I started using LR mobile and Affinity Photo for processing.  LR mobile has no option for changing (or even identifying) the color space, and Affinity opens the file using the existing ICC profile.  

In the attached file, I changed the color space to Adobe RGB (1998), and the file size is 650kb.  Let's see what size it uploads to:

Try saving it as sRGB

Here's one of mine, in first, ProPhoto space and then sRGB.

• Like 1

Sizes of the two files on my Mac.

Both of these have been compressed by the forum software. Here's the screenshot when I have downloaded them to my desktop, from the forum.

This little exercise also goes to show that even Chrome on OSX doesn't render ProPhotoRGB shots at all well.

I have reported this thread to Andreas for an update on bug-clearance.

• Like 1