User Profiles

Brian C in Az

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The camera has the ability to store user profiles. It has a default profile and then user 1 to 4. Each one has the word USED next to it, so I presume that means there is already a profile in each. Has anyone looked into them to see the differences? Or are they just blank profiles or copies of the default profile until we alter them and save a new profile in them. The camera also provides for uploading profiles. From where would we get profiles to upload? It would be nice to set up one user for each lens or group of lenses when using non native lenses.

I ask because when you switch from default to user 1, you lose all your settings/ changes to the default setting. So I had to go back and make my customized setting choices all over again. I ask because I don't want to modify the profiles until I know that there isn't some feature or group of features that work well for a specific task or scenario already saved in one of the user profiles.

I don’t believe there is any user profile setup in the camera other than default. You can change default to whatever you want. However as soon as you save a profile default reverts back to the original camera default settings. So change the default to what you want and if you want different user profiles save those settings as say User 1, you can change the name as well. I have setup my most common settings under my name as #1. I have also setup a portrait setting as user 2. So I never use default any more. Hope this helps. 

User profiles are just a quick way of accessing a favourite camera setup. So set the camera to a particular situation, save as a profile and rename to taste. That way you avoid having to change a number of settings when you need to.

4 hours ago, Brian C in Az said:

The camera has the ability to store user profiles. It has a default profile and then user 1 to 4. Each one has the word USED next to it, so I presume that means there is already a profile in each. Has anyone looked into them to see the differences? Or are they just blank profiles or copies of the default profile until we alter them and save a new profile in them. The camera also provides for uploading profiles. From where would we get profiles to upload? It would be nice to set up one user for each lens or group of lenses when using non native lenses.

I ask because when you switch from default to user 1, you lose all your settings/ changes to the default setting. So I had to go back and make my customized setting choices all over again. I ask because I don't want to modify the profiles until I know that there isn't some feature or group of features that work well for a specific task or scenario already saved in one of the user profiles.

They are all blank. 

Configure the camera as you want it for everyday use then save that as Profile 1 named as 'basic' or something similar.

I have a second profile configured for bracketing/hdr that automatically takes 3 shots, a third for using the 50 & 75 SL with a slightly higher minimum shutter speed and the last as fully manual with a 2 sec timer for landscape tripod use. 

Bear in mind you can set and save almost ALL the parameters you can change in the menus, including button assignments etc etc, so you need to think fairly carefully about what you want to achieve.

The default profile and settings are frankly useless and I would prefer this to be overwritten as another option but Leica has it fixed and unchangeable.

Whatever you do you must at the very least set your own default profile and configure a button to access it easily, so you can revert to your base settings if you fiddle with things and can't really remember what you have done .....🙄

Also ..... remember to save them to your SD card every time you change cards so you always have a back-up. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Anyway you can change and save  them as often as you want, so there is nothing scary about this feature.

I agree that it would be practical if one could set a basic profile as the default to revert to. The basic profile on any Leica is not the one I prefer.

vor 22 Stunden schrieb mediafotografie:

yes, user settings are a very very helpful tool every day, they work great with the SL.

Sometime they get lost during Firmware Upgrade - because you can store them on SD Cards this shouldn't be a problem

Yes, they work fine, but I would love to see 5 or even 6 user profiles rather than only 4. Despite my request leica did not change the number of possible user profiles since Leica M9! Leica ignores the increase of possible settings since then (e.g. video). Very disappointing. Esp. as it should be easy to do so.

• Like 4

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know if there is a way to make sure that each time you turn your SL2 on, it can go straight to your user profile? every time I turn the camera on it goes right back to the default profile and I would like it to go to my user profile. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks Justine 

My SL2-S does this normally. 

Previously, though, when I have installed a firmware update and reinstalled my profiles, I find that the camera does not return to a profile after switching off and on again - the same problem you describe. I solved it by saving the profile(s) over again. After that, the camera returns to the profile when I switch it on.

When starting the camera up it retains the last settings used although it's not listed as Profile 1 or 2 etc but still the same settings as previously used. If you press default profile it will return to the settings to how the camera came new, in the box, including auto iso and floating iso and a whole lot of other scary settings. If you press default then you will have to go through and change everything back unless you have a profile already named, like Standard or I have one set up for back button to use with manual focus but the toggle is the focus lock and the shutter locks exposure - or the other way around is better in some shooting situation. It means you can lock on to exposing for either dark or light and focus with the other. I have one for Tracking but that one has proved temperamental - still working on it. Just dont press "default"

If you have profiles with "used" next to it then there has been a profile saved in there. If you didnt save it and its a new camera, it might be a user error and you have save profiles without knowing it?

Overwrite the profile with one of your own and the go back into settings and press Rename Profile and type something new in. 

Edited by Ken Abrahams

On 6/26/2023 at 9:34 AM, Ken Abrahams said:

When starting the camera up it retains the last settings used although it's not listed as Profile 1 or 2 etc but still the same settings as previously used

I have just tested my SL2-S - I selected a profile, turned off the camera, waited a bit, then turned it on - it still showed the same profile number. 

• Like 1