Canon Serenar 28mm f3.5 vs original Summaron 28

romualdo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've heard varying reports re the 28 Serenar - significant variation between individual lenses

One has turned up here locally with the original case & viewfinder at a reasonable price (glass in excellent condition except mild dust)

I'm looking for a 28 for my LTMs - how does this Canon compare to the original 28 Summaron?

Did these early LTM canons have an issue with glass fogging which returns after cleaning - to do with the glass itself OR was that the later lenses (non Serenar)

I have the 35mm f2.8 Canon in earlier chrome finish and it is very good, my Leica repair man said that it was as good as the contemporary Summicron.

so if the 28 mm is as good and the price is reasonable I would say buy it, especially as it comes with the case and viewfinder.

i do not have the 28mm Summaron to compare it with but do again have the 35mm Summaron, both f3.5 and f2.8 versions.

• Thanks 1

I have the 35mm f2.8 Canon LTM lens and it is just as good as the 35mm f2.8 Summarons ( I have 3 different versions of that lens LTM, M and M with goggles). I don't have a Canon 28mm , but I have the 28mm Summaron LTM f 5.6 lens (not the modern re-creation) which is absolutely superb and is much better than most contemporary lenses from the 1950s. If you can test the Canon 28mm on a digital camera using an adapter it might set your mind at rest. A collector friend here in Dublin who has a wide range of Leica copies has nothing but praise for Canon LTM lenses.

William

• Thanks 1

Winogrand used this lens, then 2.8 and didn't bother with Ron :).

Canon 50mm lenses have this fogging problems. Some of them you can't clean, it is internal or external surface already itched.  I had one 50 1.8 with internal, between glued lenses. For earlier version of this lens they say no fogging. 

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Thanks 1