Automatic lens cap

Keith1974

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was walking around London taking photos at lunchtime and ended up leaving the lens cap in my pocket.  

I was thinking about getting one of these automatic caps.  Has anyone used one?   Would you recommend it?

eFonto/JJC ALC-X2 Professional Self-Retaining Automatic Open Close Auto Lens Cap For LEICA X1 & X2 Black

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XVETLSE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_t1c7BbD90JBKV

If you have this cap on does the camera remain the same size?   Could you use a leather case on top of this (for protecting the camera in my bag) 

From what I've seen of those caps, using a leather case would be problematic, unless it was just a half-case.  They are a little bulkier than the original cap due to the mechanism inside.  I have seen some Neoprene cases that would work fine, but they are not ever ready style.  They are basically just a wrap with Velcro fasteners.

PF

Edited by PFM

Hi

I have used the X-E with a (silver) automatic cap from JJC. It will fit in the Leica ever-ready case - though a little tighter than with the standard cap.

However, (IMHO) the material quality and the looks of the automatic cap do not match the camera. So I now use the standard clip-on cap again - but only for storing the camera at home. Out on a shoot, I think the ever-ready case provides sufficient protection for the lens.

Markus

35 minutes ago, D-Lux said:

Hi

I have used the X-E with a (silver) automatic cap from JJC. It will fit in the Leica ever-ready case - though a little tighter than with the standard cap.

However, (IMHO) the material quality and the looks of the automatic cap do not match the camera. So I now use the standard clip-on cap again - but only for storing the camera at home. Out on a shoot, I think the ever-ready case provides sufficient protection for the lens.

Markus

Brilliant.  I think that's exactly how I would use it.  I currently keep the camera wrapped up in my bag and use it when out so the auto cap would be sufficient for that.  

Thank you.