Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2 Lens

8 hours ago, mkenaylor said:

I'm pretty good with PS and I've tried every which way without success.  So, I'm asking if anyone has tried and succeeded.

You may get better results taking multiple photos of the same scene, focusing at different distances and then layering them, rather than relying on applying blur filters to a single image. (Is that what you meant Exodies?)

But to be honest, I don't think you'll get good results. My suggestion would to be to bite the bullet, find a cheaper LTM version and have much more fun with a real lens rather than playing around with software.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2018 at 12:09 PM, jaapv said:

Not software. Remove nylon panty from any leg around you, cut a 8 cm circle of fabric, fix over lens with rubber band.

Pantyhose perhaps?  I feel sure that humans of the female persuasion might take umbrage at having 8 cm holes cut in their panties, Jaap. It might become a trifle draughty. 😄

Pete.

• Haha 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/14/2018 at 9:53 AM, mkenaylor said:

There's no way I'll be buying such an expensive lens, so I'm looking for a way to create this soft diffuse effect in post.  I'm pretty good with PS and I've tried every which way without success.  So, I'm asking if anyone has tried and succeeded.

The Nik Suite has various filters that can help. In Color Efex (you can still use it with a B&W image) there are adjustable soft focus filters that used selectively can help isolate say the foreground from the background. But the best for sharp focus but diffused light typical of an older lens is 'Glamour Glow' (not nearly as bad as it sounds when used in moderation).

Edited by 250swb

Thanks to all.  I managed this in Color Efex Pro 4, using the Classical Soft Focus filter.  I'm happy with this, but I guess its quite different to a Thamber.  Comments please...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 hours ago, MikeNaylor said:

Thanks to all.  I managed this in Color Efex Pro 4, using the Classical Soft Focus filter.  I'm happy with this, but I guess its quite different to a Thamber.  Comments please...

You are right, its a lot different to a Thambar.

On 11/19/2018 at 3:01 AM, farnz said:

Pantyhose perhaps?  I feel sure that humans of the female persuasion might take umbrage at having 8 cm holes cut in their panties, Jaap. It might become a trifle draughty. 😄

Pete.

There is no need to return the garment to its former position;)

• Like 1

Here's a starting place with Photoshop - I'll tell you the settings I used: you can vary those ("Undo" is your friend ;) ).

- Open the image, and duplicate it as a new layer

- Set the new layer Opacity to 60% or so (that can be changed and adjusted freely later on - this is with 70%). Set the Opacity style to "Normal" to begin with - you can fiddle with that as much as you like later, also).

- Run a Gaussian Blur on the new layer (my sample is a 62-pixel Gaublur on a full 24Mp M10 image).

- Play with Levels or Curves to adjust how bright or dark the fuzzy overlay is (I just ran an auto-Levels to get the brightest blurs back to white, in that layer only).

That basically replicates the Thambar's extreme Spherical Aberration - a blurry image from the aperture's edges overlaid transparently on a sharp image from the center of the lens. (It is also how Zeiss Softar filters render - sharp image through the flat glass, overlaid with blur from the "dimples" on the surface:

What I haven't tried yet - adding chromatic aberration (color fringes), and doing something to replicate the ring-bokeh when using the Thambar's center-stop filter (although I have an idea about that).

Edited by adan
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, adan said:

Here's a starting place with Photoshop - I'll tell you the settings I used: you can vary those ("Undo" is your friend ;) ).

I've experimented with this technique many times.  I suppose what I'm really looking for (and it may not be a Thambar effect at all) is a way to create halation - to make the highlights glow and spread out outwards.  I'm aware of the many Tiffen filters and have watched the videos, etc.  The Softar is not available in 46mm.  Besides, I'd prefer to do it post.  Maybe its just not possible.

2 hours ago, adan said:

doing something to replicate the ring-bokeh when using the Thambar's center-stop filter (although I have an idea about that).

Good luck with that Andy. There are all sorts of variables that come into play that I think it will be difficult to replicate the whole effect with software. I was going to write "to replicate the whole effect consistently with software", but it's the near impossible task of predicting the precise rendering, thus being able to be consistent, that makes the Thambar such fun/difficult/intriguing to use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeNaylor said:

I've experimented with this technique many times.  I suppose what I'm really looking for (and it may not be a Thambar effect at all) is a way to create halation - to make the highlights glow and spread out outwards.  I'm aware of the many Tiffen filters and have watched the videos, etc.  The Softar is not available in 46mm.  Besides, I'd prefer to do it post.  Maybe its just not possible.

https://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/soft-focus/