Summilux 35mm pre-asph lacking a shroud

ellisson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received a copy of the summilux 35mm pre-asph lens and noticed that it lacked a shroud or any metal rim to protect the rear element.  While a "overly" protruding shroud may prevent proper function on some cameras, the lack of any protective shroud makes me concerned that the rear element will eventually be damaged.  Looking at the back of the lens, I would not risk setting it down on a flat surface, but this may occur at some point.  

I am concerned that there was a shroud present at some point, but it was removed.  If the shroud was removed it would be difficult to replace assuming that Leica does not stock parts for these vintage lenses.   Having the part made would be challenging without the detailed specs and without knowing whether it threads into the space around the rear element.  I'd just hate to start using this lens without adequate protection of the glass surface. 

Does anyone know if some of the summilux 35mm pre-aspherics were manufactured without any shroud or protective rim?  I have not found any examples of this in my research, so I suspect its a missing part.  Thanks for your thoughts.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Which version is your Summilux: is it a  Canadian one, or a later one made at Wetzlar? The Canadians are said to have a shroud which is too large; my own works on the M10, but with the M9 I cannot focus it to infinity. I am not sure if the later Wetzlar-made versions also have a shroud which is smaller, or whether the shroud has been completely left out. 

1 hour ago, UliWer said:

Which version is your Summilux: is it a  Canadian one, or a later one made at Wetzlar? The Canadians are said to have a shroud which is too large; my own works on the M10, but with the M9 I cannot focus it to infinity. I am not sure if the later Wetzlar-made versions also have a shroud which is smaller, or whether the shroud has been completely left out. 

It is a 1980s Canadian version copy of the lens.   

2 hours ago, lct said:

I would ask on the Collectors & Historica forum to be sure but the shroud has been removed or shaved most probably.
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/forum/35-leica-collectors-historica/

I'll look there to see if it was removed by a prior owner. 

1 hour ago, JMF said:

Hi, the shroud was most probably removed to use this lens on a Leica M8 .

Could explain it.  If so,  I wish it had been saved for the next owner!   

I'll call Leica  (parts department) on the off-chance they might have a shroud for this lens somewhere.  If they do not have one, perhaps they can give me information on the shroud size and assembly details and I can see if one can be machined.

There are various threads here on LUF from the M8 times discussing this issue.

The protective shroud of the  35 pre asph v2 Summilux hits the narrower inner cage of the M8 and had to be modified or removed to enable using the lens with this camera.

Just remember not to lay the lens on its rear without a lens cap and you'll be fine.

Edited by JMF

DAG modified the shroud of my 35mm pre-asph to allow infinity focus, but he did so in a way to protect the rear element when placed downward on a table.  The shroud is only partially shaven at points to allow infinity focus and partially still extending beyond the rear element for protection.  The lens can rest on 3 prongs.  Tom

I would much prefer to have a shroud in need of modification as noted above,  but having no shroud at all is a different sort of problem.  I must be extra cautious as noted by JMF  - no leaving the lens without a cap on when its not mounted on a camera.  That rear glass is really exposed and comes right up to the lens mount surface.  Makes me nervous!😟 

38 minutes ago, ellisson said:

I got an email back today from Leica parts and technical services informing me that they have the shroud for the Summilux 35mm pre-asph.  Nice!

I hope they verify that it is dimensioned to clear the digital M.

And good for you!

51 minutes ago, pico said:

I hope they verify that it is dimensioned to clear the digital M.

And good for you!

Yes, the clearance on the M10 digital is the issue now.   I don't know the experience of others with this lens on the M10, but I think I may have to have the shroud filed down if it causes the same problem as on the M8 and M9s. 

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Wonderful Leica service 👍.

A part for this lens ( end production 1995, after 34 years from first 35mm Summilux ) is a kind of miracle for me.

Agree, I'm glad they have this given the time from last production.