7artisan 50mm 1.1 L-Mount

Andrea Bianchi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,
at B&H I've seen a 7Artisans 50mm f1.1 L-Mount. 

Do you think it is a good match for the SL? 

I’ve heared that the M-Mount version has some problems focusing beyond 3m on the SL, due to it’s rear element; does truly exist an L-Mount versione? Never heared of it, neither on the 7Artisans website..

I've read nothing about the performance of this lens on the SL, but reviews of its performance on M cameras have not been very good. It's said to be very unsharp wide open, which is how most people want to use a Noctilux type lens.

On the other hand, it's so inexpensive that you don't have much to lose if you find you don't like it.

Check the M lens forum, where there has been a long-standing thread, with plenty of posts and photos.

7artisans 50mm F1.1 Leica M Mount - Page 16 - Leica M Lenses - Leica Forum.webloc

Its a bargain for the price; stopped down it was pretty good; bokeh was somewhat busy.  

Many liked the lens, others did not.

Edited by ropo54

It’s impossible to use the 7artisans on a SL or CL as the back of the lens touches the black surrounding just in front of the SL or CL sensor. However the Chinese manufacturer is willing to modify his lens free of charge.

so take care!

john 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 minutes ago, satijntje said:

It’s impossible to use the 7artisans on a SL or CL as the back of the lens touches the black surrounding just in front of the SL or CL sensor. However the Chinese manufacturer is willing to modify his lens free of charge.

so take care!

john 

Why is that? 

To use lens designed for M camera on alternative SL camera you need a spacer A.K.A. "Leica L-M Adapter", adapter is some 8mm thick extension tube.  

I would imagine any 7Artisan lens originally designed for M would have extra tube added to the lens bottom to make it L dedicated lens, are you saying optical rear element is still close to L sensor??

Yes, of course you need the adapter. But even with this additional distance the back of the 50mm 7artisans touches the black part that is a few mm before the sensor. I have discussed this with the engineer from the factory, and they are aware of this and proposed me to send back the lens so that they will modify it (shortening the tube with less then 1mm).

the new 35 mm lens does not have this problem however, and I assume the upcoming 28mm f1.4 also not.

john 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I confirm that mine cannot be used on the SL with the Leica SL-M adapter.

I have not intent to send it to China to be modified and will keep it for use on my M-E. It is a fun and lovely lens.

Edited by GLAUMAX