US Resident shopping in France

seekwul

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, algrove said:

Now if you ever want to declare with US customs for travel ouside the US (which I always do for "other" customs inspectors in the world and in the event of theft-proof of ownership), you might have trouble convincing the US customs agent that it is a US camera or perjure yourself on the form. They can check via serial number to see if it was a US camera, so have your importation paperwork handy. Also when you sell it you will have to disclose it was a gray market camera. As you must know Leica guys are very strict about their used purchases.

Food for thought. 

Not really. I've been traveling all over the world for at east 20 years and have not ever had any country request an inspection or declaration of any cameras. Entering the US, you are required to declare purchases abroad over whatever is the current threshold amount, which of course includes camera purchases. However, there is no US import duty, or sales tax, charged on still camera equipment brought in from abroad. While it may have been advisable in the 1950s to declare valuable personal effects with US customs when leaving for abroad, there is no requirement or reason to do so now.

I have traveled to more than 80 countries over 50 years and in many countries it is a good idea to have the US Customs form proving you brought the camera out of the US woth you. Cameras are very common today, but I have been prepared when asked for proof of ownership in 3rd and 4th world environments. Sure it seldom occurs, but I do not agree "there is no requirement or reason to do so now."

I often travel with over US$100K in camera gear.

When I take a camera, purchased in the US, to be used in another country, I should think that the other country's concern is that I might sell it inside their country without paying their import duty. So how does having a document showing that the camera gear was originally purchased in the US help?  In much of the world, VAT charges of roughly 20% take the place of import duty.    When I have had to ship a camera in or out of a VAT country, the paperwork needs to be created to cover both directions.    Examples are returning a camera to Leica for repair, or receiving a camera from Leica to test and then return.  But carrying the camera with me, I just go through the green lane.

Incidentally, the current Brexit chaos has caused the price of the pound when purchased in other currencies to be extraordinarily low.  Right now, an SL lens, for example, which would cost $4750 in the US, is 3000 GBP without VAT in the UK.  That translates into $3800.  Half of the difference is the VAT, half is the unusual exchange rate.  Of course, shipping costs and bank transfer fees will eat up some of the savings, but the exchange rate savings will not be available forever, so I am tempted.