Pickpocket resistant bag for M10

Markah1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rather than add to the 15 pages of posts on the “best bag”, I thought I’d start a new topic focusing on bag safety.  I don’t travel with a lot of kit but would like not to be worried that I’ll be separated from it.   There is probably a balance between security and easy accessibility to the camera when an opportunity arises.  

Would like to hear the experience of Leica travelers with secure yet accessible camera bags?  Much appreciated.

I'm a fan of hip-packs and recently found Pacsafe Vibe 100. If you don't go out with Summiluxes and stick to small lenses it's ideal: inconspicuous, reasonable fast accessible and secured at every spot

33 minutes ago, CaseyS said:

Peak Design bags have a security zipper.  It might make it more difficult to unzip the bag without notice, but nothing is 100% theft proof.

+1 . Peak Design bags have security tabs for the main zippers on their bags. You really can’t beat the 5L Sling bag If you like to wear a minimal kit and like the style of the bag. Mine hold both an M and Q together securely. 

The Thinktank Retrospective series have a ton of Velcro on them. You can't miss the noise on those bags. But when I read pickpocket I don't necessarily think of sneaky camera theft, since it large and weighs enough to notice. Those camera thefts are more likely to happen with force. In which case a proper insurance policy might be better.

I usually have something less conspicuous like an ordinary nondescript bag-pack with a camera insert or a generic messenger-bag (also with a camera insert) which I can carry in front of me.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 1:24 AM, Markah1 said:

....There is probably a balance between security and easy accessibility to the camera when an opportunity arises.  

You answered your own question.  Pickpockets are only one type of thief and a determined thief isn't going to be deterred by Velcro.  He (or she) will find a way to just take the bag and the Velcro too, if they get the chance.

Insure adequately and be aware of your surroundings.   

Any bag that requires at least two stages to access the contents should give you a fighting chance of realising that someone is trying to relieve you of your camera gear. Pickpockets work in busy places such as stations, subways and popular shopping areas, so it's probably a good idea to carry your bag in such a way that you can see it and keep a hand on it. 

Muggers work in less crowded places, as the current Mrs O found out to her cost in Barcelona a few years ago.

I spoke to a pretty well-known pro photographer who has been traveling the world for 40+ years and visited probably 100+ countries.  The only incident he ever had was when he left his gear in the trunk of his car in San Francisco.

• Like 2

The OP specifically asked about pickpockets, not slash-and-grab theives, not armed muggers.  Pickpockets tend to target whomever poses the least risk of discovery, where they can get in and out quickly, preferably using just one hand.  The more it takes to get a hand inside a bag the less it appeals to pickpockets.  Two I use and like are the Domke F5XB (my current one is actually the J5XB, made from ballistic nylon vs canvas), and Billingham's S2.  Both bags have a zippered main compartment that holds 1 or 2 M bodies and 4 lenses (using the back-to-back couplers).  More lenses and/or a flash can be accomodated if only one body is carried.   The Domke's outer flap is velcro, the Billingham's is a press-stud (mine is old and has buckles).  For fast shooting in safe, open areas, either bag can be left unzipped and/or the flap flipped over the backside of the bag against the wearer.  The Domke has the added benefit of a belt-tube running the width of the rear.  I have a lightweight but strong nylon belt with Delrin clip, which I use in conjuction with the main strap worn bandolero-style across my body.   I don't delude myself that a pickpocket can't gain ingress, just that the average pickpocket is more likely to choose a less-challenging target.  

A final note is when seated at a restaurant or cafe, I leave the bag on, slide it up front on my lap; or if I must place it on the floor I put the chair leg or mine through the strap.

This topic was so distressing that I dreamed of purchasing cheap knock-off bags with blatant logos, filling them with a couple lead weights along with gps and radio activated explosive so that when stolen we could trigger the bomb and take out the whole nest!

Dream, I said. :) I also dream of world peace. 🙄

Edited by pico

On 11/12/2018 at 1:36 PM, willemr said:

The Thinktank Retrospective series have a ton of Velcro on them. You can't miss the noise on those bags. But when I read pickpocket I don't necessarily think of sneaky camera theft, since it large and weighs enough to notice. Those camera thefts are more likely to happen with force. In which case a proper insurance policy might be better.

I usually have something less conspicuous like an ordinary nondescript bag-pack with a camera insert or a generic messenger-bag (also with a camera insert) which I can carry in front of me.

The Think Tank Retrospective bags are what I was thinking of when suggesting Velcro. I use a couple of them and in safe places you can silence the Velcro, but these are BIG strips of Velcro so they make a loud sound when opening when locked down, and they pull the bag upwards so another tactile indicator. Zips are silent, locks can be snipped, but you can't silence noise without a very loud and equally attention seeking cough. However never being a fan of perfectly fitted bags and the idea you'd never want to carry anything other than your camera I also suggest a super lightweight rain jacket to stuff in there, they can be put in as the top layer in a bag so if a thief did reach in the first thing they'd need to negotiate is an unexpected layer of Gortex.

The noise of velcro is exactly the reason why you should not want it on your camerabags because the whole world is alerted by the velcro noise precisley at that decisive moment when you want to photograpgh that world

I removed the velcro from my Domke FX5B for exactly that reason and replaced it with two magnetic catches.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone who's had a camera (of Leica M size and weight) stolen by a pickpocket. I'd've thought they'd be more likely to drop it in surprise.

I looked at pacsafe stuff, but what I saw was just too heavy, but maybe they now have slash-resistance without steel.

26 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I looked at pacsafe stuff, but what I saw was just too heavy, but maybe they now have slash-resistance without steel.

I have a pacsafe that can hold a couple of M's or M's plus a few lenses. It is not heavy at all but well protected and with RFID protection. Not sure what model it is though.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Pacsafe Camsafe V5 hip bag (unfortunately discontinued, but one still can be lucky to find one in retail). I have two of them and ordered a third one.

- Accomodates two M bodies with lenses (even including a larger one like the apo 90)

- Alternatively accomodates a Rolleicord, or even a Hasselblad with standard lens.

- Comfortable to carry.

- Fast access to camera(s) for legitimate user.

- Cleverly hidden hooks for zips.

- In close quarters (e.g. crowded underground) you can even lock it with a small accessory lock.

- Slash protective webbing and belt.

- Fold-out raincover.

For me, all the more so in view of my orthopedic shoulder problems, this is the perfect all day walkabout bag (no affiliation whatsoever with manufacturer).

In a robbery, all of this is highly irrelevant. I will gladly throw my camera & wallet to some determined guy with a gun or knife...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!