tommonego@gmail.com

CL Update to Firmware 2.1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am doing the update of the firm ware, received the notificatiob the firmware had uploaded, so now restart the camera and let the firmware configure itself. Ok did that, after about 10-15 minutes things seemed to be getting back to normal, I started going through the menu and tried to connect to Fotos. Now about 30 minutes in, the menu has frozen. Now about an hour in the red light accessing the SD Card is still going, the menu is still locked, the camera also doesn't want to go to sleep. I don't want to turn the camera off, any suggestions? After about 3 hours I shut off the camera and it seems dead, will call B&H in the morning.

Thanks Tom

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

Not sure what B&H can do, I would contact Leica and ask them. If possible you might try to reload the software again. 

You will not cause harm by turning the camera off. And if that makes no difference, take out the battery. Camera freezes like this have occasionally happened to me with other Leicas.

On the other hand, the fact that it happened straight after a firmware upgrade suggest the two events are linked.

I believe the instructions tell you to restart the camera again AFTER the firmware has upgraded. Did you do that?

Edited by LocalHero1953

Check the flash shoe electrical contacts for dirt that can short circuit the camera. That used to happen on my T until I cleaned them.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All is good, after about 3hrs turned the camera off took the battery out, replaced it with my 2nd one, camera started up, register Firmware 2.1 so all is good. Now testing my old M-lenses. Liking this camera, but 44 mb raw files, I am questioning buying 64GB SD cards.

Thanks for all responses

I use Lexar 1000x Professional 128G SD cards. Capturing DNG only, there's space for about 2500 exposures per card. Last time I bought a pair of them, they cost me about $32 apiece, so that's pretty inexpensive storage. 

40 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

All is good, after about 3hrs turned the camera off took the battery out, replaced it with my 2nd one, camera started up, register Firmware 2.1 so all is good. Now testing my old M-lenses. Liking this camera, but 44 mb raw files, I am questioning buying 64GB SD cards.

Thanks for all responses

Good to hear. I am miffed that the numbering resets every time you update the firmware. I wish Leica would fix that.

I am disappointed that there has not been a further update to correct the 2.1 FW, which has screwed up wifi browser connection. Leica have been made aware of the problem and have acknowledged that it exists but still no correction. This was a feature I used quite a lot for quick online posts. 

Wilson

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:00 AM, wlaidlaw said:

I am disappointed that there has not been a further update to correct the 2.1 FW, which has screwed up wifi browser connection. Leica have been made aware of the problem and have acknowledged that it exists but still no correction. This was a feature I used quite a lot for quick online posts. 

Wilson

Is this problem somewhere documented? I bought a CL a week ago and I am struggling with the Fotos connection. This is my problem:

1) I create a WLAN hot spot with the CL.

2) I connect my phone to this network and can use Fotos.

3) But once I return to the camera, I am prompted with the question "Disconnect WLAN in the camera? YES or NO". Only the option YES will be accepted by the camera 😞

Is this the problem you were talking about, Wilson?

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Joachim_I:

Is this problem somewhere documented? I bought a CL a week ago and I am struggling with the Fotos connection. This is my problem:

3) But once I return to the camera, I am prompted with the question "Disconnect WLAN in the camera? YES or NO". Only the option YES will be accepted by the camera 😞

Same with my CL. Hardly usable.😫

5 hours ago, Joachim_I said:

I don't see what the problem is. Why do you want to return to the camera if you're using Fotos? 
And if you click YES, it disconnects, correctly; if you click NO, it doesn't and you can continue to use Fotos.

I think Wilson is complaining about the fact that the latest firmware no longer allows you to connect the camera to a separate wifi network, and so cannot access the camera SD card using a web browser, which you used to be able to do. It s a PITA that this facility is no longer available

4 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I don't see what the problem is. Why do you want to return to the camera if you're using Fotos? 

To take more pictures, of course. 

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

And if you click YES, it disconnects, correctly; if you click NO, it doesn't and you can continue to use Fotos.

I think Wilson is complaining about the fact that the latest firmware no longer allows you to connect the camera to a separate wifi network, and so cannot access the camera SD card using a web browser, which you used to be able to do. It s a PITA that this facility is no longer available

Thanks Paul - you have got it right. Leica are aware of the problem and have acknowledged it is a bug. 

Wilson

So, I've just updated to Firmware 2.1 and connected to the new Fotos app for the first time using my iPad Pro. All seemed o.k, was able to view a test photo', then used the Remote to take another. I closed the app and then tried again and it wouldn't connect.  It stuck 'connecting' and you can't exit the app to try again; so I turned the camera off to try again. This time it begun to connect, the camera says connected, but the app is stuck 'connecting' again.  It eventually timed out after several minutes with a "Couldn't Connect' message; the camera still states it is connected!

Camera off, try again. Camera says it is connected, App is stuck 'connecting'.  I gave up after two minutes.   I then decided to try with my iPhone.  I set up the new profile and so far it's connected each time without a problem.  Now switched back to iPad, and it worked first time!

So, I'll see how it goes, but considering the cost of the camera, this seems unacceptably 'flakey' and will be a real pain if it repeats the problem on a regular basis.

Finally. I downloaded the test image as a DNG to the iPad; can anyone tell me where this stored?  I can see Leica Fotos in iPad Storage, (App size 101.mb, Docs & Data 418kb), but I can't see where the image file is stored (over 40mb).

Thoughts and help please

Thank you

4 hours ago, Joachim_I said:

To take more pictures, of course. 

OK, so either you take photos with the Fotos app and camera wifi on, or you take photos on the camera with wifi off. Yes, it would be nice to do both at the same time.
For the moment I can manage with it as it is.

My main concerns are speed of download, reliability of connecting, and inability to join a third party wifi network.

25 minutes ago, stevegaskin said:

So, I've just updated to Firmware 2.1 and connected to the new Fotos app for the first time using my iPad Pro. All seemed o.k, was able to view a test photo', then used the Remote to take another. I closed the app and then tried again and it wouldn't connect.  It stuck 'connecting' and you can't exit the app to try again; so I turned the camera off to try again. This time it begun to connect, the camera says connected, but the app is stuck 'connecting' again.  It eventually timed out after several minutes with a "Couldn't Connect' message; the camera still states it is connected!

Camera off, try again. Camera says it is connected, App is stuck 'connecting'.  I gave up after two minutes.   I then decided to try with my iPhone.  I set up the new profile and so far it's connected each time without a problem.  Now switched back to iPad, and it worked first time!

So, I'll see how it goes, but considering the cost of the camera, this seems unacceptably 'flakey' and will be a real pain if it repeats the problem on a regular basis.

Finally. I downloaded the test image as a DNG to the iPad; can anyone tell me where this stored?  I can see Leica Fotos in iPad Storage, (App size 101.mb, Docs & Data 418kb), but I can't see where the image file is stored (over 40mb).

Thoughts and help please

Thank you

I find that connection issues like this almost always have to do with a specific device interaction where the iPhone or iPad simply has too many apps in standby mode consuming RAM and system resources. When you exit an app on iOS, the device doesn't actually close down the app and flush its memory allocations immediately, it put the app in standby mode. Over time, you can have dozens of apps in standby mode, each consuming a little bit of RAM and system resources, creating islands and blocking an app that needs to allocate a big chunk of RAM and resources at start up. The system does its best to make space automatically, but sometimes it fails to achieve what's necessary or leaves RAM and system resources in a fragile state. In most cases, using your ability to manually close down unneeded apps is enough to clear their memory allocations and allow Leica FOTOs (and other apps too ... I've had this happen with almost all large, complex apps from time to time) to launch and operate without problems. Sometimes you need to reboot the device as well, but rarely.  

When you've downloaded a photo (JPEG, DNG, or both), Leica FOTOs stores it into Photos as part of the Camera Roll album, and it is also placed into an album named Leica in Photos.

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

I find that connection issues like this almost always have to do with a specific device interaction where the iPhone or iPad simply has too many apps in standby mode consuming RAM and system resources. When you exit an app on iOS, the device doesn't actually close down the app and flush its memory allocations immediately, it put the app in standby mode. Over time, you can have dozens of apps in standby mode, each consuming a little bit of RAM and system resources, creating islands and blocking an app that needs to allocate a big chunk of RAM and resources at start up. The system does its best to make space automatically, but sometimes it fails to achieve what's necessary or leaves RAM and system resources in a fragile state. In most cases, using your ability to manually close down unneeded apps is enough to clear their memory allocations and allow Leica FOTOs (and other apps too ... I've had this happen with almost all large, complex apps from time to time) to launch and operate without problems. Sometimes you need to reboot the device as well, but rarely.  

When you've downloaded a photo (JPEG, DNG, or both), Leica FOTOs stores it into Photos as part of the Camera Roll album, and it is also placed into an album named Leica in Photos.

Thanks very much ramarren, all makes sense, didn't realise how many 'active' apps were open.