Has anyone used the SL right angle finder?

howiebrou

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone used this? How does it affect the EVF, does it dim it at all or compromise it in some other way? It doesn;t seem to allow one to look straight and 90 degrees and all in between.

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The SL (Typ 601) Right Angle Finder is available from Leica Store Miami. This product is analogous to the Angle Finder-R (14 300). But why? The SL has wi-fi. Just use a smart phone or iPad.

I devised the following display assembly for my SL. Since the SL (Typ 601) does not have an articulating LCD display, and in order to provide an adjustable viewing solution for live-view via the camera's wi-fi + phone app, I combined the Manfrotto Universal Clamp for the Smartphone with a Revo Hot Shoe to 1/4"-20 Male Post Adapter and a small Leica Ball Head (#14119) repurposed from my tabletop tripod. The combination attached to the camera's hot shoe provides a functionally adaptable smartphone display assembly. It securely holds my iPhone 7 with an Otterbox case, but note that this Universal Clamp is limited to 3.2". If one feels paranoid about the spring clamp or has a larger smartphone, choose instead the Manfrotto TwistGrip Universal SmartPhone Clamp. But all you really need to do is handhold the smartphone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have one. It comes with a sub par plastic cup that I rapidly replaced with a nikon one I had in my stock of accessories.

The build is fine.

It is not made by Leica and it takes ages to get it.

Besides that it does the job and allow close to the floor pictures or the use of a low high tripod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used mine periodically (and will continue to do so since I can't get reliable connections with FOTOS yet). Only issue I have is that the connection with the top flash slot is not secure (needs to be fast against the eyecup of the SL) so I need to use gaffer tape to keep it in place. Have tried an external monitor to HDML camera connection, but heavy and extra batteries. I was hoping that FOTOS would work better for me. Maybe will eventually. If you have an appropriate phone, would recommend trying FOTOS to see if that will work for you and save the $500.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wmcl said:

The SL (Typ 601) Right Angle Finder is available from Leica Store Miami. This product is analogous to the Angle Finder-R (14 300). But why? The SL has wi-fi. Just use a smart phone or iPad.

I devised the following display assembly for my SL. Since the SL (Typ 601) does not have an articulating LCD display, and in order to provide an adjustable viewing solution for live-view via the camera's wi-fi + phone app, I combined the Manfrotto Universal Clamp for the Smartphone with a Revo Hot Shoe to 1/4"-20 Male Post Adapter and a small Leica Ball Head (#14119) repurposed from my tabletop tripod. The combination attached to the camera's hot shoe provides a functionally adaptable smartphone display assembly. It securely holds my iPhone 7 with an Otterbox case, but note that this Universal Clamp is limited to 3.2". If one feels paranoid about the spring clamp or has a larger smartphone, choose instead the Manfrotto TwistGrip Universal SmartPhone Clamp. But all you really need to do is handhold the smartphone.

Wow. That contraption is almost the size of my underwater camera rig! A little bit too large for my tastes and it would be difficult to move in and out of a camera bag, I think! Neat set up though!

6 hours ago, kikouyou said:

I have one. It comes with a sub par plastic cup that I rapidly replaced with a nikon one I had in my stock of accessories.

The build is fine.

It is not made by Leica and it takes ages to get it.

Besides that it does the job and allow close to the floor pictures or the use of a low high tripod.

3 hours ago, rpittal said:

I have used mine periodically (and will continue to do so since I can't get reliable connections with FOTOS yet). Only issue I have is that the connection with the top flash slot is not secure (needs to be fast against the eyecup of the SL) so I need to use gaffer tape to keep it in place. Have tried an external monitor to HDML camera connection, but heavy and extra batteries. I was hoping that FOTOS would work better for me. Maybe will eventually. If you have an appropriate phone, would recommend trying FOTOS to see if that will work for you and save the $500.

Considering the price (which is astronomical) those issues don’t sound very good to me...

14 hours ago, wmcl said:

Looks good to me for use on a tripod.

The same finder is available for the S, they are slightly different in fit but close enough I can adapt it.  It is useful as an angle finder, low level or eclipse photos are easier and require less body contortion.  The 2x magnification when combined with evf magnification allows easier/more accurate manual focus.  

8 hours ago, jamesthurley said:

@wmcl Off topic, but which hand strap is that attached to your SL?  How are you finding it?

I purchased the Herringbone Heritage Hand Strap. Refer to Post #8 - https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/290305-strap-and-handgrip-with-rrs-l-plate/.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2018 at 1:05 PM, howiebrou said:

Anyone used this? How does it affect the EVF, does it dim it at all or compromise it in some other way? It doesn;t seem to allow one to look straight and 90 degrees and all in between.

Thanks

Hi,

I have used it with the SL as a field viewfinder :

35 Primo L Panavision lens on Leica SL by JM__, on Flickr

No special issue, it is a very clear straight 90 degree angle finder  with a built in x2 magnifier plus diopter.

Best, Jean-Marc.

Edited by JMF