28 elmarit wont fit the M3

stephengv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting,

I've never notice the different sizes of the release button.

Now, on my M2, same cutout as Uliwer's M3 (without collar of course on M2).

Looking at the "R" rewind lever short (as M2's).

Earlier M3s have long R lever.

My conclusion is the early M3s (untill arrival of M2) has this larger button and longer rewind lever.

While producing M2, standardising components may be the "flush screw type" (larger cutout) on M3 also.

And at same time the short R lever on M2 and M3.

(long M3 "R lever" would't fit M2, so "button M2" came first)

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

My conclusion is the early M3s (untill arrival of M2) has this larger button and longer rewind lever.

While producing M2, standardising components may be the "flush screw type" (larger cutout) on M3 also.

Luckily, it's easy to find  on the Net several M3s for sale, with s/n and good pictures… from a quick look, your hipotesis has a sense : M3s with the "deeper cutout" (I call it the "tangent cutout") are in s/n ranges when M2 was available (in the 1.xxx.xxx and some also in the 9xx.xxx , though found a 928.xxx with the "oldstyle" button.. but M2 entered just with 926.001... it's such a small part that they surely had a lot ready for M3)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

vor 3 Stunden schrieb luigi bertolotti:

If you look at Uliwer pic , its cutout is about tangent to the inner screw (and the screw itself, by any evidence, is identical in all the M3s here depicted) and the collar is cut accordingly: it is not tangent in my and other items here depicted : so, different spacing for the lens to rotate with its dot… for curiosity, I measured this length :

On Uliwer 's M3 it's surely more.    (height of the collar : 2,5 mm… Always unchanged ?)

You are right, Luigi, on my M3 (No. 1.027.xxx) the cutout almost touches the screw and accordingly the collar is also more recessed. Same design for the cutout I find on my M2 (No. 1.123.xxx). I measure 4,7mm for the cutout and when I measure the collar, at about  2,9mm the button starts to be pressed down.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb adan:

Even further research show that the collapsible Elmar also has that sloped lens mount.

And of course, the change in the cutback of the shield itself, as Luigi emphasizes - anyone know which design came first?

Well, my 1:3.5/5cm Elmar with M-mount (No. 1.185.483) already had the sloped lens mount, but the red dot wasn't elevated. It was just painted in a deepening like on the camera's release button, so it was safe not to collide even if the lens mount would not have the sloped design.  The later 1:2.8 Elmar (No. 1.633.xxx) had the same mount but with the elevated half-ball red dot.  

Edited by UliWer

On 11/11/2018 at 12:24 PM, romualdo said:

Just tried a 28mm ASPH Elmarit I on my single stroke M3 & no problems mounting the lens

After reading this further I can see that my M3 (1.057.xxx) has the cutout similar to Uli's pic, so it's not a lens issue but relates to the camera body

Edited by romualdo

• 1 year later...