bengi

WWII Dual Leica mount?

Any information on this mount? I couldn’t find anything about the image aside from it being attributed to Hanns Hobbman. Looks like quite an interesting dual camera carrying solution.

Very interesting picture, but I think it's a sort of "hand-made-special" accessory : would it be an "official" Leitz accessory it would have been surely published on some book : smart solution, anyway

I wouldn't be so sure about 'home made', that's a neat looking catch that keeps both sides of the case closed.

It's an interesting 'who, what, where, and when' question. The boots are a German 'jackboot' style but the other legs in the photo are wearing spiral puttees which in the scenario of the Axis  means Romanian or Italian troops. With the jackboot wearing soldier there 'appears' to be an extra seam of material behind his knee which suggests the reinforced panel sewn into the trousers for mounted troops. The puttee wearing soldier is also wearing German style ankle boots. The Mauser hand pistol was issued to the Wehrmacht and obviously German and Romanian and Italian troops interacted. 

On the other hand I don't think the knee boots are definitively German, the stitching for the internal 'pull on' tag isn't quite right, but dirt and scratches hides this detail a bit. So it could be a Soviet boot, and the Red Army was issued with the Mauser pistol as the model itself goes back before WW1, and some Soviet troops did also wear puttees. And while the cloth of army uniforms in the era was never great, the trousers look slightly on the Soviet 'utilitarian' side. In the context of modifying kit on the battlefield and using captured equipment the whole photograph may be needed to identify whats going on.

Edited by 250swb

Perhaps the context is solved? It's possible to find this photo on the net and it's described as an SS Kriegsberichter or 'reporter'. If you then look up the list of Kriegsberichter photographers there are two identified with the name 'Hoffman', or perhaps the 'Hobbman' the photo is credited to? Either way as a member of the SS I'd agree, I hope he shot his foot off. The 'Hoffman' is mentioned as being at Kharkov in 1943 which would put him with Romanian and Italian troops, or perhaps the legs with the puttees is a prisoner? Pure speculation however.

Edited by 250swb

1 hour ago, harryzet said:

and hanns hobbmann is hanns hubman

I've just done a search for him, and boy oh boy he knew how to switch sides quickly, goes straight from working for Nazi magazine 'Signal' to 'Stars and Stripes'!

vor 23 Stunden schrieb 250swb:

I've just done a search for him, and boy oh boy he knew how to switch sides quickly, goes straight from working for Nazi magazine 'Signal' to 'Stars and Stripes'!

surely this was not known by the americans...like wernher von brauns former career