Does SL need more megapixels?

Kamyar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I read an article about sl2 that may come in 2019. Maybe with megapixel more. I have this camera and I enjoy so much. Does the megapixel not cause color instability more? Does sl2 really need more megapilles? Is it necessary to enter the megapixel game for leica?

Yes, i feel its necessay going fwd. Having a greater ability to crop is always a good option. Leica glass is the best i have used but i will not invest in another 24mp camera going fwd. 

This maybe one of the reasons Leica had Panasonic join the L mount to provide a camera for those  who want to have it all (hopefully)

More mp should not hinder color, look at the S series camera. It produces beautiful large format prints.

only my 2 cents

Edited by Jenningsmca
  • Like 1

I have my respect for Leica keeping the full frame digital cameras at 24MP, yet Leica produces one of the best images with Leica SL lenses.

A higher resolution sensor will require faster microprocessor power and even downloading images to hard drive will become slower unless there is more processing power.

The next SL will certainly come with a higher resolution sensor, more so I figured due to the available sensors moving forward will be packed with higher resolution as industrial trend. So while keeping the novice happy,...I doubt most users can tell the difference. More so as a feel good factor to Leica customers.

• Like 2

Need and want are different things.  But surely the SL2 will follow with more MP once the ‘flagship’ S3 moves to 64MP in 2019.  

And that new S3 not only has more MP, but a new color filter array for even better color.  Early reports here confirm the superb color rendition.  One can hope that the next SL will follow suit.  Technology marches on, even if photographer skills do not.

Jeff

• Like 3

Also zur Pixeldebatte hätte ich folgendes bezusteuern. Natürlich bin ich vorbelastet, da noch zu Filmzeiten geboren.

• die Technik wird sich weiterentwickeln und Leica wird natürlich nachziehen, um im Markt zu bleiben
  • als Hobbyfotograf vergrössere ich maximal auf A2+ und da reichen 24M völlig aus. Wichtiger ist ein gunter Dynamikbereich und geringes Rauschen des Sensors (aber das haben wir ja schon)

Ansonsten hat die SL alles was man braucht oder einiges was man nie braucht. Sie erinnert an die R3 (in Form und Robustheit), und macht mit den SL Linsen hervorragende Bilder, vorausgesetzt der Benutzer kann fotografieren

1 hour ago, verwackelt said:

Yes , a lot of customers want more mp. So i have to deliver or i will lose some customers...

Interesting! For our benefit it would be wonderful if you could characterize those clients who complain of a lack of pixels. It's fine to do so. No harm. I've been in the business for fifty years and heard about every silly thing from 'art directors' and was a couple of times a magazine staff picture editor.

Let it all hang out. Tell us of the pixel obsessed!

Edited by pico

7 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

Some agencies order pictures:   "..long side of picture 8000 pixel or more....". So you need a Nikon d850 or similar or a mediumformat camera.

What agencies do that? They must be insane, or terribly ignorant.

Edited by pico

Yes People in the advert industries are a little bit insane , but they are not alone 😉.
For example, i work as a freelancer (retoucher) at postproduction studios. If i participate in a tender for a production of pictures, the size of the pictures is written in the conditions of the tender.
It is the same if you are a construction worker. The architectures bureau says what kind of Windows, doors and heating and what quality etc you have to use...
Thats why a lot of photographers rent a PhaseOne or Hasselblad for some jobs. And when they have a more and more jobs for this kind of agencies they have to buy such a camera.
Please excuse my english it is not my motheres language...

• Like 1

I'd like more megapixels, but I'd prefer (a) more dynamic range; blown highlights/skylights are a limitation (b) cleaner higher ISO (6400 is the max for me at present and, in real world scenarios -- most people's houses, 6400 is marginal) (c) OIS, which can help address (b) in the right circs.  The extra Mpx detail would be a bonus, if it allowed me to get less digital-looking pictures.

With a combo of M and SL lenses, the SL is v hard to beat ergonomically, and the choice of light and excellent or v heavy and spectacular is nice to have.

But we are getting good choices: L bodies and lenses at lower price points (next year); L APS lenses / bodies (from Leica T); Leica-like performance lenses on Canon bodies that are behind the leading edge; weaker lenses and stronger bodies from Nikon (eg, they have OIS).  (This is all for stills.)

No doubt, the rankings will change as the incumbents transition to mirrorless and the challengers show off their USPs.  

• Thanks 1

Why would I need a SL2 ? And would also buy one ...

If it had better colors - the blue and purple colors are quite weak. As in all current digital cameras that I know of. Maybe also if it had IBIS. And if it had more resolution, but a lot more like e.g. 47 MP or even more with a higher resolving sensor and/or with other methods like pixel shift.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

The Panasonic S1R will have 46 mp. I expect the SL2 to have about the same. It'll also have LENR. So I won't be able to use those pixels and will likely end up with the Panasonic.

Gordon

+1

I think once Leica licensed the L mount to a company about to produce a camera with 47 MPS, Leica was effectively committing to producing an SL with something similar. Else, the disparity between the Panasonic SIR and the SL would be too great, especially given the difference in price.

Besides, the Q2 is now "solidly" rumored to have a larger sensor. Obviously will be the same sensor as the SL2

https://leicarumors.com/category/leica-q2/

Edited by bags27

12 hours ago, Jenningsmca said:

More mp should not hinder color, look at the S series camera. It produces beautiful large format prints.

The S has a larger sensor size, therefore, it can maintain the same size pixels as the SL and end up with a larger quantity of pixels.

Leica made a decision a few years ago to use a large size pixel than the other companies use. That is why the Leica full frame sensors have half the number of pixels compared to the competition. More pixels aren't automatically better. Take the time to read how Leica's pixel are dramatically different than all others. They are larger and they use copper wiring on the sensor and they use thinner layers. Can they use the same design with smaller pixels to gain a higher pixel count? More density of pixels? Or did they redesign/ re-engineer the sensor completely? 

• Thanks 1

• jaapv changed the title to Does SL need more megapixels?