MacBook Air verses iPad Pro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

when shooting in remote areas and staying there a week or more, how do you reach your cloud? How do you charge all your Wlan devices when having seldom access to electricity?
I think this cloud based computing works only in an urban life and even then  you don´t have access to fast internet in every town. To copy a bunch of RAWs at small bandwith takes hours...
May be in your town that works, but not here and in the neighborhood and the places many landscape photographer travel.
Another point is that i do not want my data in Bezos or someone elses Serverfarm. 
But evereyone makes his computing for his taste and needs. I still do not understand that for 2000$ there is no tiny USB-C socket....
I like it simple, independent and clear...

Let me try to answer your questions;

I plan to take my iPad with me when I travel, I will charge my iPad before I go. I can take pictures with any of my cameras and upload them to my 1TB iPad either wirelessly or via a SD to CFast card reader (I have both of those). I have yet to travel to anywhere in the world that doesn't have electricity .............I recently spent 9 days in the middle of the serigitti and had electricity everyday...........but lets say in your case you travel to the middle of BF nowhere and you have no electricity. SD cards dont need electricity, and if the iPad still has juice then I cant imagine shooting 1TB of pictures and filling the iPad storage, if my iPad has run out of juice then the pictures can stay on a SD card until we get back to civilisation ............My biggest concern would be not having hot showers not bandwidth

My 2018 iPad Pro has a USB-C socket  

Neil

PS my H6D files are ~260 MB each and they loaded into the iPad like putting marmalade on toast :)

7 hours ago, verwackelt said:

I do not get it. People are ready to pay almost 1000 for an iPad without a socket for an USB-Device? And have to buy an extra gadget to connect a SSD or a Cardreader to it?

Apple makes its products smaller by requiring customers buy extra necessities. Altogether the extras cam be as large as Apple's product.

Edited by pico

2 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Is there meanwhile in iOS a filemanager or finderlike surface for better filehandling?

They have that too

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Guest

Am 19.11.2018 um 23:07 schrieb NW67:

Yesterday I came across a little device called a RavPower https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6BH_-m5-ZQ cool device that also can save you $1k on your next iPad

Neil

What i do not understand is, why buying that Ravpower device when the iPad pro have now an USB-C socket?
Wouldn´t  a simple USB3 -> USB-C Adapter be sufficient to plug an external SSD or other Hardrive?

Edited by verwackelt
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

sorry english is not my first language...
Do i understand right?: they bought this Ravpower thing to get an USB-SSD connected via WiFi although it could be connected via a simple usb adapter?

Correct. The article was wrong!

46 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

sorry english is not my first language...
Do i understand right?: they bought this Ravpower thing to get an USB-SSD connected via WiFi although it could be connected via a simple usb adapter?

Not correct. If you connect an external hard drive to the iPad via the USB-C port the iPad displays a message saying iPad cannot connect to an external hard drive, but if you do it wirelessly with the Ravpower then you can connect an external hard drive via a USB-3 socket in the Ravpower and then iPad will read and transfer the files. The Ravepower thingie also has a SD card reader built in and a LAN socket so that you can plug the thing into a hotel room LAN cable and use it as a Rooter to stream wifi

Neil

2 minutes ago, NW67 said:

Not correct. If you connect an external hard drive to the iPad via the USB-C port the iPad displays a message saying iPad cannot connect to an external hard drive, but if you do it wirelessly with the Ravpower then you can connect an external hard drive via a USB-3 socket in the Ravpower

That is so twisted!

hmmm may be i am thinking too oldschool?...
Altough the iPad has a USB-C port it will deny connect to an external USB device?
Why?
Thats totally crazy...
But what is the USB-C port for, if not able to connect to external devices?
I suspect T.Cook eats the wrong mushrooms..

Edited by verwackelt

4 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

hmmm may be i am thinking too oldschool?...
Altough the iPad has a USB-C port it will deny connect to an external USB device?
Why?
Thats totally crazy...
But what is the USB-C port for, if not able to connect to external devices?
I suspect T.Cook eats the wrong mushrooms..

The USB-C port is for charging the iPad, attaching a SD or Cfast card reader its also used to charge your iPhone or Apple watch. There is a apple USB-C to USB-3 cable that I guess can be used for attaching other USB-3 devices but not hard drives

Neil

Ok, thank you for that clarification.
So better i stay to "oldschool" computers...
I do not understand Apples hardwarestrategy anymore. I use Macs since 1992 and Photoshop since V 2.0.
But since Apple decided to make all things "easier" by introducing this "iPolitics" they make all worse.
I feel Apple think we are all retarded persons that needs a kind of nanny technology.
So i withdraw my Post #49....

Edited by verwackelt

22 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

[...] So better i stay to "oldschool" computers...
I do not understand Apples hardwarestrategy anymore. I use Macs since 1992 and Photoshop since V 2.0.

What are you speaking of?  Is it a more transparent view of i devices file systems?

Edited by pico