MacBook Air verses iPad Pro

On 11/19/2018 at 3:22 PM, otto.f said:

Thanks for the tip, didn’t know that it was there for the iPad, but on my Mac I chose for Luminar instead of Affinity because Luminar worked more intuitive for me

One doesn't exlude the other... Affinity is more powerful and a full fledged Photoshop replacement, whereas Luminar looks to me more like a Lightroom replacement.

FYI Serif (Affinity's company) is doing a black friday sale if you want to grab the app at a discounted price.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been a while but tomorrow I will go and pick up a new 12.9 iPad Pro (256MB)

i will get the pencil but in too minds about the keyboard........... anyone using there iPad Pro without a keyboard?

neil

On the main topic, I've been using an iPad Pro 12.9" as my only personal computer for a month now, photo processing included. The experiment has been a success although there are places where things could be improved. In particular neither Apple Photos (with RAW Power as the editor) nor Lightroom have proper smart folders which I've always relied upon to organise images. Apart from that (I do very little outside of Lightroom on the Mac), I have been able to do everything that I want and more.

One positive has been that the pencil makes moving sliders accurately much easier.

On 11/19/2018 at 4:49 PM, NW67 said:

I just ordered one on Amazon and will get the 12.9 iPad Pro from KL with the 256GB hard drive :):) That will be my new travel companion

One of the less known things about the 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch (and likely 12.9 inch as well) is that the 64, 128, 256, and 512 Gbyte models have 4G RAM, where the 1T model has 6G RAM. The additional RAM improves raw processing speed and flexibility, and is why the 1T storage model costs a bit more, proportionately, than the smaller storage models. 

I updated my iPad Pro 9.7 to a 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch with 1T storage. It does a fantastic job of processing raw files from my Leica CL, M-D, iPhone 8 Plus, etc. 

BTW: Photos will process raw files too. I often transfer in a bunch of M-D photos. Open them with Photos, tap Edit, make any change, and Photos renders them to full resolution JPEGs. Similarly SnapSeed processes raw files: when you open a raw file with it, there's an additional processing tool for raw parameters. I'm using Photos, RAW Power, SnapSeed, and Affinity Photo on my iPP11 ... they all do an excellent job, with different features. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ramarren said:

One of the less known things about the 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch (and likely 12.9 inch as well) is that the 64, 128, 256, and 512 Gbyte models have 4G RAM, where the 1T model has 6G RAM. The additional RAM improves raw processing speed and flexibility, and is why the 1T storage model costs a bit more, proportionately, than the smaller storage models. 

I updated my iPad Pro 9.7 to a 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch with 1T storage. It does a fantastic job of processing raw files from my Leica CL, M-D, iPhone 8 Plus, etc. 

BTW: Photos will process raw files too. I often transfer in a bunch of M-D photos. Open them with Photos, tap Edit, make any change, and Photos renders them to full resolution JPEGs. Similarly SnapSeed processes raw files: when you open a raw file with it, there's an additional processing tool for raw parameters. I'm using Photos, RAW Power, SnapSeed, and Affinity Photo on my iPP11 ... they all do an excellent job, with different features. 

Ian

My initial thought was to get the 1T model but after reviewing and buying the 

I decided to get the 256GB model instead. But after reading your post and reading this blog again http://austinmann.com/trek/ipad-pro-photographer-iceland I may just get myself the 1T model after all ................if they have stock??

Neil

Just now, ramarren said:

I'm happy I spent the extra money. The benefit is noticeable and significant, to me. 

Thanks for the feedback Ian..........Me to I will wait and get the 1TB model, especially now that PScc will be available on iPad in the New Year

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Not my Sunday best but here are a few M10 pictures taken yesterday and prosesed 100% on my new iPad Pro using Affinity Photo. It’s going to take some time to get used to it but I think I could be onto a winner here.........just need to find a comfortable position to rest the iPad while sitting on the sofa 😊😊

Neil

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Am 19.11.2018 um 23:07 schrieb NW67:

Yesterday I came across a little device called a RavPower https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6BH_-m5-ZQ cool device that also can save you $1k on your next iPad

Neil

I do not get it. People are ready to pay almost 1000 for an iPad without a socket for an USB-Device? And have to buy an extra gadget to connect a SSD or a Cardreader to it?
I would feel fooled by apple....

• Thanks 1

says who? Tim Cook? An we have to obey him?
Do you throw all USB-sticks, SSDs etc in trashcan? just because they have a plug? Is Wlan faster than USB3 or Thunderbolt? Not yet.
What about security? Every cableless device can be hacked much easier...
So long the majority of data storage devices has to be connected with a cable i will not buy tablets or laptops without sockets.
Sorry, but Tim Cook would not loose his face if he would place at least one socket on an iDevice…

Do you keep an index of what’s on which usb stick or external disk? Do you have off-site backups of them? Any backup of them? Do you virus scan them before mounting them? Switch on write lock before giving one to someone else to copy a file?

6 hours ago, verwackelt said:

I do not get it. People are ready to pay almost 1000 for an iPad without a socket for an USB-Device? And have to buy an extra gadget to connect a SSD or a Cardreader to it?
I would feel fooled by apple....

I actually paid $2000 for my iPad with 1TB storage but more to the point 6 Megapixels of RAM (This will certainly help when Adobe release Photoshop for iPad later this year). My initial plan was to have the 256 GB iPad with the 

device to save $$$$ but at the end of the day I feel the 6GB of RAM will pay for itself later. As for plugging stuff into the iPad I really don't see the need when there are Clouds out there and internet speeds of 500+ MBS. My lightroom plan has 1TB of Cloud storage and my iCloud account has 2TB of storage and I have only used a minute postion of that.

Neil

when shooting in remote areas and staying there a week or more, how do you reach your cloud? How do you charge all your Wlan devices when having seldom access to electricity?
I think this cloud based computing works only in an urban life and even then  you don´t have access to fast internet in every town. To copy a bunch of RAWs at small bandwith takes hours...
May be in your town that works, but not here and in the neighborhood and the places many landscape photographer travel.
Another point is that i do not want my data in Bezos or someone elses Serverfarm. 
But evereyone makes his computing for his taste and needs. I still do not understand that for 2000$ there is no tiny USB-C socket....
I like it simple, independent and clear...

• Like 1