MacBook Air verses iPad Pro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm in the market for a new travel companion i.e. laptop. I had kind of made my mind up on the new 2018 MBA but noticed someone on here is using a iPad Pro for for DNG processing........I currently have a 2015 MacBook Pro but nearly throw up everytime I pack it for traveling....... getting old I guess.

Thoughts and comments much appreciated 

Neil

Another thought. If I ended up getting the MBA Is it necessary to get the one with 1.5TB SSD and 16 GB of memory or as its a travel thing could I get away with 128 SSD and 8 GB of ram?

Neil

Edited by Guest

Some thoughts while I am unsuccessfully trying to sleep:

If you use Lightroom then an iPad is a perfectly acceptable travel companion for your camera. Photoshop should also be available on iOS next year. Importing pictures isn’t smooth, you have to import them to the photos app which is slow and then import them to Lightroom. When you get back home you may want to move the pictures from adobe cloud to your Mac but this is easier than merging the laptop catalogue with the desktop catalogue.

Photos didn’t import DNG if a jpeg was also available on the camera, not sure if this is still an issue.

Other than Lightroom there is the Leica Foto app; I don’t know how that fits in.

128GB SSD is not enough for laptop or iPad. A new iPad Pro has been released this month.

Guest Nowhereman

I have an MBA 2015 as well. According to the review in WIRED, the resolution of the new MBA is great but the color gamut is not as good:

The display on the new MacBook Air is what stands out most. The old laptop had an LED-backlit, 13.3-inch glossy display with a resolution of 1,440 by 900 pixels and a pixel density just under 128 pixels per inch. Its silver bezels matched the rest of the wedge. The new Air has a 13.3-inch "Retina" display, with four times as many pixels and black bezels that are much slimmer...The more expensive MacBook Pro has a Retina display, too. There is a difference between the two screens: the display on the MacBook Pros has a wider color gamut than the display on the new Air, which is something that multimedia professionals who edit photos and videos care about.

Elsewhere, I read that the black tones are not as black: so, the decision on the new MBA really hinges on how seriously you want to process images when traveling.

Neil - I find my 2017 MBA (8Gb & 256Gb SSD) handles LR & PS very well during our Spring and autumn sojourns in Spain. After importing the dng's and jpg's from whatever camera, I leave the files on the cameras cards as one form of backup and I also back-up the LR/PS processed files to a 1Tb Buffalo USB3 drive.  Works for me :)

PS - Whilst waiting for the arrival of a new iMac 21.5" I'm using the MBA for everything and have not run into any limits resource-wise. Although it helps that my humungous main LR catalogue and all of my photos are on a La Cie 2Tb Thunderbolt 2 drive.

Edited by Keith (M)
PS added.

For the past three long trips, I've used the iPad Pro 9.7 inch with SnapSeed and Affinity Photo as my image processing system for the duration of the trip. It's far smaller and lighter than the MacBook Air, the keyboard cover works very well for me (and is impervious to spills and such at cafes, etc), and the image results out of it are just terrific. With a Nitecore USB charger for the camera batteries, it means I carry two Apple iPad Pro chargers (or one third party 2.1A charger with three ports) and a single plug adapter to power and charge ALL my devices, cutting down on the number of cables and other paraphernalia by a lot. It's small enough (as is the latest 10" model) to fit in my usual travel bag when I want to have it with me. 

I find the iPad Pro so useful and so compelling for nearly all my mobile computing needs that I sold my MacBook Air. I run only a desktop macOS system now, all my mobile computing is on the iPad Pro or iPhone 8 Plus. 

(Oh yes: with CL I can pull raw files over easily with the Leica FOTOS app. With both the M-D and the CL, I use the Lightning->SD Card cable ... works great. And I can output the files to my iCloud folder directory when I have fast enough network to access them directly from the macOS system when I get back to my desk.)

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for all the replies guys, I have been traveling so this is my first chance to reply. Today I will go to the Apple shop here in Kuala Lumpur and have a play with the new iPad pro and see how it feels in my hands. Has anyone ever tried uploading .fff (3F Hasselblad files)? 

Guest Nowhereman

@NW67 - I wouldn't argue with the colors of the Iceland pictures in your link, but wonder how the color gamut of the new iPad pro compares to that of the new MBA and of the MacBook Pro.

1 minute ago, Nowhereman said:

@NW67 - I wouldn't argue with the colors of the Iceland pictures in your link, but wonder how the color gamut of the new iPad pro compares to that of the new MBA and of the MacBook Pro.

My thinking is to use the iPad Pro for travel, using it for tethering when shooting models and surfing the images in the hotel room or on a plane. At the end of the day I would always do the serious work in PScc on my MacPro when I get home.

Neil

2 hours ago, Exodies said:

You will still need a MAC for printing. Where will the mobile solution to that come from? Improvements to AirPrint? An Epson app? Adobe app?

Bill

My plan will be to print when I get home via Epson P807 and MacPro. If I get the iPad No launch in Malaysia until late December January 2019 so time to stew😁😁

7 hours ago, Exodies said:

You will still need a MAC for printing. Where will the mobile solution to that come from? Improvements to AirPrint? An Epson app? Adobe app?

At most, what I want when I'm traveling is a little printer that would allow me to make Polaroid like hard copy of photos I make on the way so I can give them to the people who are in the photos. I think there are a half dozen such devices available that work fine with my iPad and iPhone; the one I have at present is the Impossible Instant Lab (which I need to test with my iPhone 8 Plus ... :)). Larger prints I make when I get home.

26 minutes ago, ramarren said:

At most, what I want when I'm traveling is a little printer that would allow me to make Polaroid like hard copy of photos I make on the way so I can give them to the people who are in the photos. I think there are a half dozen such devices available that work fine with my iPad and iPhone; the one I have at present is the Impossible Instant Lab (which I need to test with my iPhone 8 Plus ... :)). Larger prints I make when I get home.

The little Sprocket promotes social contact. People love it!

My biggest issue with travel devices is that they don't have enough internal storage. I've got a 64GB card in the camera, and I'm likely to fill it in a week. Unless I keep a 128GB computer completely cleaned out, there's probably not enough disc space. I use Toshiba FlashAir cards in my M240 and just wifi my favorite shots over to my phone, then post those to social media while traveling. I save all the mass downloading and editing until I get home.

I own an iPad Pro but apart from the power and storage I do not find an iPad fit enough yet for photo processing at all. The app’s for pp just give unsufficient information about the files and give not enough control over your endproduct. 

Edited by otto.f

On 11/14/2018 at 5:47 PM, otto.f said:

I own an iPad Pro but apart from the power and storage I do not find an iPad fit enough yet for photo processing at all. The app’s for pp just give unsufficient information about the files and give not enough control over your endproduct. 

Even Affinity?

• Thanks 1