Possible bug in Firmware with Mohave?

Brian C in Az

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My SL arrived yesterday and while charging the battery, I downloaded FW v3.3 and v3.2. I loaded them on separate cards and planned to do the v3.2 update first and then the v3.3. I couldn't find any documentation that said whether or not you can go straight from v3.1 to v3.3, so I decided to do it in 2 steps. I followed the instructions exactly, but the camera didn't recognize update v3.2. I removed that card and inserted the card with v3.3 and turned on the camera. Again it said no firmware found. 

Since it was 4:00, I decided to go shoot some shots and figure out the firmware later. 

When I returned, I decided to reformat the cards after transferring the images to an external drive and again downloaded both versions. I ended up with the same results.

This morning I thought that maybe it could be a Mac OS issue, so I used an older MBPro with Yosemite 10.10.5. 

I again reformatted the cards and downloaded the update on the older OS. The camera immediately recognized the firmware and updated.

I can only guess that the new Mohave OS has something wrong, unless it is an issue with the Apple Thunderbolt3 to USB dongle.

Either way, if you have a new Mac with Mohave and TB3, you may have to use an older OS with USB.

You don't have to install any firmware updates that you have skipped. The file is big enough that it probably replaces everything instead of updating selected files.

I had the same issue as you, but thought nothing of it until now.

I turned-on the SL with the new firmware loaded on the SD card. It didn't ask to update, so I went to the menu, selected firmware, and then it asked me if I wanted to update.

This has nothing to do with your Mac OS version. I don't own a Mac. Perhaps the SL doesn't check for firmware updates every time?

I had manually scrolled through the camera menu and selected update firmware. The camera couldn't read the file on the card that was downloaded on a new Mac with OS Mohave.

After 2 attempts, I decided to try downloading the firmware (3rd download) on an older Mac with OS 10.10; Yosemite. 

That file was recognized and the camera then updated per the instructions page.