R5 & 60mm Macro Elmarit-R

Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a few shots left on a roll of Tri-X, so thought I would try out the Macro Elmarit on my R5.  I have used the lens before - but with M240 and a Sony A6500 (with auto-focus & IBIS). My goodness, trying the achieve focus with the small split-image area on the R5 was not easy!  Anyway, two results below show that with a lot of patience (usually in short supply with me...) reasonably sharp results can be achieved. Doubt that I'll repeat the exercise though!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I tend to use the Macro-Elmarit 60 mm lens mostly as a standard lens, in lieu of for example a Summicron 50 mm, but with extended macro capabilities. Image quality throughout the entire focusing range is impeccable, and no lens hood is needed, too, thanks to the deeply recessed front element.

Cheers, Andy

• Like 1

I use the 60 as standard lens preferentially over my cron 50 (version II) for its better sharpness and nicer colour rendering. The close-range capabilities are an added bonus. For "real" macro work you need additional gear or switch to APO 100 . I see your point about getting the right focus for macro work. Have you tried the R-series angle viewer with magnification ?

Thomas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

49 minutes ago, T.E. said:

For "real" macro work you need additional gear or switch to APO 100 . I see your point about getting the right focus for macro work. Have you tried the R-series angle viewer with magnification ?

I have the Macro Adaptor-R which with the 60mm meets my modest, occasional macro needs.  But in these cases I would put them on either my M240 or the A6500 (where the IBIS really comes into its own).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As an analog M user I like to play around with Visoflex, bellows and various lenses. But when I found the Marco-Elmarit-R 60mm and a Leica R4, both for good prices, I took them and now I love working with the R4 and the 60mm lens for macro shots. The light meter is wonderful and it is all so easy to work with! A beautiful lens and I have come to like the R4 a lot as well.

Lex

I don't really understand the notion that it is difficult to focus, or rather that it is any more difficult to focus, when using high magnification. Seems simple to me: I ignore the focus aids and use the ground glass portion of the viewfinder screen. Seems very easy, even with the Macro Adapter-R tube fitted and the R6.2 body. ??