TL2 and Fotos woes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

I got a chance to try the TL2 and maybe keep it. The form, the handling and interface are absolutely lovely. Its gives me pleasure beyond the pleasure of

functionality. And the shutter release sound! And the rendering at 6400 ISO is remarkable (i've had worse experience on the CL). With the praises out of the way,

my woes begin with what i think is a slower processor hiding inside. Why?

1) The visoflex sometimes tears and the switching from viso to screen takes a second sometimes. I've rarely had tearing with the M10.

2) Fotos which has been nothing short for reliable for the CL and the M10, has been achingly slow to transfer/preview pictures to the ipad. So slow, I had to give up.

Connections were reliable but everything was impossible to use.

3) Definitely picking up focus is a second or two (and sometimes  requires many attempts) slower than CL. I guess it all depends on subject matter but in my first day shooting the

same things i usually do (two year old moving son), it's been slower. This is less of an issue for me.

I so wish Leica would elevate the TL2s performance  - it needs more love.

But why post without a picture?

Happy Diwali . TL2,35mm 1.4 TL, 6400 ISO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by saptarshi
  • Like 3

Experiences downloading to the Fotos app seem to vary unpredictably. I found downloading to the SL and CL to be slow, but to the TL2 no worse. Others have found downloading to SL and CL to be acceptably quick. I wonder how much depends on the phone (android in my case).

Yes, the CL's AF is slicker than the TL2, and the CL's EVF is much better than the visoflex. I suspect its a hardware generational difference. The TL3 will be better than the CL, leading to calls for the latter to get better - thus it has always been.😉

• 3 weeks later...

Remote is very nice. Flawless so far.

uploading is extremely slow on iPad Air 2 and iPhone X. 40 photos about 25% completed in 30 minutes. I gave up. 

Plugged in the iPad card reader and transferred all 40 images in 10 minutes. For me, this is a better way to go until the app gets better at transfer.

On 11/7/2018 at 4:17 PM, saptarshi said:

Hello

I got a chance to try the TL2 and maybe keep it. The form, the handling and interface are absolutely lovely. Its gives me pleasure beyond the pleasure of

functionality. And the shutter release sound! And the rendering at 6400 ISO is remarkable (i've had worse experience on the CL). With the praises out of the way,

my woes begin with what i think is a slower processor hiding inside. Why?

1) The visoflex sometimes tears and the switching from viso to screen takes a second sometimes. I've rarely had tearing with the M10.

2) Fotos which has been nothing short for reliable for the CL and the M10, has been achingly slow to transfer/preview pictures to the ipad. So slow, I had to give up.

Connections were reliable but everything was impossible to use.

3) Definitely picking up focus is a second or two (and sometimes  requires many attempts) slower than CL. I guess it all depends on subject matter but in my first day shooting the

same things i usually do (two year old moving son), it's been slower. This is less of an issue for me.

I so wish Leica would elevate the TL2s performance  - it needs more love.

But why post without a picture?

Happy Diwali . TL2,35mm 1.4 TL, 6400 ISO

+1

I think the TL line can be a big winner, if Leica will figure out how to include an EVF and improve AF speed. A larger sensor can come with time as the rest of the sensors improve, but the biggest limitations are the EVF and AF speed.  Rob

Edited by ropo54

26 minutes ago, ropo54 said:

+1

I think the TL line can be a big winner, if Leica will figure out how to include an EVF and improve AF speed. A larger sensor can come with time as the rest of the sensors improve, but the biggest limitations are the EVF and AF speed.  Rob

Isn't that the CL? :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

Isn't that the CL? :p

Not unless they give the CL the body of the TL, and there are plenty of metaphors to describe the appeal of a "great body". :) 

Clicking a photo on the TL is sublime!

Edited by ropo54

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

I've learnt over the years that a great body is no guarantee for a lasting - or even satisfactory- relationship. The first click may be sublime - but what about the following ones?

Good retort.:)

But, we all know that the bodies don't last (its the lenses that are forever!) so might as well enjoy them for as many "clicks" as we can.

• Like 1