"Budget" 35mm Lens

JuveFC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First post! I have filled my head with so much information that i have a headache! I know this topic has been discussed for ages.

I'm a commercial photographer who works with digital for a living. I've been shooting film since i was 10 (Olympus OM-1 in 1986) and continue to do so today. I have been finally able to afford the camera i have wanted since i was a kid which is a Leica M6. That doesn't leave my much room for a lens (I have a wife). 

When shooting film, i generally shoot street but 40% of the time it is in low light (i even do some indoor stuff with the kids). 

Resolution is somewhat important to me. The Zeiss 35mm f2.8 Biogon was an option but at 2.8 i am hesitating but i prefer a more vintage look. The Voigtlanders 35mm's seem to be hit in miss...you find reviews on both sides of the fence. I was looking at the SUMMICRON-M 35mm f/2 both the V1 and V2. Those are the only two i can find in my price range but i still see those selling for $1000USD. I don't mind a little character but not at the expense of resolution wide open. 

Can you guys let me know your opinions or if you guys can suggest something else. Thanks

ps: I still can't believe i'm an owner of a Leica. 

Edited by JuveFC
  • Like 1

Looking for a used 1:2.5/35mm Summarit might be the best option. The optics are the same as with the current 1:2,4 version - and not worse than a Summicron asph. 

Then there is the 1:2.8/35mm Summaron, which is quite good for its age of about 50 years now.

Anything named Summicron with 35mm will cost you much more than 1000,-USD, the first version nearer to 2000,- than to 1000,-.

Thanks for the help. After looking at pictures, reviews etc the one i am really leaning towards is the SUMMICRON-M 35mm f/2 V1 

Does anyone have real world experience with this lens? 

I also forgot to mention that i am not into heavier/bigger lenses like the Biogon F2. 

I doubt that you will miss something quality-wise when using the Voigtländer lenses on film. Especially in relation to price, they are really good. I own the 28/3.5 and the 50/2.5 and both are nice, well-made gems.

I also own a 35/2.5 (the screw-mount version), but have not yet enough experience to comment, but have heard mainly good things about it (and its M-mount successor). Only issue with the Voigtländer lenses is that they are somewhat hard to find used (because of their good value for the money).

Another option I do not have experience with is the 35mm / f1.7 by Voigtländer. It is around 500€ used and seems to be of good optical quality.

Lars

I really loved the Summaron 2.8/35, which I used for many years. Later in the early 2000s I tried the 35 Summicron and Summilux, but for my tastes they were too sharp. After going without a 35 for about 5 years I decided to dip my toe back in the water at a lower price point and got a VC 35/2.5 which I can use on my LTM and M bodies, and in spite of its sharpness compared to the Summaron, it delivers an image suitable for my needs, and it is small enough to tuck mounted on the camera bodies into my pockets. Purportedly the 1.7 is even greater, but larger in size. If you can get your hands on any in a camera shop (I know they may be hard to find these days), the ergonomics might outweigh the cost. Image-wise unless you're doing pro work and looking for a specific rendering, doing mostly low light work, or extreme enlargements, any should do the job for you.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, JuveFC said:

Thanks for the help. After looking at pictures, reviews etc the one i am really leaning towards is the SUMMICRON-M 35mm f/2 V1 

I also forgot to mention that i am not into heavier/bigger lenses like the Biogon F2. 

Link to Summicron 35mm I (Wiki)

I own and use some 35mm for M in Summilux/Summicron/Summaron/other brands also 😇.

I use Summicron 35mm version I for a while (first years in "M3" model then "M2" model, I still use them ) in film and digital M.

I use them when I think their characters would serve the pictures.

This Summicron has plenty of characters but (for me) not an all-round-one-lens-use.

To make things short, now I prefer in M mount the Summarit-M 2.5/35mm ( this Wiki link ) that is small/light/not too expensive and gives very nice results even full open.

7 minutes ago, spydrxx said:

I really loved the Summaron 2.8/35, which I used for many years. Later in the early 2000s I tried the 35 Summicron and Summilux, but for my tastes they were too sharp. After going without a 35 for about 5 years I decided to dip my toe back in the water at a lower price point and got a VC 35/2.5 which I can use on my LTM and M bodies, and in spite of its sharpness compared to the Summaron, it delivers an image suitable for my needs, and it is small enough to tuck mounted on the camera bodies into my pockets. Purportedly the 1.7 is even greater, but larger in size. If you can get your hands on any in a camera shop (I know they may be hard to find these days), the ergonomics might outweigh the cost. Image-wise unless you're doing pro work and looking for a specific rendering, doing mostly low light work, or extreme enlargements, any should do the job for you.

Ya the 1.7 is too big for my tastes. I really like to travel small and light when i'm walking around. Also i do about 40% of my shooting in low light so i'd prefer an f2 and under. From the looks of it, i might try looking for a VC 35/2.5. Should i be looking for an older model because from my research, the newer ones don't get the best reviews. 

vor 27 Minuten schrieb JuveFC:

Yes, the first version is rather soft wide open, you cannot expect contrast to be as defined as with a modern lens,  though of course the lens renders very pleasantly on film and also with digital M caneras. Like with all 35mm Summicrons flare can be problem, though not exceedingly so.

Before buying you should take a chance to inspect the condition of the glass - the lens will be 50 to 60 years old. In really good condition you won‘t find anything for less than the prices I mentioned above.

Not sure if i am able to post links to sites selling lenses but this is one i had my eyes on. Prices are in Canadian so that looks to be $1050USD / 930 Euros. That also looks like a V3 from the serial number

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/ville-de-montreal/leica-35mm-f2-summicron-m-lens/1394854337

BTW that guy is a known Leica/Rangefinder enthusiast in my area. Not just some random guy. 

Edited by JuveFC

3 minutes ago, JuveFC said:

Not sure if i am able to post links to sites selling lenses but this is one i had my eyes on. Prices are in Canadian so that looks to be $1050USD / 930 Euros. That also looks like a V3 from the serial number

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/ville-de-montreal/leica-35mm-f2-summicron-m-lens/1394854337

BTW that guy is a known Leica/Rangefinder enthusiast in my area. Not just some random guy. 

The V3 is probably the best buy in terms of price, if one really wants a Leica lens.

P.S. : nice name, yours… W JUVE B)

4 minutes ago, JuveFC said:

Yes, this is V3 Summicron.

But for me it's old ("used" ? ).

JuveFC,

Why don't you try to obtain informations on newer Summarit-M 35mm lines (f/2.4 or f/2.5 same optical quality) for me best buy.

Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 can be bought second hand easily.

As people "upgrade" to more expensive Summicron/Summilux, you may find one in used market very often.

My Summarit-M 2.5/35mm was at 850€ sh like new = reason that I bought it ☺️ last year and love it now.

Edited by a.noctilux

15 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 can be bought second hand easily.

As people "upgrade" to more expensive Summicron/Summilux, you may find one in used market very often.

My Summarit-M 2.5/35mm was at 850€ sh like new = reason that I bought it ☺️ last year and love it now.

Oh ya for sure..what i meant is that i don't mind buying older lenses. I guess i'll have to keep researching. I am trying to stick with Leica since i am pretty much going to run with only one lens. From the looks of it and from my budget, it is either going to be an older Summicron 2/35mm v1, 2 or 3 and the Summarit 2.5/35mm. Time to research these two again. 

2 minutes ago, microview said:

If 40mm is acceptable the new Voigtländer 40 1.2 VM is a very good lens and obviously very fast (review at Macfilos com or Steve Huff) for a low outlay. 

This is my first rangefinder ( i own over 15 slr's) so i'd like to stick with 35mm but i'll take a look at the 40 1.2

IMHO the best 'bang for the buck' is the Voigtlander Skopar 35mm f2.5. A compact and light lens with excellent optical quality. I've had a few of the VC's and never a problem with them.

If buying a vintage Leica lens then you really need to make sure you buy one that's not hazy, or suffering from over cleaning.

A 'happy medium' might be the Summarit, but I do wonder if you'd notice any difference in real world use between that and a Skopar. I understand the Zeiss are great but also rather high contrast lenses.

Buy a decent condition used example of any and you really won't go wrong, you can sell and 'upgrade' later at no loss.