Best Cable Release?

kuad82001

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There was discussion about  cable releases causing damage to the release thread on some M cameras, a couple of years ago.

Nikon cable releases were considered the best thread and most competent.  I purchased one, and it is very good even though i have a handful from previous job-lots.

I do like the setup on the M cameras though, and use it often. It is a well thought-out switch.

When one needs to catch the moment, then a cable release is essential.

Edited by david strachan

• 1 year later...

Is this an artifact from using a cable release? It showed up on multiple exposures. I am using an M10 Monochrom with a 6-second exposure. What you see is a full resolution crop of an airplane at night flying from right to left, with blinking lights. There is a squiggle at the beginning of the exposure. Slight, but definite. The camera is on a sturdy tripod. I was disappointed to see what I interpret to be reaction movement from the shutter initiation using a cable release. I haven't yet tried a self timer exposure. So, the questions are, do you agree that it is an artifact from using a cable release, is it a crummy cable release (would a more expensive one somehow do a better job), is there any reaction movement when firing using the self timer, or any other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, Gerbs said:

Is this an artifact from using a cable release? It showed up on multiple exposures. I am using an M10 Monochrom with a 6-second exposure. What you see is a full resolution crop of an airplane at night flying from right to left, with blinking lights. There is a squiggle at the beginning of the exposure. Slight, but definite. The camera is on a sturdy tripod. I was disappointed to see what I interpret to be reaction movement from the shutter initiation using a cable release. I haven't yet tried a self timer exposure. So, the questions are, do you agree that it is an artifact from using a cable release, is it a crummy cable release (would a more expensive one somehow do a better job), is there any reaction movement when firing using the self timer, or any other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance

I think  any cable release would have that effect.  This looks like a highly magnified crop, even at 6 seconds you can see the star movement.  Best method is the self timer.  Thanks for sharing.

11 minutes ago, Likaleica said:

I think  any cable release would have that effect.  This looks like a highly magnified crop, even at 6 seconds you can see the star movement.  Best method is the self timer.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm thinking that the "star movement" is actually the cable release movement, but since the stars aren't moving (relatively) as fast as the plane, it looks much different. I had one exposure that was a bit worse, and the stars were too. Most of the exposures were about like this. As far as a "magnified crop", it is just the full resolution from the camera, and looks about the same size at 100% in Photoshop, and on the forum. Shot with a 75mm lens.

I'm tempted to try the same type of image with a Nikon, and see if using a cable release does the same thing. It has a smaller number of pixels though, so the squiggle would be smaller.

Edit: most of the reason I think the apparent star movement is the release is that the stars have "shadows" where star movement would make the stars bars instead of discs, with even illumination along the bar.

Edited by Gerbs
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, kuad82001 said:

Seems that the 10'' would be too short?

I love the shorter cable releases as they fit in the bag well.  I do prefer ones with good screws at the top for 'B' shutter speeds.  Unless you are shooting from a spot much higher or lower than you, a short cable release is long enough to avoid camera shake.

On 4/28/2020 at 10:14 AM, Gerbs said:

I've shot some with the stars and moon.  Several things impact what you see.  First, a 6 second exposure using a telephoto lens would cause movement in the stars whereas with a wider lens it would not.  You do point out that the plane also moves, but consider this.  The slight budge from the cable release should dampen very quickly and over six seconds there should not be enough light entering the camera to show visible shake.  It would kind of be like waving your hand in front of the lens during a six second exposure, you won't see it.  I think more likely is a potential for a) a tripod that is sturdy, but maybe not sturdy enough for long exposures, b) tripod on a surface that vibrates - wooden deck is bad for that, c) an overexposure where the stars are so bright that any breeze or other slight movement is magnified (try shortening exposure time from 6 to 4 or 3 seconds and see if you still get enough light) or d) a lens too long for 6 seconds (try a wider lens, or shorter shutter speed).  I actually take similar images by carefully pressing the shutter without a cable and get them as sharp as with a cable.

I also use a tripod that is rated for 40 pounds or more with the M, SL and S (Gitzo Systematic Series 3) and use the long spikes in the sand or dirt.  I have a smaller more compact Gitzo, and it works fine for quick exposures, but not long ones. 

One other thought as I write this, it may be possible your cable release extends further than necessary to trip the shutter and you are pressing it trying to press all the way in, so when it trips the shutter you are still trying to press, causing shake?

Best of luck!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, davidmknoble said:

One other thought as I write this, it may be possible your cable release extends further than necessary to trip the shutter and you are pressing it trying to press all the way in, so when it trips the shutter you are still trying to press, causing shake?

Best of luck!

Oooooo, good thoughts, but the last one about my pressing too far/long/hard is perhaps right on target for the conditions and results I experienced. There was that wiggle in the plane's flight path, which meant that ****something**** was moving besides the earth's rotation, and since it was highly similar to other shots, I don't think it was the ground moving the tripod. Measuring the disturbance in the force (so to speak, LOL), using a scale on the screen and algebra, things are smooth until 0.13 seconds into the exposure, at which time a disturbance happens for 0.28 seconds. The beauty of the plane's path is that you can roughly quantify all that. The fact that there is no disturbance for a teeny bit goes right along with your excess travel/enthusiasm on my part theory.

I will have to try a very gradual cable release push as well as the self timer... all while photographing a plane. What fun.

PS: I do think there is ***some*** Earth rotation visible in the shot, for sure.

• Like 1

Got out last night, but it was a bit later, and I didn't see any airplanes. I took a few pictures. Fascinating how bright the partial Moon is compared to stars! I took about 8 frames reducing the light coming in until I got it to be not blown out. Anyway, I aimed the camera high in the sky and took a few shots. Interestingly, and amusingly, enough the cloth cover on one of my cable releases gave out, forgivable after 40 years. I did happen to catch a satellite in the last frame, which was triggered with the self timer, and had no shake. I did have a few that were triggered otherwise that seemed to be still, but I'll reserve more thoughts until I can catch another plane or satellite. But the good news is, that the self timed shutter release doesn't cause any noticeable shake! As one would think, and hope.

The crop I've attached is from the edge of the frame, the bottom edge of the crop IS the bottom edge of the frame. Blacks were brought up, and then levels adjusted to bring out the very faint track of the satellite. So this isn't an accurate representation of anything but the straight line movement of the satellite captured with zero wiggles, squiggles, quavers, or disturbances in the force. You may have to bring yourself in close to the monitor to see the track...

Edited by Gerbs
  • Like 1