Leica Q-P released!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica introduces the Leica Q-P, another Leica Q compact camera with a full-frame sensor. The technical specifications of the Leica Q-P are identical to those of the serial Leica Q.

The difference is in the camera design:

• Matte black paint finish of the camera body is especially resilient
  • Classic Leica script engraved on the top plate
  • No red Leica dot
  • Lens engravings in red instead of orange.
  • Shutter release button replicating those of the Leica M and CL cameras

The Leica Q-P is on sale from today at 4,995. The camera comes complete with a carrying leather strap and an additional battery.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Zitat

Leica Q-P: The design of the new model of the Leica Q series concentrates on understatement

With the Leica Q-P, Leica Camera AG presents a further model of its high-performance compact camera with a full-frame sensor and a fast prime lens. Lacking the Leica red dot logo, but instead featuring a restrained, classic Leica script engraved on the top plate, the discreet design of the Leica Q-P sets it apart from the existing Leica Q models in silver and black. The matt black paint finish of the camera body is especially resilient and underlines its refined and elegant looks. A new feature of the Leica Q-P is a shutter release button that replicates those of the Leica M and CL cameras.

The Leica Q-P is on sale from today. The camera comes complete with a carrying strap in finest brown leather and an additional battery.

The technical specifications of the Leica Q-P are identical to those of the serial production models of the Leica Q camera. The outstanding feature of all models is a particularly fast Leica Summilux 1:1.7/28 mm ASPH. lens that makes the camera perfect for photography in available light and for street photography, architecture and landscapes. For reliable control of subject composition, the Leica Q-P features an integrated viewfinder with a resolution of 3.68 MP. Even the finest details of every exposure are displayed without any perceptible lag as soon as the camera is brought up to the user’s eye.

All functions of the camera are clearly laid out and logically placed to guarantee perfect ergonomics and particularly intuitive handling. Its clear and logical menu concept provides rapid access to all essential functions and enables users to programme personalised settings.

The Leica Q-P also delivers video recordings in full-HD quality. Depending on the scene and subject, users can choose between 30 and 60 full frames per second for video recording in MP4 format. The camera also features an integrated Wi-Fi module for remote control and digital transfer of still pictures and video to a smartphone with the Leica FOTOS App.

Edited by LUF Admin

I think this camera looks absolutely beautiful...

If I didnt have my M240P, I would go out today and buy one... or order one at least... I'm not sure when the release date/availablity is...

Thats two recent cameras that have really appealed to me... the M10-D appeals greatly, and unlike most people on here, I love the wind on lever 'thumb-rest' and the analogue looking M camera.

All I need now to complete my Leica wish list of a year or so ago would be a built in EVF Leica M... 

One of those would tempt me to sell my M-P and lenses (I only really ever use my 35 Summilux anyway), but I'm not far away from changing to an M10-D either... and with the iPhone app for sending and menu access, it does everything I want. However, with my slowness over rangefinder use and the fact I don't like using an outboard EVF, means a EVF M would be prefect for me... and I could use a 21 or a 90 without issue.

There was a time when I didn't think it was possible... but these two recent cameras show Leica are actually interested in driving their cameras forward and appealing to real users with specific requirements, however small the market may be - and less stuck in the past than they once were.

At this price level, there is no excuse for not doing specific models for small numbers of users... I think it is a really interesting development... 'almost' bespoke cameras in both finish and operation.

good news indeed!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, andrewteee said:

Indeed, the revised power switch is a welcome change. 

That a stealthy black camera comes with a fancy brown strap doesn’t make sense to me. A nice matte black strap would have been a more appropriate companion. 

Worth an extra £400?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, andybarton said:

Worth an extra £400?

Absolutely not in my opinion. In fact I think it is just another typical attempt by Leica to make money by changing the looks and not the functionality (as with the colourways). But I suppose, as long as there are people who would buy pay the money then why not take advantage of it?

What made me laugh was reading the article from the email link where it said that someone had taken it out to test it. As if the testing hasnt already been done for years with the normal Q!!!

Edited by likealot

If only they would step away from the M mindset of 1950 design and functions that appeal to purists.

The form factor is OK as long as you use a grip of some sort. In sustained use the design is not optimal. Needs a better grip surface.

Electronics today can enable a camera to perform and have many functions. Why be bare bones? Why limit your creative possibilities? I'm not suggesting you need the multiple menus that many devices have, but more possibilities are always better than fewer.

The multifunction grip of the Typ 240 is a wonderful way to bring additional functions. Could be done even better today given the state of the art improvements that could be introduced.

These newer camera bodies are nothing more than sensors with the ability to use almost any lens ever produced. That's a huge and wonderful development.

It just makes sense to create useful tools, not something that creates a better image than a cell phone but is limited in its capability.

Disappointed.  "P" has always meant "Premium" with slightly better specs, enhancements, etc.  The only "improvement" is the shutter release -- I "shudder" to think that alone is an upgrade. 

I'll keep carrying my "old" Q everywhere -- with gaffer tape over the dot and mic holes.  It's perfect stealth for the Bear!

Edited by SonomaBear
  • Like 2

I see that they have not changed the OFF-S-C on the newly designed on/off button.

This irritates me every time I use my Q (and has been mentioned by others too). When batteries die so quickly, one way of coping is switching power off and on when you need to shoot - except it goes straight to Continuous about 2 out of 3 times, then you need to faff around to get it back to S, (which is my go to option). If you are a C shooter, great.

Looks lovely, agreed. (I am with the matte black strap camp of opinion - like brown shoes and a black suit.)

• Thanks 1

so the long awaited Q 2 turns out to be a simple cosmetic update.. 

Please don’t waste our time and let’s have a proper update with either a 28-70 f2.8-3.5 with a swivel screen and EVF contacts for travel or a new Q interchangeable lens system albeit larger to accommodate choice.

there is nothing in this new Q that would make me want to update my existing  Q

I use the M240 mainly anyway ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mweaverpics said:

If only they would step away from the M mindset of 1950 design and functions that appeal to purists.

The form factor is OK as long as you use a grip of some sort. In sustained use the design is not optimal. Needs a better grip surface.

Electronics today can enable a camera to perform and have many functions. Why be bare bones? Why limit your creative possibilities? I'm not suggesting you need the multiple menus that many devices have, but more possibilities are always better than fewer.

The multifunction grip of the Typ 240 is a wonderful way to bring additional functions. Could be done even better today given the state of the art improvements that could be introduced.

These newer camera bodies are nothing more than sensors with the ability to use almost any lens ever produced. That's a huge and wonderful development.

It just makes sense to create useful tools, not something that creates a better image than a cell phone but is limited in its capability.

There are many people (including me) who think Q is not barebones enough and the video mode should not have been included at all. I dont think you have understood the purpose of the Q. If what you say is indeed the case then the Q would not have been as sucessful as it is today. Leica produces other cameras which do exactly what you're asking for.

1 hour ago, colint544 said:

Leica Rumors website thinks the Q2 is coming next year - near identical design, but with more megapixels - this looks to be a runout model for the Q.

https://www.instagram.com/colintempleton/

Not the first time that LR makes such claims. The only people that a Q with more megapixels would satisfy are the "spec hunters". In my opinion the current MPs are sufficient for what most of us use the camera for.

The only time I would consider a new Q would be if Leica somehow managed to squeeze a 35mm or 50mm or even a multi focal length lens in the same size as the current one. Otherwise I am very happy with my Q.

1 minute ago, likealot said:

There are many people (including me) who think Q is not barebones enough and the video mode should not have been included at all. I dont think you have understood the purpose of the Q. If what you say is indeed the case then the Q would not have been as sucessful as it is today. Leica produces other cameras which do exactly what you're asking for.

Not the first time that LR makes such claims. The only people that a Q with more megapixels would satisfy are the "spec hunters". In my opinion the current MPs are sufficient for what most of us use the camera for.

The only time I would consider a new Q would be if Leica somehow managed to squeeze a 35mm or 50mm or even a multi focal length lens in the same size as the current one. Otherwise I am very happy with my Q.

The Q is successful because of its price point and who it's target market is.

I'm saying as a general rule per my personal tastes that I prefer a swiss army to a butter knife.

Technology today can allow a small and functional package. That's my point.

No need to suffer because of mechanical limitations anymore. It's all electronics and software in a box that can adapt most any glass ever made.

1 minute ago, mweaverpics said:

The Q is successful because of its price point and who it's target market is.

I'm saying as a general rule per my personal tastes that I prefer a swiss army to a butter knife.

Technology today can allow a small and functional package. That's my point.

No need to suffer because of mechanical limitations anymore. It's all electronics and software in a box that can adapt most any glass ever made.

The Q is successful for the price point for the features it offers. At the same time the Q is also sucessful because of its form factor which is very much similar to that of a M. Technology today can allow what you say but in this case it clearly cant otherwise Leica would have done it. I'm not quite sure what you asking to have in a Q?