Leica Q-P released!

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 11:04 AM, sennsation said:

No fingerprints!  But white marks/scratches from fingernails! 

Does it mean that those scratches remain or can they been removed?

what about other marks or scufs? I can see some marks made by the strap on the body... 

I would like to by one but I would keep it pristine...

Edited by Mamac

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

These cameras are to be used, but if you want to keep it pristine, wrap it in clingfoil and keep it in a safe.

I knew I would had such kind of answord! You can buy nice things and want to keep them in mint condition...

I had several Leica and never had problems, even when they were used daily... But it was silver ones...

You can use them and keep them in good state, even out cling foil...

Edited by Mamac
  • Haha 1

It is entirely reasonable, and possible, to use a camera well AND to keep it pristine. 

Furthermore, if one is spending a very large sum of money on something that is fundamentally a delicate object (it’s not a hammer!), then the desire to keep it safe from damage is , again, perfectly reasonable. 

These pointless comments time and again to the effect of “it’s a tool, it’s meant to be used” are unhelpful. 

Use a padded bag, a half-case, a fitted cover, whatever you want to protect your Q. It’s your camera. 

Edited by Mute-on
  • Haha 1

I don't quite see it that way. "using and keep pristine" is only possible with very light use, and even then. These things are tools, not jewelry. If one  carries a camera  at all times, and I do, it will show marks of use. If you actually operate buttons and dials, they will wear pretty soon. I'm not saying it should be abused, no reason for that, but babying it loses photographic opportunities. A camera inside a bag can take no photograph. As for very delicate object - Leica's are amongst the most solid cameras built. That is what you pay for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Mamac said:

I knew I would had such kind of answord! You can buy nice things and want to keep them in mint condition...

I had several Leica and never had problems, even when they were used daily... But it was silver ones...

You can use them and keep them in good state, even out cling foil...

An example of a body cover to protect a Q 

https://tekiac.de/leica-q-stelthcover/

Hope this helps :)

• 3 weeks later...

The Leica marketing people are geniuses. Who ever thought that you can charge $500 more by not putting the red dot on the Leica Q? Maybe Mercedes can charge $10,000 more by not having the Mercedes markings and putting a cheap plastic grill. Hey, Patek Philippe!!! You people can charge at least $30,000 more by not having the "Patek Philippe" brand name on each and every watch not to mention what you can get if you leave holes where the diamonds used to be!

6 hours ago, Ramesses said:

The Leica marketing people are geniuses. Who ever thought that you can charge $500 more by not putting the red dot on the Leica Q? Maybe Mercedes can charge $10,000 more by not having the Mercedes markings and putting a cheap plastic grill. Hey, Patek Philippe!!! You people can charge at least $30,000 more by not having the "Patek Philippe" brand name on each and every watch not to mention what you can get if you leave holes where the diamonds used to be!

Agreed. In marketing “genius” is knowing what people will pay for and then making it even more valuable on an emotional level. Leica does it, Porsche does it, as do others. The challenge is to acknowledge that these examples are not for everyone and maybe not for you.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 1:24 AM, Ramesses said:

The Leica marketing people are geniuses. Who ever thought that you can charge $500 more by not putting the red dot on the Leica Q?

While I get your point, you are exaggerating a bit to make it. You ignore the fact of the extra battery, custom leather strap, and unique finish of the Q-P.  These things have a cost and add value beyond the base model, whether or not they appeal to you specifically. To omit them in your discussion and pretend Leica is charging $500 solely for removing the red dot (and oh, by the way, engraving the top plate) is rather disingenuous. 

• Like 1

Of course, the sarcastic criticism of Leica's marketing strategy is a well-trodden route when it comes to these things. Simple fact is that people will find this camera attractive, and they will buy it.  My close friend, who owns a Leica Premier dealership here in London, has shifted quite a lot of Q-Ps since launch.

I suppose some people's anger about the whole ethos of the Leica brand is amplified and fuelled by such limited editions, and it spills over into ill-considered rants, even here on this forum, which is a pretty gentle place.

I am enjoying my own Q-P; quite apart from being capable of capturing wonderful photographs (even in my unskilled hands), I consider it to be one of the most attractive Leicas I own, or have owned.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sold my Q Titanium a while back and had been putting off getting a black one when this dropped. Glad I waited.

Not sure if this happened to anyone else, but my lens cap took a significant amount of wrestling to get off the lens to the point I thought it might have been glued on. I'm not sure if that's Leica's middle finger to us saying it has always been too loose, or if it's the added grip of the black paint – probably the latter :)  The aperture ring was also a bit tight from f11-16, but a few back-and-forths, and the issue disappeared. I found it much more difficult to adjust the diopter on the EVF. Not that it was easy before, but I didn't want to dig into the finish with my fingernail, and the mechanism doesn't always firmly "click" between settings, likely due to the grip of the paint on the camera body. At least now that I have it adjusted, I doubt it will ever accidentally get changed.

I'm completely happy with the included strap. It's more dark and more brown than it appears in these photos, but it does show the orange tint to the leather that matches the leaning-toward-orange of the red engraving on the lens. The black buckles and strap hardware is actually a matching stealth black. Nice! I was going to buy another strap, but not after seeing it in person. It's likely to darken with further use. Besides, the strap color that most often matches what I'm wearing is warm brown, and black might be bit to "mono" for my taste. I also like how the strap coordinates with my safari green camera case.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hdmesa

Buckle hardware

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!