Leica Q-P released!

12 hours ago, i-Leica said:

why you don't just accept, that its the same Camera but with different finish, why people always!!! want new features? have you ever visited a store with clothing? any new function in the jacket or jeans? no?..... just new look....? hmmm what a shame, why they do that?...... 

Not sure if your comparison with clothes makes any sense here...

Edited by WvE

Although this is a Q-P, rather than a Q2, thread, at the risk of hijacking it, the most reliable (ha!) rumor is that the Q2 will be coming out next year with the only change being a larger sensor (although I wonder whether Leica won't also adopt the Q-Ps new switch). I suspect this will be the same Maestro III (?) that will be in the SL2, a camera necessitated by the L consortium and the competition from Panasonic's 47 mps sensor camera. Thus the Q2 will be 28 mm with usable photos at least up to the equivalent of 75 mm, maybe 90 mm, especially with third party computational photographic software. It will essentially be all anyone needs, short of a telephoto. How the M series, with only manual focusing and no EVF, will remain attractive to all but ardent old-schoolers (of which, except for my aging eyes, I'd certainly be one) beats me.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, howiebrou said:

Well the Q-P is selling like hot cakes. A dealer i spoke to sold 10 yesterday and almost another 10 by the time i walked in.

I don't find that surprising at all. Red dot or not until Leica eventually attaches that great Sumilux to an updated sensor they will continue to have the best IQ in the smallest FF package in the marketplace. Given competitors are highly unlikely to produce a better lens in that type of package any time soon (if ever), Leica can afford to take whaterver time they want before they update the sensor and other features. People who don't understand that lenses are the key to the best IQ may move on to other brands (for other features and/or to save money) as they get tired of waiting but that's ok with Leica (seems like that has always been Leica's approach).

• Like 2

I now have mine.  It's a thing of beauty; I think it vies for the award of nicest -P derivative Leica has made so far. The unusual matt paint finish, by Swiss Company ILAG, also extends to the lenshood and lenscap, and is superb.

There's an extra battery and a year's subscription to LHSA digital in the box, as well as the usual Adobe stuff.  As you can see, I've left the slightly odd supplied brown strap in the box....

Yes, the makeover is mostly cosmetic, but I love it. And frankly that's good enough for me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jcraf
Typo
  • Like 10

11 hours ago, Viv said:

Thank you. I won't. My Q does everything this new upstart does.

But you seem upset that there’s a ‘nicer’ version on offer. You know ultimately you want the new camera and you feel negative about your Q. It’s not a Q-P and that fact will grate you every time you look at it, until you end up actually hating the thing. 

It’s unfortunate but the only remedy is to swallow your pride and stump up the cash for the new one. Then you can offset the financial pain by telling everyone how much superior the Q-P really is and how the results are much better too so Leica obviously upgraded the sensor/lens but have kept it secret so as not to upset existing Q users.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, hcklr said:

I’ve been a Q shooter for the last year. I ordered my Q-P today and it’s shipping on Monday. I’d love to know how the new shutter switch feels if anyone wants to chime in. 

The shutter switch is a bit more substantial and has a better "feel" when clicking it on. It is harder to overturn it and accidentally activate the "c" instead of "s". I like it.

the only real disappointment in this kit is the included strap. I doubt if anyone will use it. The color is wrong, the texture is too harsh; it is simply not comfortable.

By the way, the camera arrived with firmware 2.0, not 3.0. The first thing I did was upgrade the firmware. It transforms the user experience.

i am pleased that others are commenting on the drop dead beauty of the finish on this camera. It really is sublime. Also, the text on the top is very delicately done. Most photos seem to make the lettering glow a bit. It is elegant and restrained.

enjoy!!

Dave

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bags27 said:

Although this is a Q-P, rather than a Q2, thread, at the risk of hijacking it, the most reliable (ha!) rumor is that the Q2 will be coming out next year with the only change being a larger sensor (although I wonder whether Leica won't also adopt the Q-Ps new switch). I suspect this will be the same Maestro III (?) that will be in the SL2, a camera necessitated by the L consortium and the competition from Panasonic's 47 mps sensor camera. Thus the Q2 will be 28 mm with usable photos at least up to the equivalent of 75 mm, maybe 90 mm, especially with third party computational photographic software. It will essentially be all anyone needs, short of a telephoto. How the M series, with only manual focusing and no EVF, will remain attractive to all but ardent old-schoolers (of which, except for my aging eyes, I'd certainly be one) beats me.

You know, I forgot about the switching frame size feature in the Q, now Q-P.  So I guess I can kiss my dream of one with an actual Tri-Elmar MATE goodbye.  Well, I can always get one for my M4-P.

Another thing is any improvement made with the Q-P would likely carry on over to the Q2, with maybe something else added from customer requests.

PF

10 hours ago, earleygallery said:

But you seem upset that there’s a ‘nicer’ version on offer. You know ultimately you want the new camera and you feel negative about your Q. It’s not a Q-P and that fact will grate you every time you look at it, until you end up actually hating the thing. 

It’s unfortunate but the only remedy is to swallow your pride and stump up the cash for the new one. Then you can offset the financial pain by telling everyone how much superior the Q-P really is and how the results are much better too so Leica obviously upgraded the sensor/lens but have kept it secret so as not to upset existing Q users.

Not at all. I merely point out that the additional "niceness" is much less than the additional cost (insofar as the concept of "niceness" can be quantified).

I have no desire to buy the Q-P, which I could do without any financial pain at all.

10 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Of course, it is possible that you are being ironic, in which case I applaud.

I had already made up my mind that I was going to buy the Q but decided to use some of the extra money I’ve made selling some of my other toys, a Triumph scrambler and Vespa GTS300, to buy the Q-P.  I have no doubt I would have been very happy with the Q but the Q-P really is a georgous piece of gear so I don’t have any regrets at all.

For the last two years I’ve been using a thumb grip on my X100t and, as someone with smaller hands, I think a thumb grip would make handling the Q-P a litttle more comfortable for me which brings me to the actual purpose of my post.

Is there a thumb grip available that would match the matt black finish of the Q-P?

1 hour ago, djhancock said:

Is there a thumb grip available that would match the matt black finish of the Q-P?

I can’t see anything as yet from Match Technical, the makers of the ‘Thumbs Up’ grips.

However, MT have produced grips for the Q in all finishes so far (black, silver and (solid) titanium) so there is a possibility that they’ll do a Q-P one. Let’s hope so; I’d be interested.

Edited by jcraf
Typo