Aligning Visoflex I with LTM camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm attempting to align my Visoflex I with a IIIg body (the eyepiece sits at an odd angle when the camera is screwed in appropriately) - I know about the two screws & have loosened them, enabling the threaded ring to rotate freely.

Are there any alignment marks or do you just adjust by eye +/- spirit level?

Just by eye. Those screws are a lot of fun to undo aren't they. Luckily I had an angle ground screwdriver for adjusting the RF roller infinity on film M cameras, which worked. I think it is best not to undo the screws too much, so it is still quite stiff to turn the Viso 1 body on the mount. On one of my Viso 1's, someone had adjusted the mount 90º out, so that the mask was in the portrait position, with the camera in landscape. The seller thought it was broken and sold it off cheap. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harryzet said:

theres a cutout on the camera-flange at the 9 o'clock position that you have to align with the visoflex, which also has a marking

Found them both & they were in perfect apposition after I initially attempted aligning by eye & a spirit level sitting on top of the visoflex unit

Really thought leica would have used some form of aligning marks

Don't think I've ever seen that described in any manual etc

That's why I love this forum - "collective knowledge" !!

Many thanks Harry

Edited by romualdo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

Just by eye. Those screws are a lot of fun to undo aren't they. Luckily I had an angle ground screwdriver for adjusting the RF roller infinity on film M cameras, which worked. I think it is best not to undo the screws too much, so it is still quite stiff to turn the Viso 1 body on the mount. On one of my Viso 1's, someone had adjusted the mount 90º out, so that the mask was in the portrait position, with the camera in landscape. The seller thought it was broken and sold it off cheap. 

Wilson

That happened to me after I thought I'd adjusted correctly today but it (the mask) was out by 90º - back to readjusting