40mm Rokkor

rnl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm impressed.  Picked up this lens originally intended for a Minota CLE.  

My most patient subject is the subject. The exposure is f/2 with little available light.

Heard about this lens at a Leica workshop last month. Not disappointed. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

This is a lens I’ve wondered about for years but have never actually taken the plunge as I’ve got a 35mm cv and a 50mm Summicron. I’ve been wondering about it again recently as I bought the 40 Canon for my 6D and really like the focal length. 

Did you shave the cam to activate the 35mm lines or are you framing with the 50mm lines? Whichever, how accurate do you find the frame lines? 

Edited by AceVentura1986

I have the Summicron-C 40/2 (not shaven). The Rokkor is the Minolta version. Little great lens.

Edited by epand56
  • Like 5

The Rokkor for the CL was basically like the Summicron C, but I believe the later CLE version was a different and improved design. But as good as the 40 Summicron C is I wouldn't think there was much room for improvement in that era.

6 hours ago, AceVentura1986 said:

This is a lens I’ve wondered about for years but have never actually taken the plunge as I’ve got a 35mm cv and a 50mm Summicron. I’ve been wondering about it again recently as I bought the 40 Canon for my 6D and really like the focal length. 

Did you shave the cam to activate the 35mm lines or are you framing with the 50mm lines? Whichever, how accurate do you find the frame lines? 

I engage the front lever and it's approximately correct.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Compared to the CL version, the CLE version of the M-Rokkor 40/2 came about ten years later with a flat instead of sloping focus cam, 40.5mm instead of series 5.5 filters and a bit less flare than its predecessor. Both were made in Japan contrary to the Summicron-C 40/2 which was made in Germany and was similar to the Rokkor for CL otherwise.

• Thanks 1

I had 40 CLE version in 2017. On M-E and M3. With its original rubber hood. 

I sold it only because it was 40mm lens. 

• Like 2

I've got and use both - they're great - I love small lightweight lenses. 

The Minolta filter size is a very convenient 39mm.  The Summi has drop in 5.5 series filters the shade holds in place.

Since I rarely use filters other than ND's, don't care much.

I tend to use the Summi more (in fact a lot these days), probably due to a silly bias toward the Leica brand on it.

40mm is an interesting length.  With a little practice you'll get a feel for it's boarders in the VF.  Its mounted on my M240 right now.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  After my last post I realized I didn't really like the cap & shade (old & misshapen) on the Summi 40.  I went on Amazon and brought in a 39mm pinch cap.  Fits very securely & on the 240 makes for a very compact package.

I also realized I hardly ever really need a shade anyway.

Nice little upgrade - abt $7

On 11/16/2018 at 8:08 PM, sblutter said:

Update:  After my last post I realized I didn't really like the cap & shade (old & misshapen) on the Summi 40.  I went on Amazon and brought in a 39mm pinch cap.  Fits very securely & on the 240 makes for a very compact package.

I also realized I hardly ever really need a shade anyway.

Nice little upgrade - abt $7

To clarify: the summicron 40 can fit the 39mm pinch cap without any adapter?

alex

5 hours ago, stray cat said:

I imagine it was a 40mm lens when you bought it...

Just like skates are skates. You know it is skates, but you know nothing until you'll try them.

Rokkor 40 CLE was my first 40mm lens for M.

I purchased it because I was not cool with M-E 35 frames, which aren't 35, but closer to 40. 

So, I learned by taking pictures about this focal length on M-E and M3 and realized I still much prefer 35mm lenses, even if they not matching 35 frames in M-E.  

• Thanks 1

I am actually quite a fan of the 40mm focal length, I seem to prefer it to 35mm for whatever reason, though the frame lines aren't always the easiest it is definitely workable. I had the Summicron-C in the past and I had ultimately sold that lens, only to regret it and later buy a CLE Minolta version which I also foolishly sold, and then bought back from the same person lol. I kept it this time. I even had Don Goldberg replace the focus nub thing with a proper concave version and now it's basically perfect. I did file the mount to bring up the 35mm lines and typically the lens is used on my M-A where I find the 35mm framelines to actually fairly closely match with the 40mm focal length at most working distances. 

• Like 1

I love this lens....a real bargain in the Leica world.

Note: Heavystar have a $20 metal hood for the 40mm Summicron, and also an adaptor to take E39 filters (search  "New Metal Hood for Leica Summicron-C")

And for those who haven't already seen it,  KJ Vogelius has a comprehensive review here http://gear.vogelius.se/-reviews/leica-summicron-40/, and a comparison with the Nokton here http://gear.vogelius.se/-editorials/40-vs-40/index.html.

Edited by Guest