Leica 90mm Elmar f/4 lens hood suggestions.

JonVdG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm the happy owner of a 90mm Elmar f/4 and I'd love to hear what folks are using for a hood with this lens. The IUFOO (#12575) is the hood deployed with the lens in the early 1960's, but I'm open to other suggestions. Screw-in (39mm) or clip-on are both fine with me, I'd just like to hear if there's anything in particular that works well for you. Thanks.

Is this the old 9 cm Elmar, and if it is, does it have the 36mm diameter for push-on filters, or is it the more modern version with 39mm screw-in filters?

With the original old version you can only use the "FICUS" hood, which you can extract for 50, 90 and 135mm. For the 39mm-version the IUFOO is the best hood, it is still used in its 12575-version for the modern Macro-Elmar-M . With 39mm-thread you can also use the 12549, originally made for the 2.8/50 Elmar-M (last version), but it won't be very effective. The ITOOY, which was made for the first version of the 1:2.8/50 Elmar would be the better option.

Edited by UliWer

38 minutes ago, UliWer said:

Is this the old 9 cm Elmar, and if it is, does it have the 36mm diameter for push-on filters, or is it the more modern version with 39mm screw-in filters?

With the original old version you can only use the "FICUS" hood, which you can extract for 50, 90 and 135mm. For the 39mm-version the IUFOO is the best hood, it is still used in its 12575-version for the modern Macro-Elmar-M . With 39mm-thread you can also use the 12549, originally made for the 2.8/50 Elmar-M (last version), but it won't be very effective. The ITOOY, which was made for the first version of the 1:2.8/50 Elmar would be the better option.

Thanks for your reply. I have the 39mm version, manufactured in 1964 and referred to as the third version in Leica Wiki. This lens tends not to flare, and I rarely use it in instances where flare would be an issue, so I’m seriously considering the 12549. The ITOOY is interesting though, looks like it has more depth. Do you know that this hood will clip on to this lens?

The regular Leica hood for Elmar 90/4 ELGAM (11830) or ELANG (11730) is the clip-on metal hood IUFOO (12575) which is reversible for transportation. 
I have no experience with this lens but i own its collapsible version ELNOO (11631) that i like much but is one of my most flare prone 90mm lenses i must say. 
As alternatives to the regular IUFOO (12575), i used to use screw-in rubber hoods made for 90mm lenses namely Leitz 11250 and 12517, also an Heliopan 39mm rubber hood. Beware that the 12517 hood is made for the Elmar-C 90/4 which has a different thread pitch to that of M lenses so rather screw this hood into a 39mm filter than directly into the lens. 
The screw-in metal hood (12549) for Elmar-M 50/2.8 is very nice but is almost useless as a shade. The seemingly deeper clip-on metal ITOOY (12580) may be more efficient but i have no experience with it. FWIW.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct
  • Thanks 1

I have a 90 Elmar that was quite susceptible to (central veiling) flare, until I found that the ribbed baffle tube that should line the barrel behind the optical head was missing. I lined it with flat black paper intended for telescope tubes, and it is now much more flare resistant. 

• Like 1

3-Element 1:4/90mm Elmar with ITOOY - it clips on perfectly and you can also fix it upside down:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Though I'd always prefer the original 12575.

• Thanks 1