11-23mm Shipping Update

Mine says "Made in Japan". Some of the primes are made in Germany such as the 35 and 60. They are not in short supply as far as I can see. There could be a lot of components for the 11-23 made in Japan and the final process is in Germany but I am just guessing.

I picked up this lens (11-23mm Super Vario Elmar 3.5-4.5) this past weekend at a popular shop here in Toronto called Downtown Camera. It looks like I might have been the lucky guy who got their last unit as the site now shows that it is on backorder. Nonetheless, keep checking back as they might get receive new supply soon. Good luck!

UPDATE: Looks like Vistek here in Canada might have supply. Listed as special order - but not 'backorder' or 'out of stock'. Might be worth investigating. You might even do well with the currency exchange. 

34 minutes ago, Petercoll said:

Leica Manchester informed me a machine tool for making part of the 11-23mm zoom lens broke months ago, and has not been fixed due to attention on other things in the factory in Germany......

As a potential CL buyer this apparent lack of commitment to the lenses for this system is troubling.  Is that why they were giving away a free “M” adapter?  

1 hour ago, Petercoll said:

Leica Manchester informed me a machine tool for making part of the 11-23mm zoom lens broke months ago, and has not been fixed due to attention on other things in the factory in Germany......

Wow.  Hope they turn attention to this soon.

If it is the machine I am thinking of (I have seen it operating on various visits to Solms), it looks quite old, I would guess from the early days of CNC asymmetric lens grinding. I suspect, if seriously broken, it may have to be replaced rather than repaired, due to unavailability of spare parts etc. It is the machine with a magnetised soft  iron tape, where the magnetic field and tape alignment are computer controlled. The more intense the magnetic field, the more of the paramagnetic grinding medium it picks up on the tape and the more the glass blank is ground. I would not be surprised if this machine dates from the 1980's. If they replace it, they then have to set up the new machine and spend some time turning out prototype elements to make sure that they meet the design spec. 

Wilson

• Like 1

If all this is true it sheds more light on what "Made in ......" means in the C21 - and whether it's a useful descriptor at all. Sounds like Leica could be making the glass elements for a Japanese manufacturer to assemble (with their own AF system??) and put a "Made in Japan" label on.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know of any in stock in UK or the rest of Europe? New or used?
Red Dot, Richard Caplan, Dale, Harrison, ffordes, LCE, Meister, Leica Shop Vienna, PhotoAlps, PhotoSuffren all show out of stock. The Classic Camera says it would ship in 3-5 days, but I'd rather go and look them in the eye before ordering.

Anyone ordered one in the last month or so and received it?

6 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Anyone know of any in stock in UK or the rest of Europe? New or used?
Red Dot, Richard Caplan, Dale, Harrison, ffordes, LCE, Meister, Leica Shop Vienna, PhotoAlps, PhotoSuffren all show out of stock. The Classic Camera says it would ship in 3-5 days, but I'd rather go and look them in the eye before ordering.

Anyone ordered one in the last month or so and received it?

Leica store Manchester have one 11-23mm zoom on their web site at this moment for £1,349 . My TL2, 35mm, 23mm, and 18-56mm all came from them pre-owned and in immaculate order.Please pass on my compliments to Ben, Stuart and Richard if you contact them. Peter

Edited by Petercoll
Added on a sentence of script
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Petercoll said:

Leica store Manchester have one 11-23mm zoom on their web site at this moment for £1,349 . My TL2, 35mm, 23mm, and 18-56mm all came from them pre-owned and in immaculate order.Please pass on my compliments to Ben, Stuart and Richard if you contact them. Peter

Thanks - I forgot to check that shop. Now ordered!

• Like 1