How many M9's out there on original sensor?

martin_horne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mine is.

Wondering how long it will go before its needs to be sorted - I'm currently getting it checked periodically by Leica Manchester and so far so good...

Anyone else still on original sensor and no problems?

Wondering too whether to start a fund for replacement or even get it done regardless in case they run out of parts...

Is there still an upgrade route if mine develops issues?

Thanks for any feedback - I'd love to keep it as it is and continue to have no issues - great camera.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Purchased my M9 new in 2012, it has been used in all types of British weather, with no sign (that I can see) of corrosion.

I frequently change lenses outdoors and do not 'baby' it.

I also do not worry about it, and have no intention of sensor change.

Hope this reassures you 

cheers 

I have two M9s. One has original sensor with a few corrosion spots. I have no intention to have it replaced. I have a Photoshop action that fixes them in a heartbeat. Besides, they are a unique pattern, something like a natural watermark. :)

My M9 was like pico's with a few spots, sent in almost two years ago and traded, the M9 is missed.  My S2 has also developed sensor corrosion, barely visible. Leica is not so forthcoming with replacement, I understand they charge $3-4k.   The price exceeds the value of the camera in $$$, and it's usefulness for me.  

6 hours ago, darylgo said:

Leica is not so forthcoming with replacement, I understand they charge $3-4k.   The price exceeds the value of the camera in $$$, and it's usefulness for me.  

The sensor replacement price is currently EUR 982 (USD 1,120) which includes an overhaul:

The general overhaul of the Leica M camera includes the following items:

• Cleaning and overhaul of the shutter cocking mechanisms
• Cleaning and maintenance/repair of the multifunction wheel
• Cleaning of the main switch and shutter speed dial
• Adjustment of the baseplate locking system
• Refurbishment of engravings
• Renewal of the protective film on the baseplate
• Maintenance/repair of viewfinder displays

http://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2017/CCD-sensors-of-the-Leica-M9-M9-P-M-Monochrom-and-M-E-camera-models

:)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Jono, 

Thanks for the info.  The $3-4k price is in reference to my Leica S2  that has developed very slight corrosion, so far.  Leica has barely acknowledged it and unlike the M system there doesn't appear to be the numbers necessary to be a big  PR backlash.  The S system now suffers broken focus motors and sensor corrosion.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My M9, purchased by me, second hand, January 2014, is on it's original sensor. I usually use it with a fast aperture and suppose I am not likely to notice it in my normal picture taking with that camera, as soon as it begins to show.. It has been checked annually at Leica Store Ginza and they do not see any evidence of corrosion but they warn me that the future is not sure. For now no problem. 

I have hopes of being spared sensor corrosion issues but plan to just have it repaired rather than upgrade as I slightly prefer the M9 to the Type 240

My M-E bought new in August 2013 is on its third sensor. The first one(cracked) was replaced under warranty in 2015, and I noticed early this year the second was showing signs of the dreaded corrosion. Took it into Camera Clinic in Melbourne June just 2 months before the 5 year sensor warranty expired. Received it back in perfect working order in September. For that I consider myself lucky. Sensor replacement Downunder is over A$1500. I just wouldn't have been prepared to fork out that amount of money and had resolved to live with the corrosion if it had manifested after the warranty period. Good luck to those living with the original sensor. It's such a great camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I've still got an original sensor in my M9 - I got it for a good enough price that it didn't bother me. But I recall phoning Leica at some point to ask them about how likely it is to show signs of corrosion in the future, and the guy on the phone said that if it doesn't have corrosion by this point, it's highly unlikely to. Not impossible, but in the British climate, I don't feel it's anything to worry about really. 

On 11/20/2018 at 3:01 PM, Luke_Miller said:

Over on the Rangefinderforum is a long running poll of user experience with the corrosion issue.  A majority of respondents say they have not experienced it on their original sensors.

And we might assume that users with trouble are more likely to respond to (or even find) such a poll on the Internet.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

And we might assume that users with trouble are more likely to respond to (or even find) such a poll on the Internet.

I would appreciate an expert to inform us of the nature of consumer reported complaints. In LUF the reports seem to be informed (is it dust or corrosion?) Our participants are usually accurate when shown evidence. That's a whole difference than when consumers complain about toasters.

Another issue regards the positive critical attention of LUF that Leica consumers generally are not trying to correct the marketplace with complains, "Not advanced enough technology" which is really the subtext of so many Asian marketplace complaints which result, so far, in opaque camera interfaces. Leica improves in that regard with every model.

So far, all is well.

Edited by pico