Sensor spots that don't show up in dust detection mode

Morrison

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Any advice for really stubborn sensor spots remaining after cleanings with a rocket blower and an Eyelead sensor stick (the Leica/Sony version). My Dust Detection screen is totally clean following treatment, so I certainly got the worst bits off, but dozens of shadowy spots are still visible when I shoot an actual homogenous image immediately after cleaning (clear dust detection screen) and blow it up.

I bought my M-P 240 used from a camera shop, so I don't know its provenance (e.g., may have come from a humid climate where pollen is a problem). I didn't realize how filthy the sensor was until it was too late to return it. I previously bought supplies for wet cleaning and was frustrated that my efforts sometimes introduced as much dirt as I lifted. I never got the dust detection screen to go totally clean until I tried the Eyelead.

I wouldn't really worry about it under most shooting circumstances, but I shoot a lot at long exposures to depict motion and blur, and if I'm working in daylight I'm necessarily at a very small aperture, often max, to keep the shutter open long enough. The only solution that occurs to me if I can't totally eradicate the dust is to buy some stronger ND filters so that I can open up the aperture during long exposures. That said, I'd ideally like to start with a clean sensor if anyone has ideas to take cleaning to the next level. For instance, has anyone here (cautiously) used the stronger Eyelead sensor stick on their M sensor with safe results? 

I appreciate your time and advice. Thank you!

Teresa

6 hours ago, Morrison said:

Hi all,

Any advice for really stubborn sensor spots remaining after cleanings with a rocket blower and an Eyelead sensor stick (the Leica/Sony version). My Dust Detection screen is totally clean following treatment, so I certainly got the worst bits off, but dozens of shadowy spots are still visible when I shoot an actual homogenous image immediately after cleaning (clear dust detection screen) and blow it up.

I bought my M-P 240 used from a camera shop, so I don't know its provenance (e.g., may have come from a humid climate where pollen is a problem). I didn't realize how filthy the sensor was until it was too late to return it. I previously bought supplies for wet cleaning and was frustrated that my efforts sometimes introduced as much dirt as I lifted. I never got the dust detection screen to go totally clean until I tried the Eyelead.

I wouldn't really worry about it under most shooting circumstances, but I shoot a lot at long exposures to depict motion and blur, and if I'm working in daylight I'm necessarily at a very small aperture, often max, to keep the shutter open long enough. The only solution that occurs to me if I can't totally eradicate the dust is to buy some stronger ND filters so that I can open up the aperture during long exposures. That said, I'd ideally like to start with a clean sensor if anyone has ideas to take cleaning to the next level. For instance, has anyone here (cautiously) used the stronger Eyelead sensor stick on their M sensor with safe results? 

I appreciate your time and advice. Thank you!

Teresa

This may not be helpful, but you might want to closely inspect the Lens front and back glass. If the sensor is showing clean when you look at the Dust Detection, it is possible that what you are seeing on your images is actually on the Lens Glass. You may want to view the Lens glass with a magnifier or goggles using a bright light source.
Happy hunting.

From my previous experience with M240 dirty sensor: after trying to clean it by myself with poor results, I gave my camera to the Leica Store in my town and had it back Spic & Span cleaned after one week.
I don't know why, but while my M8 sensor was very simple to be cleaned at home, the M240's is to me totally impossible. Any time I cleaned it was much dirtier.

Edited by epand56

Have your camera professionally cleaned and then ignore or retouch spots that are annoying.
I know that doesn't help but dust will drive the digital photographer crazy if you dwell on it.
Most of the time its in a place that is hidden or easily retouched.
I'm sure your putting in Post processing time anyway put in another 10 or 15 minutes of clean up on the keepers
.....more time on the shots you actually print.

Try to avoid f/16, 22

Yep.... Everything you already know. I really do feel your exact pain but honestly there is no real solution a perfectly "clean room" camera.

Oh and stop using the dust deduction to confirm that you do in fact has dust in your camera.
......we all do...there really is no solution beyond what you already know.

I know its a terrible answer.
Edited by ECohen

Sensor cleaning is very easy and shouldn't drive you crazy. Start with a wet clean using a fluid designed to take off sticky dust or oil. These can sometimes leave a film on the sensor themselves, so repeat again with your standard cleaner. Finish with your Eyelead.

Don't be afraid to use small apertures, you paid for them, you use them. It is highly unlikely that your lens is focusing its dust on your sensor. Don't put up with dust and rely on cloning it out or one day you'll find you need to clone it out in an area of detail that's awkward to repair.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, jaeger said:

could it be hot pixels? 

I think if you need to ask if it's hot pixels or dust then the difference in appearance is so vast that you should just stop. Take a breath and hold onto your seat while a person who is kind enough tells you what the difference is.

A dust spot is dark and mostly irregular when zoomed in on.

Other types of spots are mostly round or irregularly shaped and could be pollen, oil, grease, etc.

A hot pixel shows up as white.

A dead pixel shows up as black or dark.

Both hot and dead pixels are square or rectangular in shape.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 250swb said:

I think if you need to ask if it's hot pixels or dust then the difference in appearance is so vast that you should just stop. Take a breath and hold onto your seat while a person who is kind enough tells you what the difference is.

someone is on speed...

8 minutes ago, roverover said:

The OP has not posted a photo or responded.

Maybe his or her spots have cleared up after using a proprietary solution? I have advised people to use a vacuum cleaner nozzle covered in muslin, with the vacuum cleaner itself outside the room. It works for me and another member used my advice and successfully removed his dust spots using a similar method. 

If the dust is in or on the lens then try a different lens.