Godox Remote for SL

ron777

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am a longtime Leica user and a new SL owner.  With my various other mirrorless systems, I have been using a Godox lighting system with their camera specific remotes. I have note been able to find a Godox companion remote for the Leica SL and wonder if any other users have had a similar experience and if they've arrived at a workable solution?

Thank you in advance

I'm not aware of any Leica-specific Godox trigger. I use the XPro on the SL - I can't remember if it's the Canon or Nikon version (it's buried in a cupboard at the moment).
You don't get TTL or HSS but it works fine for manual control of multiple flashes. I use it with the V850 and AD200.

Hi Ingo,

Which flash do you use with your SL? 

I am looking for a flash that works. I tried my old Nikon SB-800. It kinda works but not all the time. Sometimes it interfere with the SL’s menu system and then I cannot change ISO settings or the EVF keeps blinking. :(

And Yes, I have no plan for TTL and HSS with SL. 

Edited by arvin

Thank you all for your repli

I have several Godox Xpros that work well with other camera systems and I would like to duplicate their functions with the SL, sans TTL, which I never use. If LocalHero 1953 ever locates his XPro, i would be interested to know if it is the Canon or Nikon version.

Thank you again.

Just now, ron777 said:

I have several Godox Xpros that work well with other camera systems and I would like to duplicate their functions with the SL, sans TTL, which I never use. If LocalHero 1953 ever locates his XPro, i would be interested to know if it is the Canon or Nikon version.

Thank you again.

It’s most likely the Nikon version. 

18 minutes ago, ron777 said:

Thank you again.

Just checked - it wasn't buried deep. 

The short answer is the Canon version.

The long answer is that it is not the Godox labelled XPro, but the Pixapro ST-IV(C), which is how it is badged and sold in the UK (though Godox-badged ones are also available here). My AD200s are similarly Pika200s, and my V850s are Pixapro 580-II(M). They are identical to Godox other than the brand label - so I had actually forgotten this when I made my previous post. I bought the Pixapro versions because the company offered a better warranty than the Godox-badged importer. I had previously tested the Godox XPro Canon version before making the purchase.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Thanks 1

vor 9 Stunden schrieb arvin:

Hi Ingo,

Which flash do you use with your SL? 

I am looking for a flash that works. I tried my old Nikon SB-800. It kinda works but not all the time. Sometimes it interfere with the SL’s menu system and then I cannot change ISO settings or the EVF keeps blinking. :(

And Yes, I have no plan for TTL and HSS with SL. 

For remote flash I use(d) Godox AD200 and the mentioned trigger. 
For on camera flash I use Leica SF40 and SF60.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Just checked - it wasn't buried deep. 

The short answer is the Canon version.

The long answer is that it is not the Godox labelled XPro, but the Pixapro ST-IV(C), which is how it is badged and sold in the UK (though Godox-badged ones are also available here). My AD200s are similarly Pika200s, and my V850s are Pixapro 580-II(M). They are identical to Godox other than the brand label - so I had actually forgotten this when I made my previous post. I bought the Pixapro versions because the company offered a better warranty than the Godox-badged importer. I had previously tested the Godox XPro Canon version before making the purchase.

Thank you for checking.

It is interesting that apparently both the XPro Nikon and Canon work with the SL.  Do they both have the same pin arrangement?

Edited by ron777

1 hour ago, ron777 said:

Thank you for checking.

It is interesting that apparently both the XPro Nikon and Canon work with the SL.  Do they both have the same pin arrangement?

I don't know, but all they need is a central trigger pin, and that none of the other pins and the SL's other pins interfere with each other.

FWIW I had Pocketwizards before the Godox, and used the Nikon-format MiniTT1 as a trigger.

• Thanks 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb LocalHero1953:

I don't know, but all they need is a central trigger pin, and that none of the other pins and the SL's other pins interfere with each other.

FWIW I had Pocketwizards before the Godox, and used the Nikon-format MiniTT1 as a trigger.

Valuable information,. thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ron777 said:

Just a note of thanks.  The Godox/Flashpoint R2 Pro N(Nikon) remote and AD200 combination work well with the Leica SL.

Just curious to know if you are able to control the AD200 power level from your Godox trigger mounted to the SL’s hot shoe?

13 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

Just curious to know if you are able to control the AD200 power level from your Godox trigger mounted to the SL’s hot shoe?

Yes, there is instantaneous response to changes made on the remote when attached to camera. I have now tested it with the AD 200 and 600Pro and both work as desired. I do not and have never used TTl, so its functional  absence with the SL is a non issue.

16 hours ago, ron777 said:

Yes, there is instantaneous response to changes made on the remote when attached to camera. I have now tested it with the AD 200 and 600Pro and both work as desired. I do not and have never used TTl, so its functional  absence with the SL is a non issue.

Shooting with manual flash is fine by me. A higher power strobe such as the 600 would be a useful tool outdoors against stronger light but no HSS can be handicap although shooting HSS isn't a breeze when the demand on power can be alot when shutter speed goes beyond 1/2000 sec. Btw I use the Nissin MG10 controlled by SF C1 trigger as the 165Ws output isn't far off from the AD200 with full TTL/HSS when required.

On 11/27/2018 at 12:19 AM, ron777 said:

Agreed. While the Godox/Flashpoint 600 and Xpro remote are HSS capable, the function is not compatible with the SL  If I anticipate the need for HSS, I switch to a different camera system, such as the Sony a7rIII.  

I only have Leica M & SL system and not any other cameras.