In praise of the TL lenses

ynp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some time ago I gave a Family member a TL-1 16 mpx with the Vario Elmar 18-56mm and the Summicron 23mm. 

Couple weeks  ago she asked me to print some of the pictures from her trip to Greece and there was a mix of files from my relative’s camera and her friend ‘s Sony 6300 with the Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar 16-70mm. I was really surprised the 16 mpx Leica TL files very often looked better than the 24 mpx Sony files. The only explanation I have is that the Leica medium range Zoom is not that bad as some people say at forums. I even don’t want to talk about the 23mm. It was extremely good even on the older TL-1 if compared with the Sony Zoom. 

It make me wonder  if I shall try the CL or TL2 as a system EVF camera for my own use. The price of the TL35/1.4 looks too high but I have several m-mount lenses to use in Manual.

Got to save a bit of money over the next months before the summer vacation. 😂 

Yevgeny  

Edited by ynp
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

All of the TL/CL  family of lenses do an excellent job, although they seem to be in short supply now.  And the CL is a very natural to use platform that gets the most out of them.  Go for it.

Thank you, Scott!

I decided to get the TL1 back for the next weekend and try the camera myself. BTW there’s no problem with getting the new T lenses in Moscow, although they are about 30% more expensive than in Europe. 

Loved your recent m10 -D review. Beautiful photos!

Yevgeny 

The new partnership with Sigma will bring some more great lenses to the system too.

APSC-wise they make 16mm, 30mm, 56mm all at F1.4. These lenses get very good reviews, especially the 16mm.

For me the Leica 35mm 1.4 TL lens is a little too big and heavy for a small APSC camera. The Sigma 30mm 1.4 might make a good alternative, being much lighter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have found all the TL lenses I have used to be of excellent quality 11-23, 18-56, 55-135, 23, 35. not tried the 18 or the 60mm but the latter is on my radar.

I find the 35mm Lux to balance nicely with the CL especially with the thumb & grip.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/3/2018 at 7:43 AM, ynp said:

Some time ago I gave a Family member a TL-1 16 mpx with the Vario Elmar 18-56mm and the Summicron 23mm. 

Couple weeks  ago she asked me to print some of the pictures from her trip to Greece and there was a mix of files from my relative’s camera and her friend ‘s Sony 6300 with the Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar 16-70mm. I was really surprised the 16 mpx Leica TL files very often looked better than the 24 mpx Sony files. The only explanation I have is that the Leica medium range Zoom is not that bad as some people say at forums. I even don’t want to talk about the 23mm. It was extremely good even on the older TL-1 if compared with the Sony Zoom. 

It make me wonder  if I shall try the CL or TL2 as a system EVF camera for my own use. The price of the TL35/1.4 looks too high but I have several m-mount lenses to use in Manual.

Got to save a bit of money over the next months before the summer vacation. 😂 

Yevgeny  

I have both the original T and TL2 (and have tried the CL).  I found very little difference between the image quality amongst them.  If you can live with 16mp the T is still a great choice, particularly as it is so reasonable on the pre-owned market.  If $ is not a factor in your decision, the CL with the built in viewfinder and faster autofocus would be my choice.  For me, having some other Leicas, however, the tactile feel and beautiful looks of the T line won out.

I'd echo the previous comments that the T lens options are superb. (And, if you have use for the 60mm focal length, the TL option is as good as the 35 1.4 TL).

Rob

• Like 1

Thank you, Rob! Very useful comparison of the cameras and lenses from a person with a first hand experience. Greatly appreciate your input  👍 , thank you for your advice re the 60mm. Definitely, I will try to source the Macro.

I had an SL for several months and used it with my S and M lenses. That’s why I know what to expect from a Leica EVF camera. While I was happy with the image quality, the SL was a bit too heavy to be a travel camera. It’s easier for me to pack my S2-P with the Contax lightweight lenses into my F-Stop module than carry the SL with its Zoom lenses. I initially thought that the SL would fit the role of a backup camera for my S2, but I found out that it stays in the bag. 

I use the 16 mpx X-U as my travel camera and I am happy with its sensor. I don’t usually need the sensor resolution, my topical output is A3 and Web.  I have already bought two TL lenses, the medium Zoom and the Summicron 23mm. I still have two M-to-T adapters and want to use my M lenses alongside the 18-56 when I find the CL locally.  The CL will be my travel and every day camera when I don’t want to carry my S2. 

Yevgeny 

4 hours ago, ropo54 said:

I have both the original T and TL2 (and have tried the CL).  I found very little difference between the image quality amongst them.  If you can live with 16mp the T is still a great choice, particularly as it is so reasonable on the pre-owned market.  If $ is not a factor in your decision, the CL with the built in viewfinder and faster autofocus would be my choice.  For me, having some other Leicas, however, the tactile feel and beautiful looks of the T line won out.

I'd echo the previous comments that the T lens options are superb. (And, if you have use for the 60mm focal length, the TL option is as good as the 35 1.4 TL).

Rob

• Like 1