M9 colors

tobey bilek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a limited opportunity time to take some fall pics and the M9 and 50 Rigid Summicron were easily available.  I have had this lens since 1985 and it is as close to perfect as one will ever find.  Anyway the sun was out for some short time and there were large cumulous clouds in the scene.   This body /lens gave outstanding colors and at 5.6 the background trees still maintained focus and contrast unlike the more modern lenses.

Problem is flcker will no longer link to outside sources so I can not show it.   Is there a free or nearly free site that will link so I can show?

I can’t find you in flickr under the name tobey. But as you can see below, I work with zenfolio and that is because I couldn’t stand the lay-out of flickr (looks like ads in an oldtimers magazine), very happy with it. 

Edited by otto.f

Sorry for the photo, i’m just keen to see if flickr works here or not

Impatience by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

edit:

yes 🙂

Click the share link, then select bbcode

Edited by Adam Bonn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M9 colours are terrible. Waay exaggerated and over-saturated, especially the blues. Moreover, the reds are too purplish. You can correct this but it will take extra effort in post-processing.

When shooting under dull and cloudy skies then the hyperbolic colour rendition may appear speciously beneficial because it makes everything look bigger than life. But when you're after nice and realistic representation then you will start to hate the M9's out-of-the-box colour rendition sooner rather than later.

I had the Rigid on my M-E at this time of the year , two years ago. It was good lens on digital, but too sterile on BW film. Went for IV and it was giving amazing colors, nothing like bashing comment here. I'm with III now and it is better lens for BW film, but I haven't tried it with M-E, using Jupiter-3 at f1.5 instead, it is dark here.

Back to bashing M9 colors, I'm noticing it under bright sun and with modern, coded Leica ASPH lens. With older and non Leica not really.

It reminds me Zeiis ZE glass on EOS sensors. First time I have to desaturate my RAW files.

In general it was already mentioned many times, M9 sensor renders like slide film scans. Some if not many likes it. I do slides couple of times per year. Just to see it. M9 is about the same, not so much of DR and plenty of contrast, if modern Leica lens is in use.

With IV Cron it wasn't the problem. In opposite it gave me best red I ever seen on digital.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blues, most notably skies are indeed somewhat saturated on that ccd sensor, whether one thinks it's exaggerated/ over saturated is obviously subjective.  Being in my honeymoon period, I'm loving it.

5 hours ago, 01af said:

When shooting under dull and cloudy skies then the hyperbolic colour rendition may appear speciously beneficial because it makes everything look bigger than life.

Absolutely.

I'm just a year into my M9s but I have to say I do like the colours from them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I am an even bigger fan of the S2/S006 sensors for color.  I agree that the JPGs can be a bit too intense at times, but the DNGs and Kodak Bayer filter are on a whole new level.  

Interestingly, the Leica Q has spectacular color with sRGB but the only way I can get anything close to acceptable on a wide gamut display is to use the “No color correction” option. It is as if the Q in an early generation had one color matrix and in future versions had another but the software guys never updated.